Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
My Mood:
Re: What did you do with #1 while #2 was being born?

When I had Fox, my parents just lived next after laboring all night at home, about 5 am we took her over there in her jammies wrapped up in a blanket lol

This time.....I don't know. My parents moved to MT. They do plan on being here, but I don't know if its feasible for them to be here for the birth....or just after. We'll just have to see. The hospital we'll be going to is about a hour away, and the ILs are on the way...sorta, so that might work out.

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
Registered Users
Smile Re: What did you do with #1 while #2 was being born?

Well, when #2 was born DS was with my sister because I wanted my Mom there too (DD was 9 weeks early-scary) When DS3 was born, my mom and sister were watching DS1 &DD2, and with DD4, my Mom came over to watch the 3 older ones. It was a BIG treat for them and they were so excited to have Gma over. My DH usually went home when we were settled for the night because our hospital doesn't have comfortable accomidations for DH's, plus they won't let them shower there.
I am due in DEC and my Mom is always on "stand by" and tries to keep her cell phone on and the people at work know that she can need to leave at any minute. If there was ever a situation where my Mom or sister weren't available I really wouldn't be too bothered by DH taking care of the kids. It is nice to have him there, but I know I could do it if he needed to care for our other children.
I would definately NOT want the kids present because it can cause serious distress to see Mom in pain as well as the chance that something could go wrong. I realize that labor is a natural part of life and I am not meaning to offend people that choose to have "family" births. I just don't feel that it would be in the best interest of my kids.

sharebear2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
My Mood:

with ds#2 dd1 and ds1 went to my best friend's house.

with my 3rd delivery my mil came and stayed a few days and with my 4th delivery my bil was here with the kids.

This time if my mil does not come my friend from church said she was moving in for a week! lol we will have to see...this time we have 7 at home so....I really do not want to farm them out ya know...1 or 2 here and so on...ack!! lol
~Lauri~ Mama of 8 blessings~ wife to Grady~

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #14
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
My Mood:

I've been kinda wondering this myself (not that I have to worry about it anytime soon! lol) We're planning another UC (although I ended up in the hospital with DS, so goddess only knows what'll happen this time). I'd like to have DS be able to be there if he wants. It's actually very important to have him there, but I also know that children have short attention spans and if he gets bored, I want someone to be able to watch after him. But then, none of our family really knows that we're doing a UC, and my MIL would probably be the closest to being okay with it, but she lives 2 hours away. I don't want anybody that's going to bring negativity about the situation in my house, so I'm not really sure what in the world we're going to do. Guess it's good that we've got a LONG time to think about it! lol
Tiffani wife of Wes 11/16/02, Partner of Jamie and David
SAHM to Xander 4/5/06, Jaime 1/20/09,
and Malcolm 11/15/10
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
My Mood:

DH's mom watched our kiddos while I had ds#3. She came to our house and watched dd and ds#2 while ds#1 was at school. I missed his kindergarten graduation because I went into labor! and then they fed the kiddos dinner and brought them up to the hospital afterwards! Then I missed his T-ball ceremonies and him getting picked for all-stars too! DH made it to that since he was the coach! Can't plan everything I guess!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

When we had #2 my MIL watched him. When we had #3 (MIL wasn't around anymore), I went into labor in the middle of the night, so my mom came over and stayed with the boys - she ended up missing the birth cause my dad said "you don't need to go yet, she's not gonna have the baby that soon". When we had #4, my mom was here to look after the boys and we had a homebirth. They ended up being out of the house while she was born cause my mom was afraid the boys were upset by the noise I made (they were ok, they'd been prepared) and took them for a walk. The only "noise I made" was while I was pushing.
~Megan~ On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.
Wife to 1 "People want the truth but never want the scars.." Emery
Mama to.. too many to list!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #17
loulou belle
Registered Users
My Mood:

We are in denial. Somehow this will work. Somehow. Both sets of parents live 9-10 hours away. They are our closest family members. I would not leave her with one set anyway. We have not even discussed it. Six months and counting to d-day, and we have nothing planned for our 4 year old. She cannot be at the hospital during delivery. We have never had a babysitter, so hhmmm, Denial.
loulou belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have been totally worrying about this too.

We are due in 4 weeks and we live no where near both of our families. DH's parents live 2.5 hours away.

My parents live 9 hours away. All other relatives are the same or more away.

My friend who lived across the street from the hospital who was our emergency contact has recently moved 2.5-3 hours away also.

We don't have a baby sitter and I honestly am not up for trying to find one right now, plus DD has never been to a baby sitter so I'm not up for that worry while I am giving birth.

My MIL is our contact for when anything happens but she is 2.5 hours away so she probably won't make it for the birth since DD was only 2 hours from start to finish.

We are thinking of asking our Chaplain who we have known forever and who is like family basically, she is also an insomniac and is up all hours so we figure she is perfect. LOL We just don't like to impose on people KWIM??

So plan is we call MIL right away before heading to the hospital. We have a bag all set up for DD also with stuff for her to be kept busy etc.

DH will bring us all to the hospital. If we decide to ask Melinda, our Chaplain, then hopefully she will be able to be there to kind of occupy DD in the waiting area. Otherwise DD will either be in my room, which I would rather not, or DH will be in the waiting room with DD which I also would rather not I want him with me, he's my support person.

I wonder if it's too late to get a doula??

Probably. Oh well.

Guess I should get ready for the idea that I could be going it alone.
Amy CDing, BWing Bfing Mama to Anastasia 08/04/05 Ephraim 11/12/06
Trying to convince DH to have another baby or TWO!
GoddessWifeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

My mom was in town a couple of days before I went into labor. We ended up going to the hospital around 5am, so ds1 was still asleep...he stayed there (our house) with my mom. MIL went over and packed a bag for us (I was rushed and in denial, didn't pack very well)..and then we kept them updated and wanted them to wait sa long as they could before coming, but still be there for the birth...19 month old doesn't have a lot to do (except get in trouble) at a hospital. Anyway, we finally let them know it was time to come on and they got there about 5 mins after the birth Eventually, MIL took my mom and ds1 back to our house and there they stayed...we were discharged a little more than 24 hrs after ds2's birth.
Jenelle SAHM to Kain (01/27/04) Drake (08/22/05)
~*55 lbs lost, 25 to go!*~
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
My Mood:

My MIL came to pick up DS (slowly i may add, I could've had dd in my livingroom! lol) and took him to her house. DH stayed the night in the hospital w/ me and then the day mil and fil came to the hospital w/ ds and saw the baby, and then dh went home w/ them and took Nick back to our house, and then back to mil's in the morning to come get me when i was released. MIL brought ds to our house for us so we didnt have to stop to get him.
Rhiana-mom of 4. Emmaleigh Claire 8-7-09 Baby BOY Ryan James 3-15-13
MommaRhi is offline   Reply With Quote