Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #11
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circ'ing questions. One ds but not the other?? Advice please!

Hi mama - I haven't read all of the pp's, but I say it is OK to have this baby uncircumcised - if that is what you want to do, I say go for it. I am sorry you feel you made the wrong decision to circ your first 2 boys, but be kind to yourself, you only did what you knew at the time

Tara

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #12
whitecalx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't. When you know more you can make a more informed choice.

The parents I know in your situation report that its not a big deal between their boys. They might notice and the worst of it is just explaining (simply, "when you were born we thought this is what we should do but when X was born we learned that we shouldn't").

Its certainly a tricky decision to make but I don't think its fair to your youngest to have surgery and be altered just to be like his brothers.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, I hope it goes smoothly!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I am in the same boat as you mama! My DH and my DS1 are circ'd without any problems, however I still don't want to do an unnecessary surgery to him, back then it was all I knew, and everyone around me did it...now I know better and now I won't do that to my baby...he is going to be born with foreskin for a reason, and he's going to be born perfect, no need for alterations and cosmetic surgeries. When he's old enough to choose, he can choose himself to get circ'd...but I don't want to take away a choice from him. When our boys ask about it, we're going to be truthful and tell him how we spared him a cosmetic surgery that is no longer recommended and used to be when daddy and your brother were little...and besides no 2 males look alike anyway...I guarantee you they won't care if you say "daddy has brown hair, and you have blonde, daddy has brown eyes and you have blue, you have curly hair, daddy has straight, etc" I could go on and on, but there will be tons and tons of differences in your kids and their dad, and you can teach them to embrace differences and teach them how wonderful it is to be yourself.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #14
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

We were in the same boat as well with our new little one.
Here's the thread I had about it back in April...it may help you as well

We too decided NO on the second DS as we feel it is his choice!
And be careful of those pesky pediatricians who still try to get you to do it!! [hence a thread I had a few days ago about this!]...

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=386664
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

One of my boys is circ'd and 2 aren't. Same as you, we didn't know with our first son. I don't think it would be unfair at all of you to not circ this baby. I don't think you should if you'd only do it for cosmetic reasons, kwim?

tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
wear_your_baby
Registered Users
seller

I think your momma gut is telling you what to do already. I haven't read the other responses b/c I"m in a hurry, but this is one of those topics dear to me. I, like you, made a decision with DS1 that I regret to this day. Now that I know better, I couldn't do the same thing to another DS, especially for the cause of having them all "the same." I kinda feel like the best I can do is make sure not to allow it to ever happen again, at this point. I hope this makes sense.
wear_your_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
acjlnmom
Registered Users

My response to them would be to ask them why your childrens' penis is of their concern. Seriously. Why do they care? Are they changing them? Are they taking your older son to a urologist and paying for it? Until they are, then they need to keep their thoughts to their self.
acjlnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #18
gogokim
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Hope the appt went well for your son
Old 07-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us, I will let DH make the decision. I am on the fence about it, so it will be up to him. Right now, his decision is to circ, but he obviously didn't think about it too much because we had a girl.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #20
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

I live in a country where people go regularly to the sauna and walk around naked, and I think the idea of people commenting on your son's penis is ridiculous. My DH had to be circ'd as a child after developing phimosis (foreskin doesn't retract and can interfere with peeing). His younger brother is not circ'd and I've never heard of them comparing.

If you do decide to circ, I'd recommend making sure as little as possible of the foreskin is cut. This is the technique used in Europe for medically indicated foreskin cutting. It is called preputioplasty. Your son would have a semi-exposed glans and therefore "look-like" most of his peers, but enough skin is left intact that you son would be less likely to experience painful erections as he gets older.
"Advantages claimed for preputioplasty are more rapid, less painful recovery, significantly less morbidity, and preservation of the foreskin and its various protective, erogenous, and sexual physiologic functions" from cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/
see also:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preputioplasty