Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty training and daycare

This may not be meant to go here, but how do you manage to encourage your children to use the potty rather than to go in their dipes? I don't want to force the boys, but if I left it completely up to them I don't think they'd ever choose to use the potty on their own. I know that they're ready and I guess that's why I'm thinking that maybe they just need that extra "push" to get it to click. I guess I'm just getting kind of frustrated because they know what to do, they have some control over their bladder (they'll hold it while on the potty so that they can go in their dipes) and they'll hold it for so long that when they finally do go they're soaking through everything anyways.

Should I just kind of forget about it and wait for them to give me another sign? Or do we keep doing what we're doing and hope for the best? This PL stuff is harder than I thought it would be...

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
Nikki_Nikk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
But then a week goes by and some of his teachers rotate out to different rooms.

I hate places like that! How in the world can you expect someone to track a child's development, and encourage it's progression!?

I think it's GREAT that you took the video, and showed them! Awesome mama! Lol. They should already know that children are capeable, and be working with him at his level of ability.
My only suggestion is staying on top of them because you don't really have a choice. If your son has any sort of permanent or daily chart, be sure to very pointedly remind them on it to remind your son to potty.
If he has several accidents daily, hopefully they'll catch on to remind each other as they come and go, but it's good to have something in their face in writing (or maybe even a picture) to help them out. In all fairness (depending on the class ratio) things can get hectic, and seemingly "little" things can get unintentionally lost in the day.

I hope this won't be an issue for you guys soon. And good for DS using the toilet!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_Nikk View Post

I hate places like that! How in the world can you expect someone to track a child's development, and encourage it's progression!?

I think it's GREAT that you took the video, and showed them! Awesome mama! Lol. They should already know that children are capeable, and be working with him at his level of ability.
My only suggestion is staying on top of them because you don't really have a choice. If your son has any sort of permanent or daily chart, be sure to very pointedly remind them on it to remind your son to potty.
If he has several accidents daily, hopefully they'll catch on to remind each other as they come and go, but it's good to have something in their face in writing (or maybe even a picture) to help them out. In all fairness (depending on the class ratio) things can get hectic, and seemingly "little" things can get unintentionally lost in the day.

I hope this won't be an issue for you guys soon. And good for DS using the toilet!

With that on issues i've had in the past, i go straight to the director or co-director and they will definitely make sure everyone is on the same page. Some of the girls don't work a full day, but most do and I think that's why every now and then things may get overlooked. and i know Landon isn't going to voluntarily show them so it's up to me to get on them
Old 07-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #14
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
This may not be meant to go here, but how do you manage to encourage your children to use the potty rather than to go in their dipes? I don't want to force the boys, but if I left it completely up to them I don't think they'd ever choose to use the potty on their own. I know that they're ready and I guess that's why I'm thinking that maybe they just need that extra "push" to get it to click. I guess I'm just getting kind of frustrated because they know what to do, they have some control over their bladder (they'll hold it while on the potty so that they can go in their dipes) and they'll hold it for so long that when they finally do go they're soaking through everything anyways.

Should I just kind of forget about it and wait for them to give me another sign? Or do we keep doing what we're doing and hope for the best? This PL stuff is harder than I thought it would be...

you may or may not be up for this but we would have landon naked. not long after he'd had something to drink we'd watch him like a hawk!!!!! as soon as his penis got stiff we knew it was 'time' to go. he missed the first time or two. But for a week or so every time we saw that. We'd sit him on the potty. The first several times of actually making it to the potty he kept wanting to get up. We'd let him up. But still would continue to watch every little change he make. Not long and as soon as we saw the sign, we put him on and he just started peeing. continued to do that for months. not long after the initial 'going' the first couple of times he quickly realized he couldn't go on the floor and he'd have to go #2. He cried the first time b/c he didn't have his diaper on but we just told him in a very soft voice , honey it's okay. If you need to stinky or go poo poo it's okay to do it on the potty. We'd hug him and reassure him. He whined a little more and would sit down on it. FInally he just grunted and got it out. (we took pics. lol) now we have no trouble with pee or poop (just trying to make the transition from dipes to undies at daycare...which may take a while longer but that's okay)

Now if he's completely buff, he'll just go and sometimes whine when he has to go and we'll take a trip to the big boy potty (in the bathroom on the toilet). We still keep his baby bjorn in the living room just in case. Last night while I was cutting out pads on the couch, he went 3 different times without telling us or asking and one of those he just took his potty bowl and dumped it in the toilet.

He still has a slight bit of learning with the undies though> I think since he learned to potty without his clothes on he's still that ingrained into him. We changed undies 3 times the other day at home in the evening and the 4th pair I put on him he'd not wet yet but we brushed teeth/washed hands/etc and I told him we needed to 'try' and go. he didn't want to at first but finally climbed up on the toilet and went.

i think if you can catch the exact moment they need to go and catch it several times in a row...at least for us it made it easier and once he saw that he could, he wanted to keep doing it. Sometimes he still asks to put his diaper on but we just tell him that we are wearing big boy underwear and using the big boy potty. I don't exactly like putting emphasis on 'big boy' but he gets excited making a big deal out of it, so for now it works. then i can turn right around and show him the pile of 'underwear' and he wants those. ;-)one day he just kept fussing and fussing to have his diaper on and I just told him we are not wearing diapers anymore except when we go to bed. He didn't say anything after that and when i suggested his big boy underwear he went for it. Doing rewards (candy) doesn't necessarily work with our LO because he'll just ask for it outside of pottying and we don't do that and we don't normally buy candy anyhow so we just don't do it all together. We just give lots and lots of praise once he does go and he stays excited about it for a while. And it's always an extra bonus if daddy gets to see it or if daddy and LO go together in the bathroom. Now he likes the actual act of getting to climb on the stool and getting on his 'blues clues' seat cushion

i can tell you if we never showed landon anything he'd most likely not take the initiative. I don't see anything with showing and setting examples...they may not get it right away, but the thing is they don't 'have' to get it right away. sorry this got so long
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's great advice! Thanks! Maybe we'll give the nekkid training a try...

Last evening we had the boys in trainers and after an hour or so William asked if he could pee in his. I gently, but kind of excitedly since I knew he knew that he had to go, told him that it would be better to use the potty - as I guided him towards the bathroom. We got the the bathroom, he looked at me with a smile on his face, and said "It's okay Mommy, me just went in my training pants." See, the times that they've used the potty, they've kind of decided completely on their own to do it. When we suggest using it, they complain about it. That's where I'm not sure what to do... And because they're in dipes most of the time, I don't want to confuse them in that sometimes it's fine to go in their dipes, but at other times we want them to use the potty. If only I could just stay at home with them for even a week to be consistent I'm sure it would help...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Humm...daycare wants to start PT DS who is 2. I'm all for it. He's following her 3 yr old who is in the process of PT. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #17
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just an update...DS used it at daycare for first time friday afternoon!! I'm so excited. Then he peed this morning right as I was putting the carseat back in the car...so he was wet upon arrival. They said they tried about 3 different times with no success but the last time he did it. Still may take a while to completely sink in but we went and bought a coloring book to celebrate.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #18
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YAY!!! That's great!

We had another potty refusal this weekend... Again it was William... He was having his bath and then told us that he had to pee. I took him out and put him on the potty, but he said that he didn't want to go on the potty - he wanted a diaper to pee in. He ended up holding it for over half an hour before he actually went (in a diaper). Matthew was very cooperative with sitting on the potty, but I guess we never put him on at the right time because he didn't go at all either. I guess it'll happen when they're ready... But DH said that he's going to start being more consistent with them since they're home during the day...