View Poll Results: Do you or will you keep your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear-facing in the car?
We turned/will turn our baby forward before 1 10 9.62%
We turned/will turn our baby on their 1st Birthday! 21 20.19%
We turned/will turn our baby after 1 yr, but before the max rear-facing weight limit 27 25.96%
We will keep our child rear-facing until they reach the rear-facing weight limit! 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #91
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

Zane is 25 months and close to 29-30lbs. He'll be rear facing until he's over 33 lbs.

I'll have to come back and read this thread sometime- gotta go change poopies.

Advertisement

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #92
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Madalex- I just saw you are in Michigan also. We are having two car seat checks this weekend if you are near Trenton (saturday) or Taylor (sunday). Bpth are being held at different branches of Oakwood Hospital. I will be checking seats at the Taylor one. Let me know if you are intersted. It would be cool to meet another DS mama...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #93
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to add on, for people who have maybe never been in an accident....the post about how strong the forces are in an accident really struck a chord with me. They really are SO STRONG.
I had never been in an accident that i remember. I was recently in a VERY mild accident and i was SHOCKED at how brutal it was.
anyway, long story short, through no actual fault of our own, we rear-ended a car going MAYBE 10 mph.....in all actuality, it was likely closer to 5, but at most it was 10, we had just been stopped at a light, it turned green, we all started going.....when the idiot 3 cars in front of us suddenly slammed on his brakes and stopped so he could make an ILLEGAL left turn into a corner gas station on the opposite corner. The car behind him stopped just in time...the car in front of us skidded to a stop and also partially had to swerve to the side of the road...our car was just too heavy..the brakes locked, but we ended up skidding into the car in front of us.....SKIDDING at less than 10 mph.

And it was HORRIFIC. The force with which we slammed into the car...it was unimaginable.....just SO MUCH FORCE....i can't even begin to imagine what a 40mph or more crash is like....i simply can't.
Luckily, no one was hurt. (well, except me, my knee slammed into the glove compartment.) but we had 4 kids in the car, including dd, who was FF at 10.5 months, due to the previously mentioned GIANT issues and 3 kids, ages 8 9 and 12, in regular seat belts, and dh and I in seat belts.

Again, i am not a "carseat zealot" as i generally call them (yes, in a fairly derogatory tone, I admit.) I am not someone whose "soapbox issue" is carseats...if anything, i am fairly lax about caseats in comparison to other issues in life.....But i will tell you guys......you can not believe the forces in a crash. It was a real eye opener.
Next kid, i will definitely shell out for one of the bigger, better seats with higher RF limits, weight and height, in case baby #2 is also a giant.

When you know better, you do better.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #94
Dsunny1
Registered Users

We car seat zealots (LOL I am proud to be one!!) tell people to multiply their weight (or their child's weight) by how fast the car is traveling and that is approximately how much force it takes to restrain you. So a 20lb baby that is in an accident where the car is going 30 mph= 600lbs of force. We usually talk about this scenario when people insist they would be able to hold their baby if there was an accident. It really isn't possible to do so. I am glad you were all ok, was there much damage to the car? Was everyone sore the next day?
The cosco seats do rearface to 35lbs and the cosco scenara 5-point is only $40 at walmart. If you were interested in keeping your baby rearfacing a little longer, that seat would do it for you for fairly cheap.
Is there any visable stress marks on the car seat where the seat belt was? I ask because NTHSA has recommendations on when to replace a car seat after a crash..
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child restraint after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
* The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
* There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
* The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
* There is no visible damage to the child restraint.
Most insurance companies will reimburse you for a new seat if yours was in a crash. If they say no, ask them to send you a letter stating your seat is safe to use. Usually that gets them to say yes because they don't want to be liable like that.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #95
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, i figured the guidelines for re-use of a carseat would come up, and yes, we did meet the criteria for continuing to use our seat.
The only reason i was injured was because the glove compartment door did not lock cloed, so it was open, and therefore my knees were actually touching it when we crashed(it was a new car, we were on the way to the store to get the bolt needed to fix that issue, as well as some paint and other itesm to spiff up the car, LOL!)....had that not been the case, there would have been no injuries. Even the little kids, 8 and 9, who had regular seat belts on, did not have even slight bruising or soreness, so it really was a very mild crash.
At this point, her weight is up around 33, and her height (with a bulky cloth dipey, on, LOL,) exceeds all the RF seats i have tried her in (at babies r us they have this whole line you can try out,) so at this point, she is just FF, i guess.. .....
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #96
pfratz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm pretty sure both my boys were turned around right at 1, but I plan on keeping Simon rear facing longer. Always learning something new.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #97
aschrimp
Registered Users

My ds is 27 lbs at 8 months. I think we may have to get a Britax to be able to keep him rear facing long enough. Right now we have the Evenflo truimph, which I believe goes RF up to 30 or 33 lbs. It's rated as high in safety as the Britax by consumer reports, but runs about $100 cheaper, but I didn't realize we would have a mamoth baby when we bought it - LOL. He will stay RF for as long as we can safely keep him that way, but the reality of our situation, with his size, is that no matter what seat we buy, our sweet sweet (very big) little boy will probably loose the protection of RF before he is 2 yrs.

Quick note to the people whose kids legs are all squished - if you recline the seat a bit more it will make more room for the legs. RF seats are supposed to be at a 45 degree angle, which is VERY reclined. And that is 45 degrees with respect to the ground, not your back seat. It is actually this 45 degree recline that provides the protection during a crash.

If your seat is slanted (to give more leg room for passengers), you will probably need to use a rolled up towel or pool noodle to get the car seat securely reclined to the corect angle, and it will give your child a TON more leg room (as well as being correctly and safely installed to provide max protection during a crash).

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #98
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cosco seats are rated to 35 lbs. The Scenara is only around $50 at Walmart. It doesn't have some of the nice features of a Britax or even the Triumph, but it would allow for your ds to stay rf a bit longer. Note- it's when they are OVER the weight limit that it's outgrown- not at the weight limit.

Newborns need a 45 degree angle to keep their air way open. As a baby gets older a 45 degree angle is not needed. More upright is actually safer since it shouldn't rotate as far towards the floor in a crash. It is facing of the rear that protects a child, not the angle of the car seat. Unless, of course, it's a newborn that needs help keeping the airway open- then the angle does indeed matter.

Tightly rolled towels or newspapers, or a pool noodle(s) cut to fit can help with achieving proper recline. They should ONLY be used if needed and on rear facing seats. See manufacturer's instructions for how to do. Make sure they do not interfere with proper installation or use of the seat.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #99
meco
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisubaby
10 lbs? I know THAT was an error!!!
Yes, glaring typo!

I edited 20 lbs
meco is offline   Reply With Quote