Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
tink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Second adoption - Ethiopia or domestic?

Our DD was adopted domestically as a newborn. My heart is gearing up to get on the rollercoaster again. For those of you with Ethiopia adoptions under your belt, can you tell me about your experiences. The good, bad and the ugly. If you feel most comfortable PM'ing me, please feel free to do so. I would also love to hear from you who have done both an international and domestic adoption. TIA!!

Advertisement

tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Second adoption - Ethiopia or domestic?

My sister and her husband are there NOW getting their son!! She's on here (YnotBhappy). I know she would LOVE to share once they get back. It has been a pretty easy process as far as paperwork and all. It's gone smoothly for them.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

I have never adopted I just think the idea of adoption is beautiful so I read in here some times. I like domestic adoption more cause there are so many babys in America that need to be loved and taken in I realize that they are treated better here but we already have a pretty big population and thinking about part of that population not having a family to love them is just sad. Either way tho its a beautiful wonderful thing to do and if I could afford it Id do it in a minute.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I like domestic adoption more cause there are so many babys in America that need to be loved and taken in
Actually, for healthy infants, especially non-minority but also for all but full AA, the ratio of potential families who want to adopt is nearly DOUBLE infants available for adoption in domestic programs. The only infants in this nation waiting for families have special needs and/or are minorities.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
mariewes
Registered Users
seller

We just finished an adoption from Ethiopia in April. The people and culture are so beautiful and the need is SO great. If you have never seen an African country, when you go to pick up your child it will change your life. It took us about 9 months total and that is with losing our first referral. Everyone there was so thankful that we were adopting and when we were out in public people would just stop us and say thank you, God bless you. It has been a great experience and we are looking forward to doing it again in the future. If you want info on the agency we used, just PM me. We adopted a toddler, but I know there are infants available also.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
Actually, for healthy infants, especially non-minority but also for all but full AA, the ratio of potential families who want to adopt is nearly DOUBLE infants available for adoption in domestic programs. The only infants in this nation waiting for families have special needs and/or are minorities.
I wasnt aware of that thank you, I know its hard to get in infant here but arent there tons of children in the U.S. that need homes? and I know this is a stupid question but does domestic adoption mean a white baby? I thought it meant American?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

We're talking about adopting vs. TTC #3 and I just met a woman who is adopting triplets from Ethiopia! If you PM me your email I'll pass it on to her, she's super nice and I'm sure she'd love to help you out.

RJmomof2....domestic adoptions can be for any baby, but the demand is super high for caucasian babies. Yes, there are lots of kids in need of homes, but they're mostly in the foster system and that's a whole other world.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Yes, there are lots of kids in need of homes, but they're mostly in the foster system and that's a whole other world.
Yup, that. Or, they have lots of special needs, especially medical needs.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
beansmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

there are 5MILLION yes I said million orphans in Ethiopia, so the need there is great.

We've adopted twice from Ethiopia. The culture is amazing to have nothing and yet they are so willing to give you what they might have. We'd be walking around and people would stop to talk with us or offer a hand carrying something and were so genuine. Like another poster said if you go it will change your life and they way you might look at some things. Ethiopia also believes the saying "it takes a village." and there is a stronge sense that the adults are trying very hard to care for their young. The orphange we went thru the children recieve amazing care and we've stayed in touch with the nannies over there. We also had opportunity to meet birth relatives. Oh I could go on and on..... we talk about some day moving to Ethiopia =)

Feel free to PM if you want to. Oh also our DD was 3.5months old when she came home and our son DS4.5months.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I work in foster care/adoptions and the need here is so great but so much more for toddlers and older kids (any child that is a minority or is over the age of 3 in our agency is considered special needs)! The adoptions worker at our private agency was telling me that there are about 20 home studies considered for each available infant that did not have serious health issues. So we thought that this was totally out for us but then when I contacted the county worker that our agency is contracted to work with (our agency only works with the most difficult to place children that the county has basically given up on- those who have been in a number of different foster placements already etc), she told me that with the economy being so bad they have had some recently surrendered infants that were completely healthy but were unable to be cared for by their parents due to finances - crazy, huh? She basically said not to let the statistics of waiting families vs available infants scare me away as for our county this is not necessarily the case anymore. Anyway, she told me that if we are patient, we will definitely get an infant (!). However, the chance is greater that the infant will be a low risk reunification rather than a surrendered, totally free to be adopted infant. Anyway, the need is still there, at least in our county and despite the fact that I said for a long time that I would never want to go through the county (I worked as a sw for them for two years and saw/know way too much ), we will (Lord willing) start the process at the end of this month to go through the foster-adopt program and see what happens. I think either way you go (domestic or abroad)- you are doing an amazing thing and getting the opportunity to love on and raise a new little one and welcome them in to your family.