Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #1
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

What did you do with #1 while #2 was being born?

How's that for a nice long title. I'm a little embarassed to admit that this is thing i'm worrying most about this pregnancy.

DH's parents live here, so I've kinda been working on the assumption that we'll have them take care of DD while we're having the baby (or at least while both DH and I are busy with labor and delivery). I know you can only plan ahead so much since it's all rather unpredictable (night, day, day of the week, etc.) and I've got a while to work out some contingencies too.

Anyway, anyone have any stories or advice about managing the "hand-off" so to speak?

Thanks!
Katie

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What did you do with #1 while #2 was being born?

My dh's parents live near us too but we planned to have my mom fly in from GA to watch ds#1 while I was having ds#2. It was suppose to be a planned csection however ds#2 decided that wasn't when he wanted to be born. We had him 2 weeks early when my water broke at 9pm on a Sunday night and my mom wasn't suppose to be in for another week and a half (ds#1 was 4 days late so we didn't think ds#2 was coming early!!) We had dh's parents meet us at the hospital and take ds#1 for the rest of the night. Since I was in for 3 nights the second night the boys god mother stayed at our house and watched ds#1 and the third night he was in the hospital with us (just for the night). Wasn't ideal but it worked. We made sure we had backup people just in case my mom wasn't here yet. Don't know if my story helps but just wanted to share what we did.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

my mom took care of ds while dh was with me. as soon as dh was done "helping" me and dd was born he went to pick up ds.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been wondering about this a lot... especially since DH's mom will be about 45 minutes south of the hospital we'll be delivering at, and we're 45 minutes west of it, so it would be terribly inconvenient to stop "on the way". Last time, I was induced so we were able to drop off our dog at MIL's on my way... but she also actually lived on the way to the hospital then, too. She's moving in April. I told DH we'll just have to have whomever is on call to watch DD come to the hospital and meet us there...
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Mommyof2Princesses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: What did you do with #1 while #2 was being born?

We flew my mom in for dc2 birth and with dc 3, dc1 went to stay with my brother and his family for the week. She loved spending so much time with her cousins!!!!!
Good luck!!!
Mommyof2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

we desperately looked for a sitter (had JUST moved back here, so knew no one) first lady we interviewed seemed GREAT! so it was set, but then turns out MIL ended up here before Gavin decided to come out, so they all waited at the hospital
Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How wonderful that you have family nearby. We had a plan and a backup plan with two different friends/neighbors but at the time our #2 decided to make his arrival (2AM), both plans fell through. Fortunately, we had another friend we could call (who are on a late night schedule anyhow). We dropped #1 off on our way and headed to the birthing center. Being so late, #1 handled the transition from our home to theirs pretty well. She was also very familiar with them so that helped too.
I guess my only advice from our experience would be to have a plan A, B, C and maybe D.
Congratulations and good luck!
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdlane View Post
my mom took care of ds while dh was with me. as soon as dh was done "helping" me and dd was born he went to pick up ds.
thats what my DH did. He didn't stay the night w/ me which I didn't mind b/c Lily and I bonded and him and Luke had some time together before the baby came. My parents took care my my DS during the day though
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Well, whatever you do make sure you get it worked out before the birth (and more than a week ahead of time LOL)

When #2 was born my FIL took the day off and watched #1 (so I could have MIL with me). This time around I assumed the same would happen. FIL would take #1 and #2 and all would be good, he has a weak stomach anyways so he wasnt going to be in the room. WELL......they had different plans. They offered to take #1 but didnt want #2. I found this out like the day before I had #3. So here I am freaking out wondering WTH #2 is going to do. In the end, I remembered that my friends were coming over from a nearby town. I asked one of them to watch the kids for me. So, she took them to mcdonalds to play for a while, and played in the pediatric unit playroom. Right before delivery my FIL took both kids and went back to the playroom so my friend could be there while I delivered. (although i dont REMEMBER her there. We were watching the video and I said "Kayce was holding my leg?!" LOL)

Anyways, it was WAY stressful to find out that what I had been counting on my entire pregnancy fell through.....but, its my own fault for not talking about it before hand.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Oh and yeah, dh didnt stay the night with me. He never has. He typically leaves for the night around 7ish and comes back the following morning so hes able to take the kids at night.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote