Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
describe the kool-aid process for me please!

needing to dye some prefolds and some natural wool with yummy kool-aid. Can anyone tell me your step by step process? How many things can I dye in one batch?

TIA ladies!

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: describe the kool-aid process for me please!

I'm not sure about the process but I'm pretty sure that the kool-aid would not dye the prefolds and stay dyed. It would wash out of them
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
MommaRalph
Registered Users
seller

Haven't done it yet but someone once gave this link:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html

My new blog! www.mommaralph.blogspot.com
MommaRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

i think you can do it in the microwave......thats all i know!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey there! Prefolds will not dye with kool aid. You will need to use somethign else like rainbow rock, dylon, or procion dyes.

For wool, you can use kool aid. Two methods...I have used both and like them both equally. Kettle dyeing...which is on the stove in a big pot. You put enough water to come like to your palm then you put a glug of vinegar. Boil it then put the yarn in and squish to get wet...don't aggitate much. Then you put your kool aid in. You can pour the straight powder or mix it with water and vinegar first to dissolve (better so that you don't get powder spots). You can leave some out to do two different colors or if you want a mix...you can put one color on one side let it absorb then add the next color. The water will turn back to almost clear when the color is absorbed.

The other way is in the microwave by handdyeing. I mix the kool aid or wilton with warm water and vinegar. Put the yarn on wax paper and paper towels underneath. I use craft foam sponges and paint the yarn with the colors. Then you put it in a microwave safe dish, make sure the colors don't touch. Cover with saran wrap and microwave for 2 min...open the door when done to cool for a few minutes. Repeat 3-4 times to set the dye...make sure you give ample time to cool between microwaving so it doesn't cook too much or burn.

The kettle dyeing gives smooth transitions btn colors and natural mixtures. The handpainting is very distinct sections. HTH
Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just dyed my wool with kool-aid today for the first time. I was so afraid, but it was soooo easy! I used the first method described in the previous post.

1. I boiled water with vinegar in a stainless steel pot (use gloves for the kool-aid). I used just enough water to reach to the top of the yarn, but not cover it.

2.Once boiling, I added the yarn. I had wound the yarn around two chair backs and tied it in sections. This made a big ring of yarn. I used a plastic spoon that was bent to mash the yarn into the water so it was fully saturated. I turned down the heat on the pot so that it wouldn't be smokey, so that I could see what I was doing.

3. I mixed a couple of drops of water into a smaller bowl and stirred the Kool-aid around and poured it into certain areas on top of the yarn. Mashing down just a little on the yarn to get the color to penetrate, but not too much because I didn't want to turn all the water that color.
(I discovered that I liked pouring the powder just right out of the packet instead of mixing it with water first).

4. I added a second, third, etc. colors until I was satisfied.
5. Removed pot from stove and slowly added cool water to the pot. Used the spoon to scoop up a section of the yarn and hang it over the top of a hanger.

6. Set the yarn to hang outside and let it drip dry (when it is 100 degrees outside, it doesn't take long to dry.
7. When dry, I washed it in wool wash and then lanolized. Hung to dry again.

It was so easy, I want to now take all the yarn that I have ordered that I don't like and add some more dye to them.

I'll add a pic of it tomorrow.

So much fun, but my son was upset that I used four packs of Kool-Aid and he didn't even get to drink any of it

Last edited by tryin; 10-05-2006 at 12:31 AM.
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the prefolds- I have used Dylon Permanent Fabric Dye that I found at Joann's for $1 (clearanced colors). It was actually a lengthier process than dyeing the yarn. But the color was even and vibrant. I just followed the directions on the packet.

You first must wash and dry the items you wish to dye.

You can dye soooo much with one little packet, so I would dye any t-shirts at the same time to match or several of one color.

I haven't tried to mix colors, I just dyed it one solid color-Soon I was looking for anything to add to the water-t shirts, prefolds, aristocrats, onesies,etc. because it was ALOT of water/dye. I ended up pouring alot of it down the drain.
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote