View Poll Results: Do you or will you keep your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear-facing in the car?
We turned/will turn our baby forward before 1 10 9.62%
We turned/will turn our baby on their 1st Birthday! 21 20.19%
We turned/will turn our baby after 1 yr, but before the max rear-facing weight limit 27 25.96%
We will keep our child rear-facing until they reach the rear-facing weight limit! 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #41
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

This is just one of the many things I can get into a debate about with people! It seems like so many people look at turning around the carseat as some sort of milestone they want to rush instead of a safety issue and concern Facing backwards is the safest because when they are young their muscles in their necks aren't very strong and their heads make them top heavy. If you got into an accident the first thing to go would be their necks snapping! To me conveinance isn't more important than safety of my precious cargo I carry with me every day on the road with a bunch of crazies. As for the next size up carseat everyone rushes to get them out of a booster seat and just placed into the vehicles seat as soon as they get a chance to even though IT'S NOT SAFE!!! MOst people don't realize that a childs legs much fold at the knee AND touch the floor of a vehicle to be not in a booster carseat. My daughter who is 8 1/2 still rides in a booster seat. Yeah to some people it looks babyish but how cute would a paralyzed child look? Its MUCH safer to keep your child in the proper carseat till they are able to be safely out of them. Yeah carseats aren't cheap and yeah its a hassle to install, PITA to buckle every time but SAFETY for our children is what should come FIRST!!!

Advertisement

Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #42
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We waited to turn my DD until she was 14 months old. I would of liked to keep her rear-facing longer but rear-facing carseats just do not fit well in our car. When we have a carseat rear-facing, DH can not comfortably drive the car... He's eating his knees (which really isn't safe either). As for DS, I plan to leave him rear-facing for a while yet as DH doesn't drive my car very often, anyway and, most of the time, I just drive when it's all of us.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #43
sunshynemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbkt8
dd is 19.5 months and is still rear facing. she's somewhere 23-25 lbs right now. her seat goes to 30lbs rear facing I believe...

i was actually wondering about turning her today as i noticed her head is starting to get close to the top of the seat....i wasn't sure if that was a factor like it is with infant seats or not...maybe someone will answer that....

eta - i marked the 4th option in the poll since that's my current plan.
Everything Katie said (except mine is a ds ). I am concerned about turning him forward, but his height is getting to the top in his current seat. We may just see if we can find a taller convertible carseat.

With DS #1 I didn't know any better (and didn't pay very good attention), and we turned him before his first birthday, because he was over 20 pounds. I am so glad I know better now.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #44
meco
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsunny1
Meco, good post. You should get trained to be a tech. I hung out at the parentsplace.com car seat board for years and learned so much. I found out my class was being offered by one of the ladies there. The class, although really long and complex.. wasn't hard for me at all because I already knew so much beforehand. You should consider becomming a tech, as it will probably be easy for you also. I like being a tech because it is a way for me to volunteer and help people. Most people are very grateful and receptive to the help they receive.
Thank you, Dsunny. You are very kind. I spent a lot of my pregnancy time reading the car seat techs at Delphi, and I learned so much. It is amazing how much information there is. I am glad to see organizations are revising their guidelines and suggesting RFing as long as the seat allows. I hope seat companies continue to work on higher weight RFing convertible seats.

I will have to check into it. I would love to help people install car seats correctly, but that number is scarily high. It sounds like a cool job to have. Plus it would help me too. However I live in NYC, and I am not sure about it here. I will have to check into it. I do not have a license or a car though. I wonder if that matters?
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:28 AM   #45
woolfulcomforts
Registered Users

My Mood:

hmm i turned Markie at like almost 3 years old..

austin i turned at maybe like 2 but he has so long legs that they where all smashed up against the seat so we had to turn him.
woolfulcomforts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #46
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I turned Joey right around his birthday. He was over height and weight limits and I had to stop the screaming. He hated rear-facing and I think that the distraction it caused me was more potentially harmful. It was non-stop!
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #47
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Our dd was turned around at about 8.5 months, she was 30 pounds (YES, REALLY!!!) , which was our carseats limit, and height wise at the top slots (which can only be used front facing), so on both accounts, she met the height and weight limits, so we HAD to turn her.
Butr, I will say that after reviewing MUCH information, it is FAR safer rearfacing, and if baby#2 is NOT a giant, s/he will stay rearfacing longer!

(and to the poster with the firefighter/professionals who told her it was okay to turn at a year......uummm..have they ever read ANY of the studies??? I have to say no! There is CLEAR, completely conclusive evidence of the superiority of rearfacing, so Im not sure what info. they were going off of...??...)
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #48
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Meco, I don't think you have to have a license to become a tech. I never had to show mine. It is a 4 day, 40hour class you have to take. It is long and tireing, but you learn SO much. I also go on the Delphi forums and there is great info on there. I have bought a few tech shirts from Rebekah as a matter of fact. Check into it, it really is so rewarding... although has a great potential for becomming an obsession I can't pass by a car without looking to see what kind of a car seat they have in it, and if I can tell if it is installed correctly. Let me know if you want the link to the classes offered in the U.S.

Eddited to add: Imommy: the firefighters may have taken a class, but obviously didn't listen to the section on rearfacing or watch the crash test footage. Some people only pick up what info they want to ... it is too bad they passed on bad information.. especially since people believe what they are saying because they are supposed to be certified to know what is safe or not, and their status as firefighters make people think they know all about safety... I am sorry they lead you wrong as they were very wrong in what they told you. The law in your state may allow for forward facing at 1 yr and 20lbs, but laws don't make something safe. It is legal to drink while you are pregnant also, .. doesn't mean it is safe.

Last edited by Dsunny1; 05-13-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Dsunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #49
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I kept Taiven rear facing until 35 months 35 pounds the limit of his seat them in a husky in a harness until 80 pounds now in a booster till 100 pounds! he is 7 and 83 pounds! here he is rear facing at 34 months on the extended rear facing website
here he is 34 months 34 pounds and fit with room to grow

here is what made me keep him rear facing for so long...also remember babies necks can only stretch 1/4th of an inch and in a collision they can me nearly ripped off their necks by stretching up to an inch and a half!

Here is a great website on extended rear facing my son is pictured in it toward the bottom

http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx
Old 05-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #50
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

I turned my first 2 kids around at about 18 months (when they hit 20 pounds). I didn't realize you "could" or "should" leave them rear-facing longer. My 3rd is now 10 months old and I would like to leave her rearfacing longer than "normal" (after reading all of the positives). A few questions:

Is there a seat that fits well in a car where the drivers seat doesn't leave much room behind it for a rear-facing car seat?

Are the new infant seats that go from 5-30 pounds (infant ones with base) just as "short" as the ones that have the 20 pound max?

Is there a seat that gives your toddler more leg room? (I like car seats with the shield-don't like 5-point systems.)

Thanks!
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote