Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
work+classes=complete loss of sanity? update

Do any mamas work, take care of kids, and take classes? I have been trying to save so that I can take some online courses towards a degree that I screwed up when I was preggers, but it seems like finding the time would be impossible, or expensive, if I hired a sitter. I'm sure it can be done, but is it worth the hassle? Can you actually get things done on time? That is my biggest concern, that I won't be able to meet deadlines. So, what do you think? I don't have a home internet connection, so I'd be traveling w/ds every week to get to a comp. with internet.

UPDATE:
Nothing ever works like it should. My roommate (old ex, good friend I thought) has informed me that I can either get back together with him (I cannot do this for reasons very disturbing to me) or get out, despite the fact that I pay rent, bills, and clean the house for him. So if I do get a chance to take courses, it will be from a place less than comfortable. Thank you mamas for sharing your experiences, it has given me hope!

Advertisement

Last edited by nothingtosee; 07-16-2008 at 08:49 AM.
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: work+classes=complete loss of sanity?

No I stopped the classes when I got pregnant...but we were also moving. For me personally i don't feel it would be worth the hassle because I already feel i lose so much time with my little boy as it is now. focusing soley on school work from the time I get home until I go to bed would give me hardly any time with DS, cooking, cleaning, sewing/crafts (that's not done every night) bath time, etc. I understand there's a certain level of flexibility and not every single day would have to be spent on school but i think overall it woudln't be worth it for our family. and we don't have the extra $ for what scholarships don't cover for books and stuff and i refuse to get a loan for just that.

eta...this is just me but I ESPecially wouldn't drive my kiddos to go use computer else where...unless it was a home setting (aka friends or grandma's and grandmas wouldn't work cuz she's out of town). the few times i've gone to the library to work ont eh computer i ended up chasing the kiddo around. we don't have internet at home either.

Last edited by Weezy6703; 07-09-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me!! School most of the morning, work all afternoon and evening. And the house neeever gets cleaned, lol, except a quick pickup and dishwasher load when I get home at 1am. I am trying to finish my online classes by the deadline (Aug 1!!!) so I am in a crunch. If I hadn't put it off it would have been better. But I am only doing so much of it because of the deadline and the prospect of being DONE!!!! (Seriously, this stuff and I get my B.S.)
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am not but dh is and it's stressful for both of us.. his income isn't enough so I still have to work a lot.. (well it seems like it to me!!) I'd say that for now with almost three young children it isn't worth it.. but that's just my opinion.. I feel like there's so much stress in our house.. it's a huge mess.. and I'm too tired to clean it! (or get quality time with my girls) If possible wait.. if not more power to you!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
slturner
Banned

My Mood:

I DO! Let's see, I have DH + 4 kids, a full time job, and am working on my degree online! Before my youngest was born I was going to class. I had him one week before finals!!!!! I still managed to drag myself to class (wearing a baby ) to take my exams, but once they were done I found an online University to transfer to. There was no way I could keep up going to work and class. I have a VERY flexable job - so sometimes I can do things like school (and chat on DS) at work .

Online class have been much easier for my schedule. And I am progressing to my degree faster. Before I was considered a part time student, now I'm considered full time b/c it's an accelerated program (I begin a new term every 9 week). At this rate I'll be finished within a year. If I was still going to class it would probably take me another 3 years.
slturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hahaha yup I went to school from 9-5 picked up ds from daycare dropped him at the grandparents worked from 6-10 picked DS up and took him home to bed...it sucked I quit working and went to school from 9-5 for 7 months finished my degrees and then had DS2 two months later and now I work
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for your experiences, mamas. I just figure that it's my only hope, since I'm not qualified to get a job that I can actually support us on. Who knows? Maybe I can talk my roommate into paying for the 'net if I do extra chores. Only problem with that is that we live in the middle of NOWHERE and the only options are satellite(sp?) or dial up, and we don't have a home phone.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm attempting it for September I'll be taking full time classes, working part time, and still raising a 5 year old and a 1 year old. It's going to be pretty hard, I'm guessing, but it needs to be done. Hopefully my mother in law is serious about moving to this city because she can help look after the kids.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Nikki_Nikk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have some stuff to finish in my current field, but I'm debating if I *really* want/need to do it now.

When I went back to school the first time before I graduated, it was hard with just my son who was one at the time. Myself, my husband, and my son all had to sacrafice things for a while. I felt horrible putting my son through it because he was so young.I did 10 hr school days, so I could jam it all in, and get ahead.
At that time, my college ed was reaaly (um..) diverse in nature, so if I were going to work, I'd only be making about $12 with my "job skills" at the time. I wanted make sure if I ever *needed* to be the breadwinner , that the time away from my kids would be well spent, and not wasted on several piddly positions.
So I considered school was a necessary responsibility at that time.

Now that I have my career established (and I can get a job anywhere/anytime with leverage in salary) I don't feel like I need to jeopardize my sanity (yes), and time with my kids, AND my performance at work.

I also yet havn't really considered what "the next step" in my career should be (if i'll stick with it ) and when I want it to happen (when both kids are in grade school?) , so it really doesn't make sense for me to put my family through that right now.When I figure all that out- I'll re-evaluate. lol.

My position currently also include professional development, so from that angle it's kinda take it/leave it too.

I hope my rambling reflection helped...

It helped me

p.s. (lol ps...)

Weekend corses from state colleges are Super de duper for working moms! That I will be doing for the few things I could really use right now. They're expensive, but if your employer covers ed cost, it would be worth looking into

(why can't I ever just answer yes/no to a post??)
Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure there are plenty of moms who can do it (my sister did it, and I'm proud of her), but it's not for me.

I'm choosing to be a mom now, and a student later. I feel comfortable, happy, and at peace with my decision. I think that's what's really important. How your choices make you feel about yourself, and your family.

If taking classes is what's right for you and your family, I say do it!

If staying home with your family, and postponing school is right, then I say do that!
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote