Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
beckymomof2
Formerly BeckyE***
seller

My Mood:
toddler talking

My daughter is about 17 months old and says a lot. What I am wondering about is she has not connected two words together yet. For example she will say: puppie, kitty, mommie, daddy, bye bye, hi, cookie, please, etc. But she won't say "hi daddy" or "cookie please." I thought by this age she would be saying two words together. What do you think?

Advertisement

beckymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: toddler talking

My son is 19 months and he doesn't really do it either. Although once I think before he turned 18 months he said "Go upstairs" - but that's all I can think of for now. I think they look for that by the time they turn 2 - or at least that's when it could be important by, KWIM? They didn't seem concerned the last time he was at the Dr. so don't be too worried. I personally think they can only do one thing at a time: either learn new words or learn a way to put them together, KWIM? Give her some time to learn some more words and some might start coming together for her.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think it depends on the kid my dd is 19 months and has been talking forever it seems like ......but like i said depends on the kid a lil girl i babysit is 6 months older than cadence and cadence talks sooo much more and better than her
Old 05-19-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son is that old, and he just babbles. He says some words, but not many. I think it is normal to not be talking with connected words yet. I hope!

Beth
bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My oldest was exactly like that...I was worried about him because he wasn't even attempting "sentences"..which, what i consider sentences would be like you said, "cookie please" or "hi daddy" or whatever.....it happened like overnight...now at 27mo, everyone thinks he's a lot older than he is because of his size and his language skills.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

dd's almost 20 months and she talks A LOT! but if she's ever connected two words together really i can't remember, so it's obviously not something she's really got down yet.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DJ was like that. He would say "More" or "French Fries" or "Please" but for the life of me I couldn't get him to say "More french fries, please" or even "More please." Even coaxing him and bribing him, he just would not put two words together. It was always one or the other. He's 22 months now and all of a sudden in the past week, he's started rattling off sentences right and left. Long sentences even. He had a tick on his neck the other night and while dh was getting it off, I told him Daddy was fixing his boo boo. The next morning, we were at my mom's house and I told him to come let Grandma look at his boo boo and he just grabbed it and said "'Sok Grandma...Daddy fix my boo boo home." We were both just blown away! I agree with the pp who said that they tend to focus on one thing at a time...either learning new words or new grammatical skills. I've also noticed that at least with the kids in my life, they may observe and think about something for quite a while and then overnight just start doing it. From what you've said...I wouldn't worry at all! Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

DS just turned 20 months, and all of a sudden he's now stringing two words together....and in the past several days, THREE words together! It's like it came out of nowhere! He went from "eat eggs," "my toys," "want ba-ba" etc. to "oh dat's Bob," "gonna go bye-bye," and "play your guitar!"

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's perfectly normal at this age. Heck, it'd be perfectly normal even if she didn't say SINGLE words! All too soon, you won't be able to shut her up!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

connecting 2 or more words is more so going to happen closer to two for most kids so I have read...But my son was an early early everything he spoke his first words at 5 months and connected 3 words by 6 months (I yuh you was his first "words" after he said mama) he jumped right into 2+ words after saying mama but this is not normal or average..we are now finding out that he may have aspergers he does already have sensory integration dysfunction and apparently Aspergers kids usually talk super early...and oddly enough they are the ones who end up with speech issues when it comes to conversations and having a real meaningful one...they often don't stay on topic or make sense...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Carrie
Registered Users

My twins are almost 18 months...Ethan said "go car" once but it was clear that required a lot of effort for him lol. He also says "Ah la ya" (I love you) sometimes but not often. They say 20+ words but none of them are particularly distinct or intelligible except to us.