Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
daizydoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Waking at Night

DD is 8 months old but is still waking 2-3 times a night. My older 2 slept thru the night at 4 months and I am just not sure what I can do to help dd sleep better-get self back to sleep. The ped said she is old enough that she doesn't need to be waking to eat that she should be able to sleep thru. I lay her down awake after she nurses and she goes to sleep easily- usually no fussing at all but she wakes between 12-1, around 4, and again around 6-7 for the day. I have tried to go in at set intervals and soothe her but after her screaming for 2 hours I decided it was easier to just nurse for a few minutes and get back to sleep- dh works nights so I am the only one here to deal with night wakings. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try to get her to sleep better or is anyone dealing with the same issues? The first two were such good sleepers and I am just at a loss as to what to do to help dd or will I just need to wait this out and hope she outgrows it.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: Waking at Night

8 months is still very young. I think waking is pretty normal.
My baby still wakes about 2x per night. He is in bed with us, so I just wake up enough to lift my shirt to nurse him. He is 14 months. I can't imagine having to get out of bed. Of course, cosleeping doesn't work for all families...
Old 10-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is 20 months and sleeps in her own crib. But she still wakes up at least once or twice a night and won't go back to sleep unless I nurse her. And when she does wake up, she screams!!! I wonder how it will be when she starts talking more! LOL I think part of her waking up might be because she has had a really rough time with teething....she only has 4 teeth and #5 is a molar that is just starting to come thru.

Sorry I wasn't more help! I just wanted you to know you weren't alone!
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

YOu were very lucky with your first!
No really, most dr's say that for the first two years a baby can wake several times a night. Heck, if my 15 month old DD wakes up three or four times a night, that's a GOOD NIGHT!!! LOL!!
The way i look at it, I may really hate it, and i sure would love to get 8 hours (or even 4 hours!) of continuous sleep, but it's not like she'll be doing it when she's 16 years old, I just have to remind myself that she is a baby, and she needs me. And she won't always need me. *sniff*
Hugs Mama- and, you're not alone!!

oh, also,. our ped says the same thing, but really, aren't most of them used to dealing with FF babies that have been CIO'ed? If you want to, check out the book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution. An excellent source.
One additional comment, when the AAP says "sleep through the night" they really mean "sleep for five straight hours" not ALL night.

Last edited by Mom2Natalya; 10-05-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are NOT alone. When people ask if DD's sleeping thru the night, I just glare at them. And I thought it was helpful to have also read what PP said about 'thru the night' meaning 5 hrs.
DD is usually asleep by 8pm, then wakes at 12, 3 and 6ish--she goes from sleeping peacefully to screaming and crying, as if she's going to wither away to nothing if I don't feed her RIGHT NOW!!! She's 7m now and for the past 2w has been waking at 12, 3, 5 and 6ish. (Considering I don't get to bed till 1am as it is, I'm BEAT!--I get up for work at 6.)
We spoke w/ our ped yesterday who didn't offer any solutions really. She reminded us that BM is digested w/in an hour, so it's normal if they're hungry after 3 hrs.
I have a few theories on the # of DD's wakings increasing lately, but don't know which one it could be--Is she teething? (no real signs of it, other than putting things in her mouth more, but that's just a developmental thing anyway.) Is she comfort nursing because I'm away from her all day? (she does eat a full mean tho, not just quick snacks, so it SEEMS like she's hungry.) Has my supply decreased? (maybe she's not getting enough from me? i still pump plenty during the day and my BBs seem just as full as ever--am starting fenugreek today tho just in case.) Is she just eating more/going thru a growth spurt? (ped suggested adding a 2nd solids feeding during the day in addition to her nightly BM-diluted avocado--starting that today, too.)
Who knows? But you're not alone. That's for sure!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
daizydoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am so glad to hear from others who are going through the same things. This time around is so different than the 1st two. We put dd down about 8:00 than she is up around 12:30 then every 2 1/2 to 3hrs after that. It was so weird, the other night dh was putting laminate flooring in and was banging on it all night(he works nights shifts, then on nights off he can't sleep) and she slept thru it all and did not wake until 5:00 it was so nice. We do give her dinner about 7:00 and then she nurses before bed. I am just glad that we do not have pressure from family to CIO because that just didn't work- I swear she is the most stubborn child sometimes.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
widdletigger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are at 8 months and still doing alot of waking. Ours recently got worse and we have pritty much narrowed it down to a medicin they recently put him on. But even before that he was still up 2 to 3 times a night. I figure if he is willing to nurse quickly and go back down I can live with it. I do hope in the next 6 months or so we can get it down to only one waking a night.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
krisnzig
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is perfectly normal for babies to wake up still at that age. My dd is 1 year old and still wakes sevseral times a night. She is however starting to sleep longer and longer. I really think there is not a lot you can do but be there for your child when they awake at night and need you. Remember bm is digested much quicker than formula, so it is normal for a bf baby to wake at night. Just enjoy the baby years and don't stress about the sleep thing... it will work itself out when your baby is ready. I am looking forward to when my dd is 16 years old and I can go in her room 4 times a night and wake her up like she does to me now!!

krisnzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

DD slept 9-10 hours a night from 4 weeks until 8 months. At 8 months she started teethign and night waking at the same time. Now she wakes up 2-3 times a night and won't go back to sleep without nursing.

New recomendations say not to try to wean a child off their night wakings until at least 12 months old. We don't cosleep here either, although trust me, I'd like to DD will just squirm and fuss and try to crawl away until I put her in her crib, so everytime she wakes up I have to fully wake up to get her and nurse her. I remember it being so easy w/DD#1 cosleeping, I didn't care how much she woke to night feed then lol.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
ce&E
Registered Users

You are not alone and that is good for all of us to remember. My ds is almost 11 months old and still wakes several times each night screaming. We've read The No Cry Sleep Solution and tried lots of the advice but nothing seems to really help other than remembering that he is still such a baby. We are currently looking for anew ped though because at our last checkup I asked about sleep because sometimes he is so unconsolable that I worry that something might be wrong since this has been going on his whole life and she told me that I needed to put him in his crib at 7pm and not open the door until 7am no matter what he did or he would never learn to sleep! Oddly, this has somehow made me more patient and understanding of my little guy's needs, he has a temperment that just wouldn't work with such an approach. I understand that lots of good parents choose to CIO I have never known anyone who would just leave a baby all night no matter what. Sorry, about that rant but just want to encourage you to hang in there!