Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
dvansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Want to work from home and need advice

My husband goes back to teaching this fall and I will need to get a job. I have a 5 month old and want to stay home so bad. We just can't seem to make it financially on just his salary. I'm just not sure how easy it would be to work from home. I just can't see spending extra money on child care. Just need some advice.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by dvansmom; 07-07-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
dvansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Want to work from home and need advice

I think that working from home depends entirely on your child and the type of work you're doing. I work from home for a large corporation. DD is 6.5 months old and will be starting daycare next month. She's starting to become mobile and doesn't want to stay in one spot playing for long periods, not to mention she's found her voice which isn't pleasant while I'm trying to be on conference calls. There are positions out there that work for staying at home with your child and making money, it depends on what the work is and your level of comfort. Would working out of the home on a different shift than your H work? You could easily get a job that is in the evenings or weekends when your H is home, that could help. Or you could start a home business.

I'm sorry I'm not much help, I know it can be done, but it's hard.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Working one or two nights a week at Target (or similar) may be helpful for finances if DH has a predictable schedule. This is one option.

Depending on your "home" work - you may find you'll need childcare anyway even if you work at home because LO's do not stay put and it's hard to do two things at once (work and care for your child).

Personally, I took stock of what I love (Spanish) and what I'm good at (teaching) and started classes for children. I don't "work at home" though, so it's a bit different for me.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you love children taking on another child for unlicensed inhome care is a SAH option. You can also post yourself up as a nanny with a bring-along child. (Nannies have to come to another's home and usually involves some light housework mostly children related). And you can apply to be a teacher's aide at a preschool (just a clean criminal background ck is all they usually require).
I also WAH some of the time at my corporate job, although I can get paid easily another 15-20K more at another co. - this company offers more flexibility. I'd gladly take the pay-cut in order to spend more time with my children.
There's also lots of WAHM at DS - not certain how much they bring in or how much you need to bring in order to make ends meet. But SAHM at DS is one way. There are also plenty of other job you can do to make extra $$$ on the side. If there's a will, there's a way.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
rilmbmom
Registered Users
seller

There are many WAH options out there. Do your research and watch for scams. Many offer online options, but you would need to commit to several hours a day, IMO, to make it work. I attempted a WAH company (which I am still a part of) but couldn't commit the time while still working FT. If you are interested in the company that I work for (obviously PT), PM me and I can send you the link.
rilmbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
FaithandAndrewsMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I started with a company a couple of months ago and it has been a blessing for our family, we couldn't make it on my husbands salary anymore so it was either try to find something outside the home, but we only have one car. So I looked into several things (MaryKay, Homemade Gourmet, The Pampered Chef, Avon, Arbonne, Xango) you can do from the home. The one that I/we went with was started by a school teacher. I did do Homemade Gourmet, The Pampered Chef, and Xango at somepoint in the last 4 years, but I just couldn't make it work after the new wore off and I got tired of begging me friends to have a party for me. With the one that I am currently with I will probably meet or exceed my husbands salary by this time next year. And I don't have to beg anybody I just show them the plan and they either get it or they don't. If you are already paying for ie. cell phone, Dish, you name it why not get paid to use it. On a side note they also offer a free car program and there is a good chance that by Christmas we will be a 2 car family!!
FaithandAndrewsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Working from home is not as rosy as people seem to think. When DJ was about 8 months old, I switched jobs to be able to work from home. I cut back to part time and took a contract position that would allow me to work whenever I needed to as long as I met my project deadlines. I had such grand ideas about how it would be! What I found out was that at the end of the day, I was more stressed out than ever because I hadn't spent "quality time" with my son and I hadn't accomplished anything for work because I was constantly running to take care of him. Working while he was sleeping seemed like a good idea but if I sat up all night working, I still wasn't any good for taking care of him the next day and we were all still stressed out. After a few weeks, I gave up and went back to taking him to Grandma's (she ran a daycare and had been keeping him when I worked in an office). I could take him over there for 4 hours a day and actually get my work done and enjoy the rest of my time with him and everyone was happier. After a year at that job, money got too tight and my contract was ending so I took another WAH job but this one was full time and required regular business hours. When James was born, I only had two weeks of leave accumulated so I "went back to work" after two weeks but obviously kept him with me. When he was a few months old and staying awake more than asleep and demanding more attention, he went to Grandma's for the days too. Last spring my mom started having medical problems and was unable to keep the boys any more so I tried again keeping them with me. During the summer, I tried hiring a teen to come play with them while I worked. I fell further and further behind at work and nearly lost my job. I'm still trying to catch up. Both kids are in daycare full time now. I do still have the flexibility to keep them home if I need to once in a while and I can wash dishes while listening in on a conference call or do laundry while talking to my boss on the phone so there are advantages to WAH but daycare is not one of them.

Now, my cousin's experience was a little different. She does customer service for Airtran and works from home. She also has a husband who is very helpful around the house and with the kids. For her job, she can do her work whenever she needs to as long as she gets in 40 hours over the course of a week. Her son was always a late sleeper so she would get up at 4 a.m. and get 5 hours of work done before he woke up, then play with him for a while, then get in another couple of hours while he was down for a nap. If necessary, her husband could take care of the baby in the evenings so that she could get another hour or so of work done. That worked for her for a long time (she's exhausted, but hanging in there). Now that she has two children, she's finding that there a lot fewer hours where they're both asleep and she can work. She's having to rely on grandparents and aunts and uncles to help with the kids a LOT more so that she can work. And she's beginning to question whether it's really worth it any more.

Now both of these situations are "careers", not just jobs...these are full time jobs that pay well...the same that you'd be making in an office. If you're just looking for a little extra money on the side, there are lots of options that might work for you.

1. You could look into transcription (general, medical, legal). You would need some training and that takes time and money but once you're trained, you can make decent money and have a lot of flexibility. This is definitely not something you would be able to do while caring for your children though...you'd need to be able to concentrate. So it would have to be done when DH can take care of the kids or when they're sleeping or whatever.

2. Do you have a relationship with a past employer that you could call on and perhaps negotiate a work at home situation?

3. Do you have skills that you could freelance? For example if you worked in accounting before having a baby, it is possible that you could contact some small businesses in your area and do accounting work for them on your own terms.

4. Check out www.wahm.com. They have ads for WAH positions and forums to discuss the various options and various companies.

5. Check out www.guru.com. A friend told me about it the other day. I haven't signed up yet but it's a clearinghouse for freelance jobs in all different fields.

6. Depending on how much money you need to make, you may consider some of the survey sites or something like ChaCha.com. I've been doing ChaCha for a few weeks in my spare time (you know, after my full time job, WAHM embroidery and sewing, and being a single mom to two toddlers...yeah...free time! ) and my goal has been $50/week. So far I've made that easily just working for an hour or two after the boys go to bed each night. I know there are some people who do this as their sole income...just depends on how much money you want to make and how much time you can devote. Every time I've tried to post anything about ChaCha it's been deleted by the mods as spam so if you want to know more, PM me and I can give you a referral.

7. As others have suggested, you may consider taking in a daycare baby or looking for a job as a nanny. You could also consider looking for a position in a daycare or preschool where you wouldn't be working from home but you could keep your baby with you while you work.

8. You could consider cleaning houses or something like that. Two of my old neighbors hooked up with some contractors in the area to clean the houses after they were built but before they were sold. They got paid by the square foot and just pretty much cleaned up after the construction crew. One of my cousins right now has a deal with several local apartment complexes to clean the apartments when people move out. Sometimes her LOs stay with their grandma for a few hours while she works, other times she brings the kids along. Since the apartments are vacant, there's not *too* much for the kids to get into so they can sit and play while she cleans. I've also known moms that just wore their tiny babies while cleaning houses. It's not for me but there is money to be made.

Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote