Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
esoloj
Registered Users
seller

Preventing pregnancy...

I am expecting baby #4 and we think this will be our last but I still am not ready to do anything "permanent". I have always been one who conceives easily so we need to be really careful but I'm not sure what we should use. I won't use the pill or any other hormonal contraceptive because it does weird things to me (Jekyll and Hyde). We have used condoms but have conceived twice while using (operator error, not quite). I almost feel like we are going to have to double up and choose two methods of BC just to be safe. Am I crazy or what? Baby #4 isn't due until March 26, 2007 but I am already stressing about this! Anyone have any suggestions? Forgive me if this seems insensitive to those who try so hard to conceive.

Erika

Advertisement

esoloj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preventing pregnancy...

If you know that this is your last, why aren't you ready to do something permanent? Just curious.
Anyway, I'm much like you. Conceive VERY easily.. never actually had the pleasure of trying. Once we decide for certain that we are DONE, dh will get snipped. Till then.. we use condoms as well as keeping track (as best we can) of when I'm fertile. I don't chart or anything as my body gives off pretty textbook signs, so I know when I'm ovulating and we are *extra* careful at those times. My dh kept saying after our fourth was born "We're not having any more. We're done." and I warned him "Until you do something permanent to prevent, you may not want to say such things."
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Have you considered getting fitted for a diaphragm? I am planning on doin' that pretty soon here.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I would suggest charting which can be just as effective as hormonal birth control if done correctly, or a diaphram as pp suggested. We have used spermicide in conjunction with condoms and had good results lol
Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Summer
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: Preventing pregnancy...

I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's very informative and will teach you how to "learn" your body signs and when you are the most fertile. It's great for trying to get pg or natural birth control.
Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
babiesabove
Registered Users
seller

We will never do anything permanent here. Having lost a son at 22 months we've learned not to limit our options. I tried the diaphragm too much work. What about a copper IUD?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I third the temping and condoms or diaphragm. TCOYF- the book someone else mentioned- is GREAT. I give it to sisters and friends who get married and want to start a family or wait a while. It sounds like a lot of work but once you get used to it it's really very easy and fascinating.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in the same situation after our last baby. I decided to get the mirena IUD it's hormonal not copper. I had the same mood swings w/ the pill but this is so much less hormone that I haven't noticed any difference (DH seconds this LOL!). It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be to get it implanted, uncomfy yes, but worth it for 5 years carefree. I even got my libido back w/in a month of DS--w/ DD it took over a year. I've had it for 4 months now w/o any troubles. That's just me though talk w/ your Dr. I will say that I've heard the copper IUD can make people who have heavy/painful periods just miserable b/c they get worse. Good luck choosing!
keikiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love my baby comp. google it if you want.
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i second the mirena iud. i got mine insterted 2 years ago.