View Poll Results: Do you or will you keep your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear-facing in the car?
We turned/will turn our baby forward before 1 10 9.62%
We turned/will turn our baby on their 1st Birthday! 21 20.19%
We turned/will turn our baby after 1 yr, but before the max rear-facing weight limit 27 25.96%
We will keep our child rear-facing until they reach the rear-facing weight limit! 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

Isabel will be rear-facing until she outgrows the height or weight limit for her seat. There's just too much data out there saying it's safer - even if the legs are touching the back seat - so as much as I know she'd *like* to face forward, she'll be getting very well acquainted with the looks of the seat back

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #12
Tangy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I didn't know this was an option. I thought it was just common to face them forward at one. I think I will be turning his seat around today. He hates to face the rear, but it's MUCH safer.
Tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #13
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

ok what youdo when you have a car seat that goes from 5 to 80 lbs???
david is front?? can someone enlghten me please. he is in the middle of the seat though . he 27lbs , 36in long
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
Dsunny1
Registered Users

All car seats that go from 5-80, usually rearface to a weight of 30-35lbs, Which seat do you have? My son Jaden is 26months, 27lbs, 33 3/4 inches and rearfacing in the second slot of his Britax Marathon. Britax seats go to 33lbs rearfacing, Cosco convertibles generally go to 35lbs, and Evenflo convertibles go to 30. I can't remember the limit on Graco. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Delux that just came out is a knockoff of the Marathon. Britax is producing it under the fisher price name. It rearfaces to 33lbs and forward faces to 55lbs (not 65). It has the same shell as the marathon, but does not tether rearfacing or have seat belt lock-offs.
Ontariomama, not sure about the rules in ontario... however I believe that when Britax raised the rearfacing weight on the rounabout (after yours was made) they stated the 33lb weight limit could be retroactive to all the roundabouts. So, you might be able to use it rf still if you wanted, just call Britax to double check... and again the laws in canada might be different.
The rule is that the child is too tall when their head is within one inch of the top of the seat as ontariomama said.
Check out this site regarding extended rearfacing: it tells you their are NO reports of any child's legs ever being harmed from rearfacing, but the number of children that have been paralized or died are too many to count. A child under 2 yo is four times more likely to die in a crash if they are forward facing.
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #15
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We turned emma when she was about 18 months or so. Stil away from the wt limit. I think she waas like 19 lbs. But I juse couldnt handle the car rides with her crying becaseu all she could see was the back of the seat. I did however take her out of hte infant seat when she was about 5 months since her feet hung over the edge.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
pfamilygal6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've never had to buy a convertible seat as all my kids were under 20 at a yr and still in their infant seats. Usually they hit 20 lb between 15 and 17 months and then we buy them a forward facing seat. But we have fat baby this time, so maybe we'll have to go convertible. He may outgrow the infant seat.

I'm not sure how we would get our 21 m/o rear facing, logistically. We have a minivan. In order to get them in we have the 3 y/o and 21 m/o in the back, ff. And the baby rf behind mom in the middle. The only way for me to get to the back to put the girls in is to have our 5.5 y/o in behind dad in the middle in a booster seat. I can take the booster out and lay the seat down to get in the back. But I think it would be hard to get her in rf. Like I'd have to climb in the trunk to buckle her. Oy! She didn't hit 20 lb til 18 mo, so she's been ff for a month now.
pfamilygal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #17
Austinsmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a Britax decatholon and will keep Austin rear facing until he outgrows it which prolly won't be anytime soon as hes only 22 pounds and 32 inches tall at 25 months
Austinsmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't even know that babies were supposed to be rear facing until 33 lbs. My 3 year old is just now 35lbs....I was really dumb with her though, I turned her forward facing at 8 months...Dh said it didn't matter. We were in a car accident at 11 months and she was fine...THANK JESUS!

With my Chloe, we turned her forward right around her 1st birthday. I thought they were supposed to turn then??? I've really never heard otherwise. I think my DH would think I've really lost it if I turned her back facing again.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #19
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 33 months and 36 lbs, he is ff. DD is 8 months, 17 lbs and rf. She will stay that way until she hits the 30ish lbs mark of her carseat (Britax Roundabout).
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #20
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsunny1
The rule is that the child is too tall when their head is within one inch of the top of the seat as ontariomama said.
Opps! I called Britax, graco & evenflo thinking maybe I had gotten bad info in the carseat safety classes I took...

but britax says "yes, keep them rear facing until the weight limit or the top op their ears are over the top of the back of the seat!"

graco didn't know, they said if their knees are bent, (which is a myth)

& evenflo said, the info for one inch below the top of the seat is for carriers only... for convertables, the rear-facing rule is weight, height & the tops of their ears can not be over the top of the back of the seat!

Just wanted to make sure the info I am sharing was correct & clarify!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote