View Poll Results: Do you or will you keep your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear-facing in the car?
We turned/will turn our baby forward before 1 10 9.62%
We turned/will turn our baby on their 1st Birthday! 21 20.19%
We turned/will turn our baby after 1 yr, but before the max rear-facing weight limit 27 25.96%
We will keep our child rear-facing until they reach the rear-facing weight limit! 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #71
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

I'm confused...

We have an Evenflo Triumph 5. Online it says rear facing up to 30lbs. On the side of the seat in bold letters, it says, "Rear facing weight must NOT exceed 20 lbs." So what's the deal?

Advertisement

Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #72
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Meisubaby-thank you for clarifying. Sorry for being so offended. My kids are my life! I will check into every seat that was recommended! Thanks!

Dsunny1-I wish I would have known about the whole rear-facing longer thing. My son is 6 and weighs 37 pounds. He is in a no back booster and it crosses his shoulder at the right place. My DD is 4 and is in a high back booster. She is 32 pounds and it says for 30-80 pounds. She's got the kind were the seatbelt kinda stays threaded at the top in if you want to adjust where the belt crosses her shoulder, you move the headrest up or down.
I appreciate the info on possibly needing 2 seats in the long run...I will research the ones you suggested too! I like that some of the seats adjust from the front but if the seat is rearfacing and strapped in, does that block your ability to adjust (like is the strap pressed into the seat back...if that makes sense)? I wish car seats were cheaper-only cuz you know it doesn't cost $300 to make one. More like $50 (at the most) and the rest is profit for them! It just irks me. I will let you know what I end up deciding on! I might make a trip to Baby's r us or Toys r us soon!
one more thing, the first 5 point I tried was the safe embrace. Didn't like it cuz I could pull on the straps with all of my strength and the stupid things wouldn't budge. Can't remember the 2nd 5-point I tried but it was OK. DD was only in it for like 2 months (it's the one the police gave me when they confiscated my alpha omega) and then my DD went to a booster cuz she met the weight limit.
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #73
Dsunny1
Registered Users

I am not sure about the wording on your Triumph laura, but it is 30lbs. Some seats gets recalls because their wording is messed up, and that might be the case in yours. They just send you a new sticker. I will have to ask someone about it. If she is under 30lbs you should be fine.

love2bmom, the seats you have for your older two sound fine. Your daughter could still be in a five point harness as she is pretty far from being 40lbs, but if she sits properly and doesn't mess with the seatbelt... then she should be ok. The straps on rearfacing seats are hard to reach depending on the seat you buy, the titan is horrible, the scenara is ok as long as it is reclined enough, the truimph has knobs on the side to adjust the harness, the marathon is fine, and i am not sure about the alpha omega's and eddie bauers.. haven't used one of those in awhile. The safe embrace was discontinued in 2001, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. The newer harness adjusters are very easy to use, and make it nice to be able to tighten each and every time the kid gets into the seat. I didn't like my alpha omega because the straps were so twisty and would get all turned around in the buckle area... it was a Pain to make sure they were flat like they were supposed to be. Cosco has had complaints on them forever but has yet to change the design... Going to babiesrus or toysrus is a great idea. You can get an idea of what seats you like and put your baby in them to see which ones fit her well.... and they let you install them in your car.. Let me know how it goes and good luck!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #74
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your help! I am gonna start looking up car seats now! I liked my Alpha omega but it was the 3-point so that's probably why the straps didn't get messed up. I bought the safe embrace partly because it had thick and wide straps so I thought they wouldn't twist. I was wrong! I honestly LOVED my alpha omega! Couldn't say anything bad about it! I din't know that you could put your baby in the car seats and try them. They have them on a shelf strapped down (I think) so you can't move them. I'll check while I'm there. I guess I was assuming that since they are up high (not way high but eye-level) that they were secured to the platform! I'll be "test driving" all of them!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #75
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, Jen. Back he goes then. What is the height on it or do you know that? We're about 7-8 lbs. off the weight limit.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #76
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Dsunny1-Hey! I just talked to my sis. You'll be glad to know that because of your info, she is going to babies R us to get another seat! She had no idea that she could get in trouble or that using the seat like she is was unsafe. I was thinking of using her seat (obviuosly with the shield back on) but realized that if the car seat is rear-facing and I try and lift the shield, it's gonna hit the front seat and I won't be able to put the baby in or take her out. So it looks like we are going to Babies r us together. However, after reading all of the online reviews, I have no clue which seat to get. It looks like it boils down to personal preference and that doesn't help me cuz I could love it in the store but hate it in my car! I'll get back with you when we pick out our new seats!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #77
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Laura, I just was at babierus today and saw what you are talking about. It is worded very poorly, It means that babies that are 5-20lbs have to be rearfacing, but doesn't mean you have to turn them forward facing once they hit 20lbs. The ones I saw said something like use rearfacing only for 5-20lbs... It should say, children that are 5-20lbs can only use this seat rearfacing. We have talked about the strang wording issue on a few of my car seat boards, it gets very confusing when a parent is trying to read the directions... and the directions are worded in a way that isn't clear.
Love2Bmom_ That is awesome, thank you for telling her and I am so happy she has decided to listen... The good thing about babiesrus or toysrus is they allow you to try out the seat in your car.. So, hopefully you will be able to determine if it is a good fit or not. There are many good seats there. If you still need to rearface a baby and can't get a britax.. I like the triumph, or the scenara.. they both are fairly easy to adjust the harness on, and not as expensive as the alpha omega or eddie bauer seats. You might have to buy another higher weight or height harness seat later on because they have lower height limits. The only seats that have the higher limits are the britax, the forward facing combination seats, and the Apex (also only forward facing). I don't think babiesrus has the intera, but it looks promising.. I think you can get it at Target... anyway I am rambling. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck. Jen
Old 05-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #78
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

We have a Target so I will check both places. We are going tomorow cuz my husband is off work so he can watch some of our kids! I like that you can try the seats out-never knew that! Which britax do you recommend, if any? I read mixed reviews about marathon, roundabout and regent. I want something fairly easy to adjust the straps (while rear-facing) and one that has straps that don't get all twisted. I figure if I have to, I will charge the seat to a CC and pay it off over time (however, my $200 car seat will end up costing $500...LOL. I should be able to pay it off in 2-3 months though). Oh, and I don't mind a lower weight limit-my babies are skinny usually and when/if she outgrows it, she will probably be big enough to use my other daughters high back booster (my other DD will then get a backless booster which is like $20-no biggy). So, if it only goes to 40 pounds, that's fine. I really appreciate your help and input!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #79
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My 1 year old is definitely still rear-facing. I haven't answered the poll yet because I am unsure if I will leave him rear-facing until he is two years old or at the max rear-facing limit.

My 3 year old is forward-facing, but at 35 pounds, she is past the rear-facing weight limit.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #80
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraheartsherlittleone
Thanks, Jen. Back he goes then. What is the height on it or do you know that? We're about 7-8 lbs. off the weight limit.
As long as their is more then an inch of the back of the seat above his head, he is fine... He will outgrow it rearfacing when he is within one inch from the top, or at the rearfacing weight limit (30lbs).
good luck!

Lovetobemom, I have the marathon and love it, Racenzanes mom who is also a tech has the predisessor (I know I spelled that wrong) to the Decathalon called the wizard.. It has side impact protection and she really likes it. The roundabout is lower height and weight, but has the other cool britax features (seat belt lock-offs and rearfacing tether.) Your other plan is fine also though. I know you can try out seats at babiesrus, don't think you can at target (they are bolted down). Have fun car seat shopping. I went to babiesrus just to play with seats today.. I am such a dork LOL