Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Next step formulas?

My ds is now 11 months old. Our ped has told up that he can have whole milk at 1 year, but I am considering using enfamil next step. Mostly due to the fact that I dont think that he will get enough nutrition from the foods he eats. he usually has yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast, an 8oz bottle, for lunch he has some meat, some cheese and another bottle. At dinner, he has a veggie and whatever we eat for dinner. I would really like to get him on more table foods, but he only has 4 teeth and doesnt seem to mush well yet.
Thoughts? Am I just being silly and should save $$ and go with whole milk? I am confused!

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Next step formulas?

My DD is 11m, eats really well with four teeth but is bf so I don't know. All the evidence says its okay, but if he is not eating well, keep up the formula for a while. We use baby food recipes from this site and freeze it. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ I personally would stick to the formula if that is what I was feeding until at least 18 months and if DD weans herself before then I would do that too. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
TLBW31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MY dd is on the toddler formula still at 16 mos. She eats a lot but most of her faves are fruits and veggies and she won't drink much whole milk in a day and its hard to get a lot in her beside fruits/veggies. She takes 6-10 oz of the toddler formula in the morning (6 oz) and sometimes another 4 in the evenings. She drinks milk at meals but only 2 oz or so at a time. It's working well for us.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 18 mo old is still on formula.. go with your gut Mama.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
GFBakingQueen
Registered Users

I had my oldest on regular formula until he was nearly 2yrs old. He was so small and skinny.

My last baby is on raw goats milk and he is chunky compared to our other kids, he has thighs!

Over the years my idea of what is safe has changed and for me the corn syrup in formula is a huge concern for me. Corn is in everything and I don't think it is helping Americans at all. I think it is the leading cause of the obesity epidemic -- the processed nature of the corn derivatives, they are straight carbs and turn into straight fat, not sugar used by the brain (glucose). Glycolysis does not seem to happen the same way with corn.

I also have come to believe pasteurized dairy is poison. If you feed pasteurized dairy to a baby calf, it will die. Pasteurized dairy goes putrid when it turns bad, raw dairy naturally sours to a sweet sour and is not "bad".
realmilkdotcom might be worth reading.

Nutritioning traditions has a raw milk formula, I have a friend making that for her baby.
GFBakingQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBakingQueen View Post
I had my oldest on regular formula until he was nearly 2yrs old. He was so small and skinny.

My last baby is on raw goats milk and he is chunky compared to our other kids, he has thighs!

Over the years my idea of what is safe has changed and for me the corn syrup in formula is a huge concern for me. Corn is in everything and I don't think it is helping Americans at all. I think it is the leading cause of the obesity epidemic -- the processed nature of the corn derivatives, they are straight carbs and turn into straight fat, not sugar used by the brain (glucose). Glycolysis does not seem to happen the same way with corn.

I also have come to believe pasteurized dairy is poison. If you feed pasteurized dairy to a baby calf, it will die. Pasteurized dairy goes putrid when it turns bad, raw dairy naturally sours to a sweet sour and is not "bad".
realmilkdotcom might be worth reading

Nutritioning traditions has a raw milk formula, I have a friend making that for her baby.
That's interesting! Thanks.
Where did your friend find the raw milk formula?
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm now making formula but I'll be giving it to DS until he is at least 18 months old. He eats well but he's so skinny that I just feel better not giving him milk right away. Plus, I'm an extended BF advocate, so this is the next best thing.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah, had if I been able to breastfeed, I would have done ebf. But mother nature put a kink in those plans. We are also trying to get him to gain some weight. Damn reflux!!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
jausten
Registered Users
seller

DD is 14 months and still on formula since she doesn't eat much solids.
expecting #2 sept 2010
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote