Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
just need some support

long story short i'm having a baby in the beginning of August and have to go back as soon as humanly possible..

right now that is just so hard to think about much less do..

i worked full time or close to it up to a week with my first and 2 days before my second were born. I really didn't want to do this again.. but it looks like I have to. I love bfing but honestly I HATE HATE pumping.. and in my work environment it's very hard to find the time much less find people who are supportive/helpful when I do have to.

Advertisement

Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
mrscakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: just need some support

I just wanted to offer some words of encouragement... I only have one (so far!), but I worked up until about a week before he was born (would've gone longer but Z was born right after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend) and had to go back before I wanted to. I've been pumping for 6 months now, and although I really hate it too, I just keep reminding myself how it's the best thing for him. I'm sorry that you don't have a supportive environment to pump. Just keep telling yourself that any amount you can pump is good for your LO and however long you breastfeed, you're doing something wonderful for them. Being a working mom is tough, and just remember to tell yourself how awesome you are every now and then
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IKWUM - With DS I worked until I went into labor. My last action was to IM a co-worker (at 7 PM on a Sat.) with "Ouch". DS was 2 weeks early and I worked thru contractions (emailing co-workers with "Do you think I am in labor?") to get a file out cuz I knew no one else could complete it but me - it being yr-end and my back-fill only had 1 wk crash course. I NEVER want to do that again. So with DD I took the month prior off.
Is it a Fed law that u can go on disability 4 wk before due date? Or is that just a CA State law?
I HATE pumping too. Its hard work and I don't get all that much milk. I keep a pic of DD with my pump so that I can see her smile and I know why I do it. Its for her - I'd do anything for my children. Every drop is liquid gold. Today I pumped for 30min and only got 3 oz but that's 3 oz she otherwise wouldn't have. I'll keep it up as long as I can. If I can do it, you can do it too.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommimi View Post
IKWUM - With DS I worked until I went into labor. My last action was to IM a co-worker (at 7 PM on a Sat.) with "Ouch". DS was 2 weeks early and I worked thru contractions (emailing co-workers with "Do you think I am in labor?") to get a file out cuz I knew no one else could complete it but me - it being yr-end and my back-fill only had 1 wk crash course. I NEVER want to do that again. So with DD I took the month prior off.
Is it a Fed law that u can go on disability 4 wk before due date? Or is that just a CA State law?
I HATE pumping too. Its hard work and I don't get all that much milk. I keep a pic of DD with my pump so that I can see her smile and I know why I do it. Its for her - I'd do anything for my children. Every drop is liquid gold. Today I pumped for 30min and only got 3 oz but that's 3 oz she otherwise wouldn't have. I'll keep it up as long as I can. If I can do it, you can do it too.
You are a better woman than I.. I do get a lot pumping.. and I pump while on maternity leave so i'm not so worried about supply. I could go out on leave now if I wanted to.. problem is I'm not benefited.. so no paid vacation or mat leave. That's why it's so short. I think once I go back i'm going to have to carry the benefits for a year or so.

thank you both for your encouragment!!it is difficult being a working mother! I admire all of us
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to with both of mine, too. I worked until the day before I had dd1 and went back at 8 weeks, with just $$ saved up, no benefits. Then I was on bedrest (THANK YOU, short-term disability or I don't know how we would have eaten) and used up half of my leave with dd2, so went back at 6 weeks. I have the insurance so I would have to have something good lined up to leave. I've been pumping the whole time for dd2; she's nine months now. It's hard but it's also extra break time, woohoo! (Gotta be positive about it 'cause it's really annoying sometimes, lol. But it's all for dd! Formula messed up her big sis something awful, so I have even more motivation to keep pumping.)
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

((HUGS))
Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Nikki_Nikk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eek! Sorry about your situation, but as far as the milk things goes- if providing breast milk ( I just can't call it BM ) is something you really want to do for your child, I would MAKE your environment more suitable for it.

I don't know where you are or what you do, but it sounds like they need some education.
I would either put something together for your employer, or suggest bringing someone in to talk about mothers rights/needs etc in the workplace. You shouldn't have to feel like a bad employee for being a mother.
Don't make me go over there!