Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: work+classes=complete loss of sanity?

I am a full time student, and I work part time on campus (work study). I make the drive to school (2 hours round trip) 3 days per week for work. My schoolwork is all crammed into 2 days. Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm there from 8am to 8pm with 3 hours of work on each day. It makes for some REALLY long days, but I get to be home with my sweet girl 4 days per week, and she comes with me to work on Sundays. It can be done, but you've gotta push yourself and remind yourself daily that it won't last forever! Good luck!

Advertisement

Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
kimsansf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would be tough mama.... I am a FT student too, and I have taught some quarters and will teach again in the Fall. It's hard, but Im not in classes anymore... just dissertating.

When I was a masters student working FT and doing a full load of coursework... that was reeeeaaallly tough, but I didnt have DS. I dont think I could have done it.

Good luck to you mama!

Kim-san: mama to Jackson 7.17.07 and expecting a Katie-bird 1.17.11
kimsansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
naturegurrl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was at the very beginning of my senior year when i found out i was pregnant. But because i worked full time in a factory to support myself in school, and i hate my job, i wasn't going to quit school. Due to various reasons (study abroad and scheduling), I had 6 courses left to take after the end of my senior year. I returned for summer classes 6 wks after DS was born, and continued on until now. It will take a year and a half for six classes which i know is sad, but scheduling classes around my husbands and my work schedule has been very difficult (and I go to smaller school, so they offer many classes only every other year, and no online classes). It was hardest for me to pull myself out of bed after no sleep to wake up my baby to nurse him before classes, and I was only able to nurse for 6 months because I didn't keep up with pumping between classes and work. It has been hard, but totally worth it to know after my final class that I will graduate in December and be able to get a job that I enjoy. And i figure if I am happier and make more money, life will be less stressful in the long run (i hope?).
If you can take online classes, I would totally go for that because you would be able to spend more time and home, and less time commuting. I only have one kid, and I'm positive it would be harder with more and older kids. He is just now a year old and just now getting into everything and wanting my attention. Or you could wait until your kids are older and in school. I don't know because I only have a one year old, but I would imagine that school would be hardest when your kids are ages 2-6.
naturegurrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can take online classes even if they aren't offered by your school, as long as they transfer in. My school didn't offer the upper division classes I needed online, so I am doing BYU Independent Study (Brigham Young University) classes. They all transfer in to what I need (I checked), and I have a year to finish them. (I did. Now I have until Aug 1 ). They are the largest independent study program in the US, last I heard.

Maybe I'm biased because I used to edit for them but it seriously is awesome. My university doesn't have what I need, but I get my online classes anyway this way. Woot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegurrl View Post
I was at the very beginning of my senior year when i found out i was pregnant. But because i worked full time in a factory to support myself in school, and i hate my job, i wasn't going to quit school. Due to various reasons (study abroad and scheduling), I had 6 courses left to take after the end of my senior year. I returned for summer classes 6 wks after DS was born, and continued on until now. It will take a year and a half for six classes which i know is sad, but scheduling classes around my husbands and my work schedule has been very difficult (and I go to smaller school, so they offer many classes only every other year, and no online classes). It was hardest for me to pull myself out of bed after no sleep to wake up my baby to nurse him before classes, and I was only able to nurse for 6 months because I didn't keep up with pumping between classes and work. It has been hard, but totally worth it to know after my final class that I will graduate in December and be able to get a job that I enjoy. And i figure if I am happier and make more money, life will be less stressful in the long run (i hope?).
If you can take online classes, I would totally go for that because you would be able to spend more time and home, and less time commuting. I only have one kid, and I'm positive it would be harder with more and older kids. He is just now a year old and just now getting into everything and wanting my attention. Or you could wait until your kids are older and in school. I don't know because I only have a one year old, but I would imagine that school would be hardest when your kids are ages 2-6.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll be doing it soon...with an added little twist that I'm single again! Woohoo! I put myself through college the first time working a full time job and a part time job while going to school full time...to get my Masters, it's looking like I'll be working full time, WAHM'ing part-time, and raising two toddlers alone. I can hardly wait.

One thing I will tell you as someone who designs and teaches online courses and has taken several online courses in my career: Get internet access! Your experience will be a lot more pleasant if you have your own computer that you can install whatever software you need on, modify any necessary settings, and work on whenever you need to (including in the middle of the night when the kids are asleep). If you're having to drive to the library or to a friend's house or somewhere to get internet access, you're constrained by their schedule and demands on the computer. If you're using a public computer, you may not be able to download/upload files or modify settings to work with the software that runs the class. I know there are some people (mostly students using computer labs on campus) who manage to pull it off, but I've never known anyone to do it for more than one semester because it is far from an ideal situation. Since it's already going to be difficult for you, that will just make your problems that much worse. Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #16
amariebaby1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sooo, i got into nusing school when I was preggers. I started the first term full time with a 9 month old, working 30hrs/wk, and comuting 100miles/day. it can be done, but imo not really worth it if you can avoid it. by xmas break i broke down and asked dh if we could sell the house and move closer to my school. we pulled it off, and now i am full time nursing student and mommy, no other 'work-for-income'. i still don't have a lot of time with this program.
I do A LOT of homework during nap time (DH is also gone at that time). I can live off of 5 hours of sleep/night. I eventually will get my PhD, but I have accepted and am happy with the slow boat, my kids come first.

Last edited by amariebaby1; 07-12-2008 at 12:55 AM.
amariebaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #17
christy005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am right now. I work two part time jobs and am in a part time masters program. It's very stressful. I just started this quarter, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I am behind on housework and pretty much everything. and I miss my son
Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #18
FaithandAndrewsMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't been to school I tried to do some online courses and work with a daughter, but I couldn't make it go. The usual, the house never got clean, no clean laundry unless it during the middle of the night. But I found a great new job that I have been enjoying and it works great with the kids (now I have 2) with my DH and no degree necessary! YEAH!! so I have been doing it full time (if you consider 2 kids a husband and a housefull of chores full time). My husband even jokes that by this time next year he wants to quit his job and be a SAHD! If anybody is interested check this out tbwl.org/krystal

Last edited by FaithandAndrewsMom; 07-15-2008 at 10:50 AM.
FaithandAndrewsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #19
cyrdian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all- so sorry-something is seriously wrong with my spacebar and it is driving me crazy!

I have my degree now, but did a year at school after my first dd was born plus online classes at the same time. I didn't have an internet connection either, so downloaded and printed a lot, and mailed some assignments. I found time to read a little each day during other classes or when breastfeeding. (Actually , OT sorry- one time I was breastfeeding and highlighting a textbook at the same time. I fell asleep and highlighted right through my baby's sweater and onesie all over her back-have some pics of it still).

Still, I was pretty wiped, our dinners weren't exactly stellar, and our apartment was a mess. My opinion- if it is really important to you, then you will be able to make it work- but take on a little at a time and be kind to yourself -- you are already working hard! You could pick a class you think you would really enjoy and take it. Most classes have a short trial period you can drop within for a full refund if you decide not to take it.

I would love to get a higher degree, but am postponing it until later for now.
cyrdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: work+classes=complete loss of sanity? update

Sorry your roommate is being a butthead! I am working as an RN. I work about 30 or so hours a week and use a few hours of vacations each week. I have two little boys and I am going to graduate school full-time. It sucks, I feel like I am missing time with my boys but I am so glad that I will be done before they are in school and have schedules of their own. I also love my job and the town we live in and going to school will allow me to stay here. A friend is going back to school and her kids are much older and she has a heck of time finding the time for school since they have sporting events and such. You do just have to find peace liek pp said. If you are going to be frustrated that you're not in school then find a way to go to school a little bit at a time. Hugs mama!