Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
6mo peeing blood?

OK, so I just changed DS's diaper and there were 2 small areas on the diaper that looked pinkish... sort of salmon colored maybe... so then I pulled his fresh diaper back off to have a look and no redness, swelling, irritation etc... so I put the diaper back on and headed off with the dipe to put it with the other dirty dipes... pulled the insert out ( it was a pocket dipe) and noticed the pinkish/slamon coloredness on the insert as well...

he is not circ'd, he is not on solids, he is exclusively breastfed, he has not been sick, fussy, crabby etc... his output isnt as much as usual but it is hot here and he gets sweaty so I am used to that in the summer with my kids... I am going to go check out his other diapers but I doubt I will find anything because I am usually inspecting dipes as I take them off...

anyone ever dealt with anything like this? I am hoping it is just a one time thing!

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
mikoto127
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 6mo peeing blood?

He could have a UTI. One of the LO's in our daycare did that (pee'd a hint of blood) and his was a UTI.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

It's pee crystals, he's dehydrated. (we've had this issue before, ourselves)
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there is a very very faint hint of blood on his last 2 diapers... I had yo look really closely...

so do I just try to get him in a cooler area and push nursing??? ( no sweat and lots of fluids)
Old 07-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoto127 View Post
He could have a UTI. One of the LO's in our daycare did that (pee'd a hint of blood) and his was a UTI.
so if it is a UTI rather than just being dehydrated then keeping him from sweating and pushing fluids would not stop the peeing blood... what I am trying to get at is I am trying to avoid taking him to the Dr, having him poked and prodded and put on meds if there is a simple solution... I am ready to call the Dr but wonder how long I can do no sweat, lots of fluids before seeing improvement... I dont want him to be in pain eventually if it *is* a UTI kwim?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nak
id probably take him in, better safe than sorry if its a uti you dont want pain, but if hes dehydraited he might need iv fluids.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well if you want to try for the evening before taking him in, I'd push lots of fluids, and if he'll drink it, some diluted cranberry juice (as much as he can, it's really good for UTIs). Tylenol for any inflammation/pain, and keep him cool and hydrated. If it's not better this evening (or maybe in the morning) I'd take him in. Personally I'd wait til morning, call your pedi and get an immediate appt. to avoid waiting at the ER all night :cents:
I had a UTI like this recently, all they did was give me antibiotics, and really there aren't many other options. All the symptoms were the same, and they weren't overly concerned (DD had one too, actually), so it's not an emergency. If he is "okay" and not writing in pain, I'd hold off til morning.
Hope he feels better soon!!
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
OnlyWomanInTheHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
seller

My Mood:

They'll put a bag on him to collect a urine sample, it wont hurt. Sounds like uric acid crystals. My DS1 had them bad, I have only seen a few after lengthy times between nursings with DS2.

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
SmileyMoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a really weird question. Did you have any desitin or balmex on him? I have noticed that turns my BGs (and insert) a salmon color. I thought it was blood at first too until I figured it out. I ended up putting some on one to test, threw it into the wash alone (unused) and the result was a salmon colored weirdness that I had to sun out.

Last edited by SmileyMoo; 07-07-2008 at 05:47 PM.
SmileyMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I am thinking UTI but I would take him to the doc just to make sure. As another person said, better safe than sorry.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote