View Poll Results: Do you or will you keep your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear-facing in the car?
We turned/will turn our baby forward before 1 10 9.62%
We turned/will turn our baby on their 1st Birthday! 21 20.19%
We turned/will turn our baby after 1 yr, but before the max rear-facing weight limit 27 25.96%
We will keep our child rear-facing until they reach the rear-facing weight limit! 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #51
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

When a child is a little older (over 6months at least) you don't have to recline the seat rearfacing as much as you do for a newborn. So you might get some more room making the seat more of a 30 degree angle as opposed to a 45 degree angle. The safeseat that goes to 30lbs also has a few inches more height. I believe it is 32inches, whereas the Snugride goes to 29 inches. So, the extra three inches really helps. An infant seat isn't outgrown till the head is within a inch from the top of the shell or they are at the weight limit.
The five point systems are the safest. The overhead shield can harm a child if the straps are not tight enough and their face, head, or abdomen comes into contact with the sheild in a crash. The overhead shield seats are not sold in european countries as they do not pass their crash tests for roll-overs.
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/fivepointshield.aspx
This article explains it better then I can. There are a lot of comfortable 5-point seats out there. Have your baby try them out at Babiesrus, and decide which one seems to fit her the best. A lot of stores aren't even selling overhead shield seats anymore. The target and babiesrus near me doesn't carry them at all.
Let us know if we can help you in any way. I saw the safeseat at a resturaunt yesterday, the parents said they really like it. I have played with it at the store, and it seems to be very easy to adjust.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #52
Spark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsunny1
Rearfacing seats do reduce injuries in side crashes. Sorry you had to go through that, I would have been so scared. I am glad she was ok. Did the insurance company complain about replacing your car seat? Sometimes they can be a real pain about that. I am always curious to see which ones are good about it and which ones are crappy...Which kind of seat was she in? I am very curious about crashes and different seats...
American Family insurance (the other guys insurance company) replaced our car seat after an accident. My dh said that the adjuster gave him a hard time about it, but when I spoke with her, she was very compliant- she just wanted to make sure we had a valid reciept for the replacement seat.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #53
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

my 20 mo dd at her 18 mo appt was just 22.5lbs & 31" - so she could possibly have still fit in a safeseat. i haven't tried one so maybe not since she's got a long torso, but she outgrew our infant seat which was 20 lbs, 28" (i believe) at about 6 months.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #54
Dsunny1
Registered Users

That is great farmerjeni, they can be a pain in the arse sometimes. I am glad yours was easy to work with.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #55
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

farmerjeni-thanks for the info. This is gonna sound bad but I don't like the 5-points cuz they are a pain to hook and unhook. The ones with shields are so much easier. I was looking at the vans in that article...unfortunately, I have a Venture-which I thought was safe. That's messed up. Can't afford a higher rated one though!
I was considering a safeseat until I saw the price tag. There's no way I could spend $150 on a car seat. When DS was little, DH bought him an alpha omega ($180) and I thought he was nuts! I ended up loving the car seat but $180??? Maybe I will find one at a garage sale this summer. I know what they say about accidents...my DD's current carseat was bought on ebay.
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #56
Drummer's Wife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
farmerjeni-thanks for the info. This is gonna sound bad but I don't like the 5-points cuz they are a pain to hook and unhook. The ones with shields are so much easier. I was looking at the vans in that article...unfortunately, I have a Venture-which I thought was safe. That's messed up. Can't afford a higher rated one though!
I was considering a safeseat until I saw the price tag. There's no way I could spend $150 on a car seat. When DS was little, DH bought him an alpha omega ($180) and I thought he was nuts! I ended up loving the car seat but $180??? Maybe I will find one at a garage sale this summer. I know what they say about accidents...my DD's current carseat was bought on ebay.
hey mama, the overhead sheild seats are not safe and are not sold anymore. A few more seconds buckling a 5 pt harness is well worth the added safety. Also I wouldn't recommend buying a used carseat at a garage sale or similar, you don't know the history of it. It could have been in a bad accident, or sat in a hot attic for years. Too risky IMO. I don't think $150 is too much for a child safety seat. I didn't think twice about spending $500 on two marathon's even though we didn't have extra money. Safety is priceless.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #57
Dsunny1
Registered Users

We often say in the cps world, a car seat is cheaper then a casket. The 5-point cosco scenara is only $40 at walmart. It rearfaces to 35lbs and forward faces to 40lbs. It is a well recommended seat to use, doesn't cost much, and brand new... so you know it has all it's parts and hasn't been in an accident. Plus with a new seat you can send in the registration so that you are notified if there is ever a recall. The shield is really only a thin piece of fabric covering a hard plastic dashboard. If you insist on using a shield, you must make sure that the harness is tightened each and every time, the chest clip is in the proper place, no coat or bulky clothing on under the harness, the harness straps are routed though the correct slots (forward facing on OHS usually requires you use the top slots no matter how tall the child as those are the only ones that are reinforced.)
Old 05-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #58
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the added info...correct me if I am wrong on this-if my DD is rearfacing in a carseat with a shield and we get into an accident, her head won't fly into the shield because she is backwards. I do always make sure the buckles are tight-that's a pet-peeve of mine. No sense in using a car seat if you are using it incorrectly. My sis has a Carseat with a shield and just took the shield completely off. That way, it's a 3-point and no shield in the way. She really only took it off because she has twins and a son all in carseats-3 wouldn't fit in her car next to each other unless she took 1 of the shields off. I don't think the shiled does anything for safety anyway though. I have a car seat with a t-shield. It's actually the one at the top of the pic in this link (in the middle):
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/fivepointshield.aspx
what do you think of this one? My sis bought it new and gave it to me (no accidents). If this is safe, I could possibly use it.
Dsunny1-I'll check into that car seat. I saw one there that was about $70 that I liked-has a shield though. I had the alpha omega but I went to one of those car seat safety checkpoints and the cop took it cuz it was "broke". Oh well! Thanks!
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #59
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Excuse while I get on the soapbox but just because its takes longer to buckle and theres a few more steps your childs safety comes last because you rather just hurry up and not waste your time keeping them safe? I would rather be late to every appointment and have them safely buckled and harnessed in the most advanced carseat than have them dead!!! Carseats are NOT about cuteness! Garage sales are NOT the place to be buying a seat either! When it comes to your childs safety their shouldn't be a price tag put on them as to what you will pay to keep them safe! I am sorry but that is just pathetic! I have 4 children and I have spent ALOT of money on carseats, trust me! when we get new ones and its time ot get rid of the old ones I tear them apart before putting them to the trash so no one will use them even though they never were in a crash because they are outdated and thats risky. On another note, why would you bring a child into the world without having a vehicle that can properly house their carseat and keep them safely in their seat as well? I used to have a Grand AM GT when I was pregnant with my first and before she was born we went out and got a minivan. It was used but atleast it was SAFE for a baby! I think sacrifices just need to be chosen wisely to be able to provide for your child in any way possible! Heck the week we bought 2 booster seats for my girls we literally were eating hotdogs and macaroni and cheese every day because we needed them and didn't want to jeopardize their safety by using their old ones any longer.
OK I will step down now from my soapbox. I feel much better getting that off my chest!
Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #60
Dsunny1
Registered Users

The t-shields are not much safer then the overhead shields, they were last made in 2002 (hers may be older then that), so even the newest ones are expired in a year and a half.. The site I linked you to also talks about t-shields.
You are correct, in a forward crash the head would not go forward if the child was rearfacing, but in a rearend they would. I know they are not as common, but I would still worry about it. Altering the seats as your sister did, voids any warrenty or liability the car seat manufacturer might have if they fail in a crash. They are not crash tested as 3 points, the reason the overhead shield is there is so it is part of the restraint system. That is why there are not any 3-point harness seats sold, they are not equipped to hold up to crash forces with out the added bar. She is seriously putting her children at risk and basically using them as crash test dummies. I hope she finds them appropriate seats to use. Many states require that you use the seat as the manufacturer's directions mandate, if you don't and are in a crash and your children are harmed... the parent is liable and could face charges...I have given all the info on why a five point car seat is so much safer then a overhead shield. I can only do that and let you decide what you want to do with that information. My job is to give it, try to get you to see how much safer they are, and hope you take my advice... The rest is up to you.