Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question on vax

I have a question about vaccinations. I know some parents opt for it and others don't. My question is this? Don't kids have to have all their vaccinations prior to entering kindergarten in the public school? Do they give wavers for vaccinations based on religious or ethnic reasons? So I'm wondering are some kids in public kindergarten vaccinated and others arent? Thanks for your help w/this.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question on vax

no you dont reallly have to be vaxed. Yes there are waivers in all 50 states. yes some kids in school are vaxed and others are not.

for more details search DS for "vax waivers" as its come up before.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Yup, what the PP said.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Babyvan
Registered Users

Check this site for laws in your state:
http://www.nvic.org/state-site/state-exemptions.htm
Medical exemptions are legal in all 50 states, religious exemptions are recognized in all state except W Virginia, and many states allow philosophical exemptions. You do not have to explain what your religious beliefs are and it is illegal for them to ask you. You do not have to belong to a church or organization that has an official stance against vaccination.
Yes, there are likely children in a kindergarten near you which are not vaccinated per the current recommendations. How you state your exemption differs depending on which state you live in. In my state, all I have to do is sign a certain line on the immunization form. Some states require you to write a letter and submit it to the state health office. You just need to see what your state requires.
Good luck!
Babyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it amazes me people still don't know this.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

That is because everywhere you go they ask you if you are and so I would assume that "everyone who does not know this" assumes it's a must. Also it seems to be one of the first things they make you do at the hospital or dr's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
Old 10-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post
That is because everywhere you go they ask you if you are and so I would assume that "everyone who does not know this" assumes it's a must. Also it seems to be one of the first things they make you do at the hospital or dr's.
Agreed! I didn't know you could refuse vax's until a couple years ago. I just thought that it was a must and no if's and's or but's about it. It's not something your doc lays out on the table as your options, although he/she ought to! So to most parents/caregivers it looks like a must and everybody does it.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
Why would EVERYONE know this? Her question is an extremely valid question. I think it's kind of a rude response followed by a :-)
Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
judahsmommy
Registered Users

i don't think pp was meaning to be rude, since someone had already answered the original question

to be honest, it also amazes me (and saddens me) that people don't know about exemptions, but it just goes to show the truth about the health care system. the doctors (i don't believe that docs are evil, for the record, just that they believe what they are taught in medical school and don't get the chance to thoroughly research the issue of vaccinations) and pharmaceutical companies (who run the health care system, like it or not) don't advertise that fact that you have a choice to vax or not, and that there are exemptions to enroll your unvaxed children in school.
judahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:17 AM   #10
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post

because docs say "you have to or your kids gonna die" and schools say" you have to or your kid cant come here" and stupid crap like that.

my grandma keeps argueing with me, saying its the law, you have to, thyre "good for him" and she had to have my dads done (i guess 42 years or so ago, hes 47.) because they wouldnt let him in school, so my son wont be able to go, etc... for one thing i plan to homeschool, and another, i know there are exemptions, but most people do not "ehhh..i dont think so, mindy, its the law, it doesnt matter if you want to, youve got to do it if its the law" , per what i said above, it really is sad and enraging, though.....

and to the pp to the forum search thinggy, and try that site.
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote