Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty training and daycare

anyone want to share experiences with potty training or potty learning at home and daycare? I shared in PT forum and no response. Figured I'd check here and see how it goes for parent's who are gone during the day and home at night or whatever your situation is.

Here's the scoop:
Landon has been using the potty at home for months now. He doesn't go nude or wear underwear for naps or bedtime (those I do use diapers) but the whole time I'm home and on the weekends I let him roam free or do the underwear. The problem we've been facing for months now is we have to put a diaper of some sort on for daycare and the moment he has a diaper on he knows he can let go in it. I've told a few different workers I'd like for him to be worked with at daycare (because they honestly don't mind) b/c it's very frustrating that he does it at home but not there. But then a week goes by and some of his teachers rotate out to different rooms. One of the girls specifically moved to another room that I know I'd talked to.

Last night I took a video of him pulling up his training underwear, a video of him washing his hands (didn't show that one to them) with his froggy soap from Suz (Sun Chief Soaps on Beautiful Enchantments/HC), a video of him brushing his teeth, and one of him stepping up on the stool and getting on the padded seat. He used it and as soon as he finished he looked up, grinned, did a clap and said 'bubble bath'. LOL He knows the routine. Last night I told him from now on he had to try to go potty when we brush his teeth and do bathtime at night. He was dry at the time and he did use it upon that 'prompting'.

I only showed them the video of him pulling up his underwear and him getting on the potty to use it (the others were for grandparent's sake) and they acted like they were blown away. I'm thinking you silly he's been doing it for months now. But I didn't push the issue. I asked them would they be comfortable with me bringing him in just the padded underwear and they said yes I said do you need some of the covers? I told them I didn't mind bringing what ever I needed to to help foster this learning environment for him but just let me know what you feel most comfortable with and we can come to an agreement. She said no you don't need to bring covers, such and such little boy is just brought in his underwear (granted they have to change him often if he doesn't tell them he has to go) so you can do that if you want

I only have about 4 or 5 pair of those padded underwear so I'm going to try and get some more somewhere for really cheap but I'm excited that even the measures to get them to work with him were a tad over the edge, I had to do something to get the point across.

Last night I had this conversation when brushing his teeth and washing his hands that every night from now on when we brush our teeth and take a bath we would have to 'try' and go potty. He was dry at that point but DID go pee.

update this morning (july 9 '08) i dropped off 4 pair of underwear, well 3 cuz he was wearing one that were still dry at the point of being dropped off. I also included some extra shorts and stuff. She told me she'd start asking him every hour if he needed to go. I told her it may take a while for him to catch on but that was okay. And if he ran out of underwear to just use his diapers. (i'm in process of trying to make some boxer briefs)

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
slturner
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Potty training and daycare

Sounds like you guys are definitely on the right track! My 4 and 3 year olds go to preschool 3 days a week. Last school year (my DD was only 2 then) - her teacher insisted that Bella was NOT PLing (saying that she didn't think she was ready), however at home she was doing just fine. So what my DH and I started doing was taking her potty when we dropped her off at school in the morinings (there's a bathroom in each class). The first time we did this the teacher was amazed! She's was like "BELLA! Did you just go potty?" and then she told us that Bella never goes for her. So I think that it probably had a lot to do with Bella not being comfortable with anyone else taking her potty.

Now that she's been out of school for a month for summer break, she's completely potty trained! Well - except for night time.
slturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

awesome...thanks for sharing. That's kind of how they acted, of they didn't think he could. But with me and dh working with him at home I think he's just not familiar with having to use it elsewhere and mama or daddy not being there. We're getting to do it at night every night and starting to try and go every morning...that's a great idea about showing them right htere. be my luck landon wouldn't go. lol Ours too has a bathroom in each class.

I feel that just like he had to start somewhere at home, he'll have to start somewhere at daycare.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good for you!!!!

I am a daycare provider, and In the 20+ years of daycare, I have NEVER, EVER had even one parent potty train their child. Not once! I have had to potty train every single kid myself, then when I get it done, the parents will step in later.

Seriously. I can't think of a single kid who was potty trained at home first.

That's probably why they looked at you like they were shocked.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Good for you!!!!

I am a daycare provider, and In the 20+ years of daycare, I have NEVER, EVER had even one parent potty train their child. Not once! I have had to potty train every single kid myself, then when I get it done, the parents will step in later.

Seriously. I can't think of a single kid who was potty trained at home first.

That's probably why they looked at you like they were shocked.
Wow are you serious??? ( i know you are i just can't believe that is my initial reaction)

landon was in an in home daycare until february of this year. There were just 4 sometimes 5 babies there. at the time he left he was the oldest. Even there he'd been using it at home and the sitter told me she tried but he didn't want to. But we kept doing it at home as usual. Then when we switched to the daycare 'center' they told me some were trained and some were not. THey were okay with the cloth and for a while we just used sposies and cloth. I sent the undies for a while but it didn't work. so then i just sent all cloth diapers and they didn't really work with him. Now that I know that I know that I know for months now he's been going I wanted them to start working with him there at daycare. I couldn't ever imagine NOT trying it at home first.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH and I have been talking about this for the past few months... Our boys are 32 months and have only gone on the potty maybe 5 times each. They love to sit on it at home, and they definitely know what it's for, but they're stubborn and won't go if they don't want to. For instance, William was on his little potty, but stood up and asked for a diaper because he had to pee. I suggested that since he was on the potty he could just go there, or if he wanted to use the big potty, he could do that. He was visibly holding it - legs crossed and doing the little dance - but wouldn't go on the potty. I finally put a dipe on, he went and then asked to be changed. It's so frustrating.

Anyways, our dcp doesn't have a problem helping them PL, but because they're not even close at home, I didn't really pushed it at daycare. Luckily my DH is a teacher and off for the summer with the boys. We're thinking that we just need to take the dipes away so that they're only using trainers or undies. DH agreed to do this, but so far he's still using the dipes. I really want the boys to be more consistent, if not fully "trained", by the fall when they go back to daycare so that our dcp isn't doing the bulk of the work.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't put DS into daycare full-time until he was 3.5 and by then he was fully potty-trained (my mother in law used to watch him and was not as helpful as I'd hoped when he was p'learning).

I've been glad my girls are showing interest in the potty at 19 months (and each gone a few times ) because I'm afraid of what our neighbor's child went through happening to them.

At her son's daycare (same one DS is at now and DDs might be at this winter) once a child is 2 yr. and 3 mo. old they tell the parents to no longer bring in diapers, just underwear and changes of clothes. They basically force potty training which I totally disagree with. This poor boy was pushed into it and ended up taking longer to train then DS. It's really the only thing about the school that I don't like.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadoni View Post
We didn't put DS into daycare full-time until he was 3.5 and by then he was fully potty-trained (my mother in law used to watch him and was not as helpful as I'd hoped when he was p'learning).

I've been glad my girls are showing interest in the potty at 19 months (and each gone a few times ) because I'm afraid of what our neighbor's child went through happening to them.

At her son's daycare (same one DS is at now and DDs might be at this winter) once a child is 2 yr. and 3 mo. old they tell the parents to no longer bring in diapers, just underwear and changes of clothes. They basically force potty training which I totally disagree with. This poor boy was pushed into it and ended up taking longer to train then DS. It's really the only thing about the school that I don't like.

no i don't agree with forcing it either...like I know it would be totally different if my LO wasn't doing it at home - if that was the case I wouldn't even be discussing it. If just underwear and change of clothes and they aren't ready...yeah it can take longer and actually more messy. Our DCP does allow diapers/trainers/cloth/whatever you want to bring really.

i know what you mean about MIL not being as helpful. a few weekends ago DS went all weekend with only 4 diapers (nap and bedtime on sat/sun). she came and watched him monday and brought some pampers regular diapers (not even the pull ups which i don't like those either now) She just got included on this tidbit of information so hopefully she'll stick with it.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Craigkimjacobs1
Registered Users

My Mood:

The best thing is if he has 2 or less accidents at the daycare during the day for him to wear regular underwear. The padded ones are harder foor little ones to manuver. Make sure they are taking him potty regularly!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigkimjacobs1 View Post
The best thing is if he has 2 or less accidents at the daycare during the day for him to wear regular underwear. The padded ones are harder foor little ones to manuver. Make sure they are taking him potty regularly!
do you think 1 x per hour is enough or should I get them to try more? I'm in process of about to start making some boxer brief undies but until then Im' using the padded kind.....problem we have there is he can do them up and down but he wasn't to take them ALL the way off. LOL instead of just pushing them down to his feet. i can deal with that though.