Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
thecowgirl
Registered Users

Location: Coupons & Freebies Mom, sharing freebies & deals! www.couponsandfreebiesmom.com
My Mood:
what do you make of the autism and vax connection?

what do you make of the autism and vax connection? do you think there is one? isn't one? do you have any personal experience one way or the other? i just started reading a bit about it (also saw the sticky about it but haven't read all the links)... is there anyone out there (on this forum i mean) who thinks their child developed autism due to vax? i am trying to find out all the info i can on this topic and hear from other mamas... so far i have read it seems to be specifically the measles portion of the MMR vax that *may* be linked to autism?

and let me be honest... i am scared to death to have my son get this vax because of what i've read.... and i am considering spacing the vax out, giving the M/M and R portions separately, at separate times, but that seems virtually impossible because we live in the middle of nowhere and will likely not be able to find the separate vax....

Advertisement

"Like" Coupons & Freebies Mom on Facebook for more HOT FREEBIES!
thecowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: what do you make of the autism and vax connection?

I read the book Changing the Course of Autism by Bryan Jepson. It talks about treating autism as a disease versus just a behavioral disorder. The author goes through all the things going wrong in the body of a child with autism and how those things can be linked back to ingredients in vaccines. It's pretty convincing. And personally, I think anyone who denies the link either hasn't read enough about it or has something to lose by admitting it.

Also, any time you hear about studies that show there is no relationship between autism and vaccines, it's always statistical. IOW, someone ran the numbers and couldn't find a correlation. (convenient how statistics can be manipulated to say whatever we want them to say) But generally studies that show there is a correlation are more scientific. For example, studies that show that thimerisol does in fact inhibit brain function. Or studies where they've given mice equivalent doses of thimerisol and they developed autistic like behaviors. Those kinds of studies are so much more convincing to me than ones that simply did a survey of kids and couldn't find a correlation.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I think there is a very strong link between the two.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What's scary to me is that if your little one has the predisposed condition that vaxing would aggravate, there's no way to know until after you vax for it. It's like russian roulette, and it scares me. I think there is that connection, and I wish they'd make it easier to know if your little one is going to be safe or not.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I read the book Changing the Course of Autism by Bryan Jepson. It talks about treating autism as a disease versus just a behavioral disorder. The author goes through all the things going wrong in the body of a child with autism and how those things can be linked back to ingredients in vaccines. It's pretty convincing. And personally, I think anyone who denies the link either hasn't read enough about it or has something to lose by admitting it.

Also, any time you hear about studies that show there is no relationship between autism and vaccines, it's always statistical. IOW, someone ran the numbers and couldn't find a correlation. (convenient how statistics can be manipulated to say whatever we want them to say) But generally studies that show there is a correlation are more scientific. For example, studies that show that thimerisol does in fact inhibit brain function. Or studies where they've given mice equivalent doses of thimerisol and they developed autistic like behaviors. Those kinds of studies are so much more convincing to me than ones that simply did a survey of kids and couldn't find a correlation.

I agree with you about that statistics and everything you said. I'm scared of vaxing and scared of my ds getting a vax preventable illness! Its been one of my hardest parenting decisions.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No one has to agree with me, but I feel that any "connection" between vaccinations and autism are purely circumstantial.

I have worked with children with autism and there is a higher incidence of autism in twins (fraternal or identical didn't seem to matter). There were 8 children in the group where I worked and 4 of those children were twins. That tells me that it has less to do with things like vaccinations and more to do with genetics or something that happened in utero. That's just my opinion.
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Craigkimjacobs1
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have 3 children and am a special education teacher. I have worked with many children with autism. Years ago they thought that the mercury that was in the vaccines may be linked to autism. But now most childhood vaccines have no mercury in them. Make sure to check with your pediatrician to ensure that the brand of vaccine your child is getting is mercury free.

I also have seen in the children that I work with that their is a huge genetic link with many families having 2 or more children with some form of autism. Autism or PDD often does not show in children until we expect to see language @ 18mths-3 years old. Unfortunately this is the time that children are scheduled to receive routine vaccinations. I believe that this is just coincidence of timing. Anyone can take information or studies to prove a point on one side of the debate or the other. I think it is a shame that they are trying to scare so many parents into not getting proper vaccines for their children. It is much more dangerous not to get your child vaccinated. Thanks to the miracle of vaccinations most childhood illness that once children have been eradicated. If parents continue to move forward not vaccinating their children they are putting our children at risk by not only bringing back these horrible illness' but turning them into superbugs.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wouldn't superbugs be bugs that mutated due to becoming resilient to things like vaccinations and antibiotics?

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
EstherChilds
Registered Users

My son has autism and did not exhibit any symptoms until he was over two and had the normal run of vaxing. I can accept that it's a combination of a genetic disposition to autism that is 'set off' by something in vaxing. Therimisol? Aluminum? Where are the stats on autism in a religious community where they do not vax? I have a 6 month old grand daughter and I am relieved that her Mom has chosen to delay vaxing. I can't be sure about the link but given that we already have autism in the family I think it is a wise decision. In the end we can always find the research that supports us-no matter what side of the fence we are on. It's just difficult when you are on the fence to decide which research you want to accept. Funny thing science is - not so factual after all!
EstherChilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I don't doubt at all that there is a very strong genetic component to autism. I think it definitely runs in families. But I firmly believe that some kids have a genetic predeposition to autism that can be triggered by vaccines.
For example, some parents have found chelation therapy to be effective in improving autistic behaviors. Chelation therapy is used to remove heavy metals from the body. Some children with autism have crazy high levels of mercury in their systems and once it's out, their condition improves. Why doesn't their body get rid of it on its own? Some genetic quirk or defect, IMO. But you don't know it's your kid until they overload.

I'm sorry, but I've read way too much to believe that just because there are no immediate (and sometimes there are) reactions to vaccines, that they are safe in the long run, especially in the quantities we inject into children. There are studies linking vaccines and all sorts of auto-immune diseases like diabetes, asthma, etc. Note those are auto-immune diseases and it's the immune system we're screwing with. I don't think that's a coincidence.

For what it's worth, I do believe that vaccines have their place. I've traveled out of the country as an adult and gotten the necessary vaccines and would do it again. But the current CDC recommended immunization schedule for infants and children is out of control and dangerous, IMO. These are tiny, developing body that we inject toxins into, and someone wants to convince me they are 100% safe with no long-term side-effects? I'm sorry, but you can't tell me we know enough about the human body and how it reacts to the ingredients in vaccines when study after study is showing that perhaps it is dangerous. Sure, it may not be dangerous for every kid. I got my handful of vaccines and did just fine. But who's to say my child doesn't have some sort of genetic tendency that would make him prone to a serious or deadly reaction?

There may not be one giant study that proves or disproves a vaccine/autism link, but there is enough research out there that someone ought to be seriously questioning things and looking at re-doing the child vaccination schedule.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote