Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Nikki_Nikk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare Question

well everyone already said what I was going to say!

You mamas are on top of it! Lol

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #12
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Would you mind posting your childcare interview questions here?
I called my local agency Childcare Links for referrals as well as checked out Craig's list. I screened over the phone about 20 places in 3 cities (my city and the neighboring two). Then I went to check out 6 places over the course of 2 weeks with my son. Yeah, I am anal about my children - they are the most precious thing in the world to me.
I have a child psych degree and have been a Dir of Preschool center. So as I interviewed the provider I also evaluated how well my child got along with the other children already enrolled. I disqualified one place because there was a bully.

Here's my Childcare Worksheet [It is centered around a home facility. For a large center I would ask: How long has your most senior provider been w/ you (turn-over questions)? What is the actual qualified personnel to aid ratio? What type of learning discpline do you adhere to (Monterssori, Learn thru Play, structured)?]
Provider Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email:
Qualifications:
License (Number and Max): [For the final 3 candidates I did check out the license facilities with the local agency. For unlicensed places I checked references and also asked if they have background check (Trustline) or would be willing to take one.]
Regular Hours:
Vacation and Holidays: (I also asked if there was a back-up plan if she was sick)
1) Weekly Cost
2) Ratio
3) Current Enrollment – Ages and gender - comments
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4
e. 5
4) Distance from home:
5) Facilities (Nap environment): Nap Hours
6) Activities (Potty training and Circle Time example):
7) Meal Example:
8) Daily Routine Example:
9) Additional notes/cost/considerations

When I asked one lady if she had any additional qualifications other than her ECE units (12 Early Childhood Education units is all it takes to be a childcare provider in CA) she said yes and then spewed BS acronyms, like they were real certification or classes that she took. The cheapest place I went to check-out cuz it was cheap and the ratio was 1:3 max - the 2 yr old had a vocabulary of about 25 words and she thought that was OK. Her place was old and not very clean and didn't have AC. (So I guess you do pay for what you get). Then there was this one lady who "said" all the right thing but her 2 enrollees were 4 and 4.5 yrs old and still not potty trained. Um, if she had spent time PT they would have gotten it (even w/o parents help). What was the 4.5 yr old going to do in several months when he needed to go to kindergarten?
My a good parent would never abuse another's child. Now an abusive parent - well that's different. Someone wrote that her mother owned a license home dc and abused children. It turns out that her mother did the same things to her and her sis.

Last edited by Mommimi; 07-16-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Mommimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:49 AM   #13
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have an answer, but I'll share what has happened to us and that might help.
When I went back to work, Haydn went to stay with Pat, my bff's mom during the day. She loved him and he loved her. She was his mamaw and things were wonderful. DH and I work 30miles away from home, in opposite directions, and she lived where I work, so I did drop off and pick up and everything was great. She was diagnosed with lung cancer when Haydn was 13 mos. It was like the rug was pulled out from under us. We had no family to help, no friends who didn't work. We both had to take several days off work while we tried desperately to find something new. We tried an in home and it was horrible. The woman had her own children and one other and mine, and my son and her daughter did not get along. So, she put him in a Pack N Play in a tiny room and let him scream all day. We left after less than 2 full days. We finally found a daycare center close to dh's work. Now he does drop off and pick up, and I have taken on some of his home responsibilities. Haydn loves his teachers and the other kids and he's learned alot.
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change that first year. It was hard when it ended abruptly, but she was his world. She held him off and on all day, never let him cry, held him for sleep. She bought him toys, played with him, loved him, treated him like her own. It was priceless.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say to all the mamas looking for dc - trust your instinct. If everything else logically seems right but it doesn't "feel" right then it is NOT right for your child. Money aside, you have to be able to feel OK about placing your child there all day.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
We tried an in home and it was horrible. The woman had her own children and one other and mine, and my son and her daughter did not get along. So, she put him in a Pack N Play in a tiny room and let him scream all day. We left after less than 2 full days.
Yes, group dynamics is very important. Your child will the the new kid in school. It maybe a good school/dc but one kid that your child does not get along with can ruin the experience.
Sorry that Haydn had to mis-treated like that. The provider favored her daughter and didn't know how to properly manage conflict.