View Poll Results: Do you or will you keep your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear-facing in the car?
We turned/will turn our baby forward before 1 10 9.62%
We turned/will turn our baby on their 1st Birthday! 21 20.19%
We turned/will turn our baby after 1 yr, but before the max rear-facing weight limit 27 25.96%
We will keep our child rear-facing until they reach the rear-facing weight limit! 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #61
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

Meisubaby-

OK-first off, I am not totally against a 5-point. I have used them and have used one with a shield(yes, I like the shield ones better for ease of use). Just because you think they are safer, doesn't mean that they necessarily are-I am trying to research it and come to my own decision. I would do whatever it takes to keep my child safe! Money has nothing to do with my situation at this point...I could buy a $70 shielded car seat or a $70 5-point-it's about safety and fit for the car. And if I think a 3-point is safe, I will use it. (I am on the fence right now) That's why I am asking for peoples opinions before I do anything. But please don't accuse me of not wanting my children safe. I am so "all about car seats" that I have been to EVERY safety check my city has had! I buckle EVERY time no matter what. My dad and I almost died in a TERRIBLE car accident and I firmly believe that the seatbelts (and God, of course) saved our lives.
About my car- I have a FREAKING minivan! I have had minivans since my first child! I stated that in my post. What I was referring to there is that I just found out (based on a link that someone provided) that my van is not the safest van to get. Had I known this, I would have looked into something else. Will I be getting another van because of this? NO! Not gonna happen. What I also said about my van is that there is not much room inbetween the drivers seat and the back seat for the car seat to be rear-facing. Right now, the infant seat is bumped up snug against the drivers seat and we drive a little closer to the steering wheel than we should so that the carseat will fit. I am trying to figure out how to put a toddler seat rear-facing. I have never done it before but want to try it when Kierstyn is 1 and 20 pounds cuz it is more Safe.
As for getting a car seat at a garage sale, no, it's probably not a good idea and I won't be doing it. I am using one now from ebay but as soon as I decide on a new car seat, I will be switching.
Oh, and I wouldn't spend $300 on a marathon (or whatever they cost). I think that if you do research, you can find a comparable cheaper alternative. Why spend $300 on a seat when you could probably find a cheaper one with the same ratings? That's not gonna happen either!

Back to my original question-would my daughters face hit a shield if the carseat is backwards and we get into an accident?

Advertisement

love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #62
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Also, sorry if I sounded snotty- not trying to...I am just upset becuse I do care deeply about safety!

What's funny is that I just mentioned to my Best Friend that I might work a few extra hours so I could have enough $ for a nice car seat:-)
Old 05-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #63
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Dsunny1-thanks! I will definitely tell my sis what you said-never thought of that before. I got rear ended once and it seems like my head went forward first and then slammed backwards into the headrest. Not sure though...it happened so fast. Thanks!

What car seat do you recommend (if any) as far as a 5-point? Are there any that are easy to adjust-like make them tighter or more loose based on what your child is wearing? Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #64
sunshynemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris

What car seat do you recommend (if any) as far as a 5-point? Are there any that are easy to adjust-like make them tighter or more loose based on what your child is wearing? Thanks again!
I researched and researched, and thought that the Evenflo Triumph 5 was a very good alternative to the Britax (although it doesn't quite have the ease of use factor that the britax does).
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/fa...ats/index.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...nflo%20triumph

The crash protection ratings on the last site were excellent in all positions. It is very adjustable, and we have no problems with any of the workings. It provides a nice tight fit, and great room for our 19 m.o. rear facer.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #65
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Someone said their car and thats what I was referring to. I just sumed up everything that irked me from the whole post and put it into one.
Ashton is in the Evenflo Triumph 5 rearfacing and I must say that it is an awesome carseat! For his 2006 playgroup he is in everyone has the Evenflo Triumph 5 except for 2 people and they have the Britax I think roundabouts is it called? Anyways I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for! There are a few exceptions but for the most part you pay cheap and you get cheaply made that goes for anything. Theres a reason why everything is 5 point because it IS SAFER!!! If I had the extra money I would just buy you a good carseat but unfortunatly I am not in that position at the moment
Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #66
punkmama3
Registered Users

My older 2 were rear facing til they were about 30/33lbs. And they're in boosters until they don't need them anymore now.
My youngest is rear facing until he has better head control, he's 15mths, but his neck is still on the weak side. He seems to really like to rear facing though, he gets all googly and starts talking, lol.

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #67
meco
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaivensMama
I kept Taiven rear facing until 35 months 35 pounds the limit of his seat them in a husky in a harness until 80 pounds now in a booster till 100 pounds! he is 7 and 83 pounds! here he is rear facing at 34 months on the extended rear facing website
here he is 34 months 34 pounds and fit with room to grow

here is what made me keep him rear facing for so long...also remember babies necks can only stretch 1/4th of an inch and in a collision they can me nearly ripped off their necks by stretching up to an inch and a half!

Here is a great website on extended rear facing my son is pictured in it toward the bottom

http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx

that is an awesome photo! Thank you for posting it.

Now that Britney Spears is using her carseat improperly and the media is all over it, I am hoping it gets some attention and people finally get that it is 20 lbs AND 1 year as an absolute minimum.

Last edited by meco; 05-20-2006 at 06:57 PM.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #68
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

10 lbs? I know THAT was an error!!!
Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #69
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

I was like a lot of mamas in that thinking ff was a big milestone on my dc first birthday or when they hit 20lbs. Like it was a good thing and they were a big kid. I have since learned from my ignorance and researched a lot. I just received my Britax Boulevard today and my 14 month old 24lber will be rear facing as long as possible.
In fact I had him ff until I did the research and turned him back around. He could have cared less.

RF is safest!!!

Last edited by hollyhobby30; 05-15-2006 at 04:20 PM.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #70
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
Dsunny1-thanks! I will definitely tell my sis what you said-never thought of that before. I got rear ended once and it seems like my head went forward first and then slammed backwards into the headrest. Not sure though...it happened so fast. Thanks!

In a crash your body moves towards the point of impact. So, if the child is rearfacing and you are hit from behind, she will move toward the shield. I can't predict if she will hit the shield or not because that is based on a number of factors (how fast the car is going, how tight the harness is on her..etc).. You said you remember slamming backwards into the headrest, that is what her body will do, but there isn't a headrest behind her, it is a shield in front of her. KWIM?
Most harnessed seats come with front harness adjusters now. You usually lift a lever and pull on the harness to loosen them, or pull on the strap below the lever to tighten them. There are not many seats that you can only adjust from the back as they are PITA, and the manufacture's have caught on... I really like the cosco scenara, the evenflo triumph, and I hear the safety first intera is good also (once the booster part of the base is removed so it fits the car better). With the lower weight and height limit seats, most often you will need a new seat that has higher harness heights in 2-3years, as most kids outgrow them by height before they are ready for a booster. I had an alpha omega and my daughter outgrew it by 3 yo, and she was a tiny thing. There is no way I could have put her in a booster then, so I had to buy another seat. Buying another seat down the road is not a problem as long as you know to expect it. That is why I stay away from the 3in 1 seats as they promise something that they don't deliver.... I don't know of many kids that get all the way to booster in one unless they are put in the booster mode way too early. The intera has slightly higher slots then the other 3 in one seats, so that is why I mentioned it. It *may* get you to a booster, depends on your child's growth.
This is the reason we recommend Britax so often, although I know it turns people off when they can't imagine spending that amount of money on a carseat. In the long run, many people end up spending more then that because they have to buy multiple lower priced seats... I had to get an evenflo apollo (now discontinued) after my alpha omega. It would have been cheaper to buy a britax in the beginning. I do understand the price range is way out there for people though. It is good you are doing your research now and are committed to keeping your daughter rearfacing.
WOW I just realized I am getting really long winded in my post... Anyway, keep asking questions, and I will do my best at answering them...