Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What fabrics can you snappi?

I need to be on the frugal side when diapering our next lo due in 3 months and want to make some dipes. I was thinking some simple fitteds and maybe some pf type dipes. I dont have a snap press (it is on my Christmas list ) so for now I just have the snappi as my option. I have pins but am horrible at them. So what types of fabrics will a snappi work with? I tried using one with a flannel receiving blanket on dd and it didnt work that great. Would other cotton material work? Or maybe terry cloth? I would like to reuse fabric I have or recycle some used clothing for this to be extra cheap Any ideas on fabric? TIA

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
kaylasclothkits
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What fabrics can you snappi?

Terry is great. Anything with a bit of give to the fabric. Just walk around your house or the fabric store with your snappi and try it out!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasclothkits View Post
Just walk around your house or the fabric store with your snappi and try it out!
I was thinking of doing that, lol It's a sure way to figure it out even if I look crazy.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
oldmanpants
Registered Users
seller

I generally use cotton tshirt material for contours. Sometimes if the material is of the stiffer variety, the Snappi won't dig in that well. The super-soft tshirt material tends to work the best. A Snappi also digs in pretty well to the reverse side of sweat shirt, which is also pretty soft. Just be careful with those though: hardly any sweatshirts are 100% cotton. (I was shocked to find this out, but it's true.)

So I didn't do this with my son but I read somewhere that you could CD a nb with those big fluffy terry washcloths that you can usually find for $1 or less apiece. I held a washcloth up recently to a hempbabies dipe that I remember using on DS when he was a nb and wouldn't you know it, they're about the same size. I know it would only do for a few weeks, but it could save you some time and money??? Just a thought!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Phiasmom0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Usually snappi friendly is going to be a knit material like terrys, flannel, etc. Non snappi friendly is usually going to be a woven, like cotton quilting prints, velours, etc.

terry cloth
Sherpa
Hemp french terry is snappiable on the loopy side. (hemp is not)
loose twill or gauze
birdseye
stretch terry
sweatshirt fabric

What kind of flannel are you using? I use the flannel blankets I got at my baby shower as flats. She is 16 months and they are still doing good with a snappi. Maybe you have a really tight weave flannel. The cheap flannel at walmart or the blankets are both good. Although the cheap flannel at walmart fades.

HTH

Kate a CDing addict ,wife to
Tony , & mom to Phia IHV list ISO - ISO Get $10 for signing up at Hits4Pay, $5 when you sign up for Ebates also tryMr.Rebates Be careful of your thoughts, they may become words at any moment.

Phiasmom0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
beachmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can always add "snappi patches" if there's a fabric you want to use that the snappi doesn't work well on.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
sweetmonkey
Registered Users

I am new here and mostly just lurking. Here is a site I saw and plan to use for prefolds. They are both cute and cheap!!!

diaperfabric.com/sew-a-prefold-from-old-t-shirts
sweetmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote