View Poll Results: Do you or will you keep your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear-facing in the car?
We turned/will turn our baby forward before 1 10 9.62%
We turned/will turn our baby on their 1st Birthday! 21 20.19%
We turned/will turn our baby after 1 yr, but before the max rear-facing weight limit 27 25.96%
We will keep our child rear-facing until they reach the rear-facing weight limit! 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #31
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

Thanks for this thread. I just turned my 18 mo back to rf. I turned my ds ff at 1 year because that was what the car seat instructions said (1 year and 20 lbs.)

I pm'ed RaceNzanesmom yesterday asking carseat questions because she's a CPS Tech, and she said its safest to keep them rear facing as long as possible, until 2 or 3, and that my 1 1/2 yo should definately be rf. Ff takes most of the force of an accident in the body, and rf mostly in the carseat.

Check out http://www.cpsafety.com

When my ds was 10 months and rf, someone hit us while we were stopped at a red light. The chiropractor said ds was fine and wasn't hurt, although us ff adults had whiplash for a few months!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #32
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Racenzanesmom is great. She doesn't get on as much anymore. She has been certified longer then I have and even I ask her questions sometimes. It is awesome that so many of you are open to rearfacing your babies/toddlers again. That make us Tech's feel so good when we can convince someone to do that. I am not taking credit for all the ladies on here that are, it is really cool the word is getting out and I was so surprised when I saw this thread today and there were so many already extended rearfacing CD babies.
We are always open to questions whenever you have them.
Great thread mommy2zander, if nothing else you helped get the word out more and sounds like there are a few mama's here that listened!!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #33
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

My dd had always been a slight bit on the small side. We kept her rear-facing after her first birthday because she was only about 19 pounds. While all of my friends were turning their kids around well before then, I decided not to. Good thing because a week before her first birthday, I got into a car accident. An elderly man ran the red light and plowed into my car, ON HER SIDE She couldn't be in the middle because my 8 year old cousin was in the back seat as well and her car seat wouldn't fit well with him in my Explorer (the back bench's middle seat is kinda small). She was fine. I think it all had to do with keeping her in her infant seat and keeping her rear facing.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #34
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Rearfacing seats do reduce injuries in side crashes. Sorry you had to go through that, I would have been so scared. I am glad she was ok. Did the insurance company complain about replacing your car seat? Sometimes they can be a real pain about that. I am always curious to see which ones are good about it and which ones are crappy...Which kind of seat was she in? I am very curious about crashes and different seats...
Old 05-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #35
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS had hit both height and weight limit before age 1. We'll see what happens with DD. My pedi told me it's mainly the height thing, because if they're legs are crunched up, in an accident that could cause some damage and to turn them around when they hit that height limit.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #36
mommy22peanuts
Registered Users
seller

We kept my DD rear facing until she was 2 1/2yrs old and about 28lbs. The longer rear-facing the better!

MamaZ...you may want to verify with a CPS tech, but the legs touching the seat is not really dangerous. Broken legs are more easily repaired than neck and spine injuries from a baby being front facing too early. Your pediatrician may be referring to weight and height limit for the infant seat. Many people keep their babies in their infants seats A LOT longer than they're supposed to. I think the height limit for the Graco seats 2005 and newer is 29", the older seats height limit was 26".

I think other PP have already posted this link...but I'll post it again as I think it really clarifies some myths and is VERY enlightening as to the importance of keeping babies rear-facing!

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

Last edited by mommy22peanuts; 05-10-2006 at 11:38 PM.
mommy22peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #37
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsunny1
Rearfacing seats do reduce injuries in side crashes. Sorry you had to go through that, I would have been so scared. I am glad she was ok. Did the insurance company complain about replacing your car seat? Sometimes they can be a real pain about that. I am always curious to see which ones are good about it and which ones are crappy...Which kind of seat was she in? I am very curious about crashes and different seats...

I got a lawyer the next morning because of the type of accident. Long story, but basically, after I was hit from the side, it caused me to drive over the median and I got hit by oncoming traffic. Then, the truck that hit me going on the other side of the road was rearended by a stupid girl not paying attention (Here I am, just got t-boned with 2 small kids in the car and my back was all messed up and I was asking her if she was okay and she just gave me a dirty look, ARGGH*&@%). Anyways, there was no doubt about it, I was 0% in the fault. Besides, children in California have to be 1 year AND 20 lbs before they face forward. She was 1 week short of a year and only weighed 19 lbs, so she didn't meet any of the criteria.

It was an Eddie Bauer infant car seat.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #38
meco
Registered Users

Definitely rear facing until the limits. My son is just now at the limits, and anyitme we get into a car until my son is 8 he will be in some kind of seat, no matter the law. I am a safety girl. He is 3, and he can sit find RF, legs folded. But he is just at the Britax limit. RFing is much safer.

We do not have a car and take public transportation.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #39
meco
Registered Users

I wanted to post some information on why rear facing is a safer choice, and why everyone should consider RFing their child to the car seat limits. I think if you turned your child early in the past, then no worries, it has happened. However, I think it is something worth researching more if you currently have a young child FF or a infant or are pregnant (and so on). I think car seat education is very important since many people are using them incorrectly (up to 82% according to the NHTSA). Car accidents have become the number one cause of death amongst kids. Additionally, the 1 year & 20 lb baseline is becoming obsolete as the recommendations change to RF as long as possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imommy
They told my DH that my son could be turned around as long as he is 1 year and 20 pounds, no lectures no if ands or buts, just said it's okay to do it then.

So for all you mamas that have your kids turned around at 1 year and they aren't at the weight limit or height limit, no worries. If you aren't that concerned about it, don't feel the pressure to turn them back around. I would think that if it was a huge concern that my husband's fellow firefighters wouldn't have told him it's okay to do it. KWIM?
When we had a policeman/tech install our seat (when we had a car), he told me the opposite of what they told your DH. I was told it was a better choice to take advantage of the 33 lb rear facing limit and to leave my child RF as long as possible. That difference to me shows how important it is to research this for yourself, educate yourself and carefully weigh all options when it comes to car seat safety.

There are some pretty powerful videos that show what happens to a FF and RR carseat in an accident. They speak for themselves:
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx (scroll down a bit)

Quote:
The laws of physics say that in a crash you always go to the point of the impact. Therefore, in a frontal crash everyone moves toward the front of the car. If you are forward-facing – either in a car seat or a safety belt – your upper body stops quickly as the chest strap on the car seat or seat belt holds you back. However, the head does not stop as quickly, but rather travels all the way forward until the chin touches the chest and then goes all the way back – in the whiplash motion...

In 2002 (link to AAPselecting) the Academy updated their recommendations, adding that the child should stay rear-facing longer than just 1 and 20 – they should ride rear-facing until they are too big for rear-facing.
http://www.thecarseatlady.com/rearfacing.html

Quote:
The universally accepted response is to keep your child rear facing to AT LEAST one year of age AND 20 pounds in weight. In fact, it is preferable to keep your child rear-facing as long as possible, and that may mean up to 30 or 35 pounds for most convertible car seats. The American Academy of Pediatrics and other Child Passenger Safety organizations endorse this philosophy.
(and we all know the APA is conservative in their endorsements. The NHTSA also recommends the same thing 20 lbs and 1 year as the absolute minimum, preferably longer.)
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/car...ear_facing.htm
Quote:
While most parents are aware that they must keep their children rear-facing "until they are AT LEAST 1 year old AND 20 lbs", very few are told that there are significant safety benefits when a child remains rear-facing as long as the seat allows. For most children, rear-facing can and should continue well into the second year of life.
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

Quote:
Firefighters are hoping to change the way parents think, one installation at a time. The data is on their side. This 2005 study by safety-conscious Volvo in Sweden found rear-facing restraints resulted in 15-20 percent fewer injuries during an accident than forward facing restraints. In that country children are kept rear-facing until, three, even four-years-old.
(the study can be found in PDF form here: http://www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp?S=4179086 )

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/b...,,9r5v,00.html
http://www.carseatdata.org/faq.html
http://www.car-safety.org/links2.html
http://www.carseatsite.com/rear-face_article.htm

And here are various pages with information on car seats, car seat safety, installation techniques and all that good stuff. I have many more links, but they are eluding me now

Last edited by meco; 05-11-2006 at 02:36 AM.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #40
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Meco, good post. You should get trained to be a tech. I hung out at the parentsplace.com car seat board for years and learned so much. I found out my class was being offered by one of the ladies there. The class, although really long and complex.. wasn't hard for me at all because I already knew so much beforehand. You should consider becomming a tech, as it will probably be easy for you also. I like being a tech because it is a way for me to volunteer and help people. Most people are very grateful and receptive to the help they receive.