Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
xAmberosiaSaladx
Registered Users

What's the deal with Lactose Free Formula?

So, everytime I got into the doctor with my daughters, i'm always asked what formula they are on. I tell them Lactose Free Enfamil, and I always get the same response from the doctor "Well, they don't need to be on it, so you should switch them to Enfamil AR if they are spitting up because there has been no documented case of Lactose Intolerance in infants in the US"

uhm, this doesnt make sense to me. I tried regular Enfamil with my daughter when she was born, and for two weeks she spit up almost constantly, was constantly crying like she was hurting, etc.

I switched her to lactose free and it stopped almost immediately. The same thing happened with my 3 mo. old.

So, is the lactose free not as good as the regular ol' Enfamil or what?? I've been trying to research a little bit but all I can find is stuff on Soy formula, and this formula is not soy base formula....

Advertisement

xAmberosiaSaladx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the deal with Lactose Free Formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAmberosiaSaladx View Post
there has been no documented case of Lactose Intolerance in infants in the US"
Peds are so dumb some times...that is so not true. My dd is allergic to all milk products and soy. She see's a GI who sees babies ALL day who are lactose intolerant or flat out allergic. Alot of times the only symptoms of an allergy or intolerance are GI issues in babies. I would find another ped or just keep her on the formula you know is working for her!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
~sarah~
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Sean couldn't tolerate regular Enfamil, Similac, or soy. The only thing that his tummy can handle is Similac Sensitive (milk based, lactose free) so that's what he gets. He's perfectly healthy!
~sarah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Lactose intolerance and dairy intolerance are two different things. Lactose intolerance is EXTREMELY rare in babies, dairy intolerance not so. It could be that her tummy just liked that formula better.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
CorynnandReisMom
Registered Users

Hi:

My ds drinks Similac Sensitive which is lactose free. If he has lactose he is spitty, and fussy. My pediatrician says, although rare, it is possible for a baby to be sensitive to lactose. My husband was as an infant and so was my dd (1,22,05). Sometimes I think its all up to however the doc interprets it.

The lactose free formula is just as good as he regular so stick with what your sons tummy likes. Why rock the boat kwim?
CorynnandReisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
purity4grace
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I have to supplement with Enfimil Prosobee Lipil due to Post Partum Hyperthyroidism..and my antibodies were crossing into my breast milk causing our LO to lose weight or no gain. So I breastfeed and I also give her a little formula so she can gain weight until my thyroid gets under control with medication. So! I dont do the lactose but I do the soy! And if you compare both cans at Walmart or wherever you buy your formula....you will see that the Soy based has more minerals and just as much calcium and all that good stuff your baby needs when comparing it to just Enfimil with Iron. As far as my opinion goes...I wouldnt give my child just milk even growing up. There are hormones in cows and those hormones cross over to the milk that everyone drinks! I'm not all super crunchy or anything...but I strongly believe that if milk gets hot outside the stomach think about what it does when its sitting in your belly?? It curdles! Soy is more easier for our bodies to absorb. Trust me! You still get the formula poos! lol! But no fussy baby in return. The prosobee is nor cheaper or more expensive than the others...just an FYI. Good luck mama!
purity4grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
bunkie
Registered Users

My daughter was lactose intolerant. Her father was too. She couldn't handle anything but the Lacto Free Lipil. Its just as good as anything else, they just remove the lactose. She was intolerant until she was 2. Then she slowly grew out of it and now at 3 she can have all lactose products.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds has been on Lacto-Free for almost his whole 10 months. whenever we try to switch him back to regular formula he instantly starts projectile vomiting and has very loose poos.... So I'd say your ped is full of it. Our ped says it's probably more of a sensitivity and he can grow out of it, but he could be intolerant. Best of luck to you and just remember to do what YOU think is right. Mama's instincts are amazing and you know your baby best not so MD who sees your baby once every 3 months.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
kisskiss632
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds has been on lacto free forever, and every time i try to switch it up and see how he does on regular stuff he gets clay poo... his poop totally changes if i take him off of lactose free formula??? is that bad???