Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Red face Ok, I admit I need nap/sleep time help.....

This will be short because I need to go to bed after spending 2.5 hrs trying to put dd to sleep.....Oy

The only way I can get Lacie to sleep is wrapping her up and walking around my house like a crazy nut. 1.5 mos ago right before she broke her first tooth, she stopped nursing down. !!! Just like cold turkey, stopped. Has anyone elses lo done this before?
So our naptime/nightime sleep goes something like this.... me walking around like a crazy nut for about 15mins to sometimes forever and then putting her in our bed, laying next to her for a few more minutes while she quickly nurses before she wakes up realizing she's not longer on me anymore.

ETA: dd will not take a paci either just for any reference

Yea I know... pathetic ? Or is it just me? Am I the only one doing a song and dance to get my child to sleep??? I will not do CIO. And I do believe that a child needs a certain amount of "parenting" to sleep... but am I going too far? The past couple nights have been rough because she has been sick, when I have a couple rough nights in a row it seems never ending. But I must admit, there are days when wearing her to sleep is the biggest life saver.

So anyway, this wasn't really that short was it? Please give me advice on what helped you or maybe if you can just relate and make me feel better. Off to bed but will check replies in the am!

Advertisement

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!

Last edited by slaferriere@berklee.net; 07-11-2008 at 12:43 AM.
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, I admit I need nap/sleep time help.....

I think it's only a problem is it's a problem for you. DS1 never really liked to be worn (just HELD all the time) and DS2 hasn't warmed up to it quite yet either. Months and months ago, I remember holding DS1 and playing Dolly Parton "Coat of Many Colors" and singing it to him, and he loved it. He'd wait until almost the end before he finally fell asleep. That only lasted about a week though. We always had problems getting him down.
I really don't have much advice, just wanted to say that you do what you need to, and what's ok for YOU and it'll all work out. Hugs mama!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love routine, routine, routine, which was hard for us bc DH and I are not v. disciplined ourselves. They get used to the same order of things every night: dinner, bath, milk/story, teeth brushed, bed.

We did the rocking thing which worked wonders - we would play a soft music CD from the start, I put a little blanket on my shoulder and would rock DS to sleep. Once that stopped working, we did let him cry a little in bed but we were consistent every night. We also did the Baby Whisperer thing but that didnt always work - that's where u keep going back in, putting them back down, or soothing, then leaving. - u do it up to 100x or more - then gradually, they dont need u to do it as much. I've also heard of staying by the crib, not holding them, then moving to sitting near, then near the door, then walking out of the room, moving to a new stage every few nights, but this didnt work for us.

Every child is different. It's hard to know if they really need the comfort or are just trying to see how far you'll go.

It really depends on how much patience you have. I do agree that CIO does not always feel like the best option, but you also have to decide when to let them start learning to comfort themselves. I believe it is a step up of independence. Does your child have a lovie? Some kind of animal or blanket that they love to hold?? U can choose one and use that every time u put them to bed, too.

HTH
Old 07-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegyrl View Post
I do agree that CIO does not always feel like the best option, but you also have to decide when to let them start learning to comfort themselves. I believe it is a step up of independence. Does your child have a lovie? Some kind of animal or blanket that they love to hold??

HTH
What age do you think they are ready to start learning to comfort themselves? Or rather - what age did your children learn to comfort themselves.

She doesn't have a "lovie" .... maybe the wrap? That's her lovie at this point. lol. She's never slept in her crib alone so I guess she never had a reason to have one?

Maybe I do need to be more serious about consistency/routine. I guess the older she is getting, the more active her mind is becoming and she's harder to settle.

Anyone else?

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

about a month or so ago, I'd had enough. I was so sleep deprived, I couldn't handle it, she would nurse to sleep, then wake up every hour to nurse. Every single hour. So, I made a point of bedtime being bedtime. I didn't care how long she laid awake, as long as she stayed laying down. For a while I had to stand next to her crib and hold her down, while gently rocking her a little or patting her back, side, belly, whichever way she was laying. The big change came when I tried white noise. At first I used a fan and a lullaby cd, but we burnt out the cd player after about 4 nights and the fan works well alone. She likes me to stay in the room with her until she is asleep. I think this comes from so much time co-sleeping, and I kinda like it too, I miss her sleeping with me. At first I stood, then sat on the floor, next to her crib. Now most nights I can sit in the rocker, though tonight I laid on the floor next to her crib. I stopped nursing her before at least 4 hours had passed. Now she goes to bed about 9 and wakes up about 3 for a quick nursing and back to sleep until 5 or 6. She nurses a lot between then and 9 am, but stays asleep much of the time she is nursing.
One of the things I had read was that I was leaving her until she was over tired, now I try to get her ready for bed about 8 and then have some wind down time in her room, with the lights off, and read or play with toys a bit, nurse as much as she wants, and when she gets sleepy, she will nurse well then pop off, get rocked a minute or so and laid in her crib to fall asleep in there instead of at my breast. ( which I miss) Once I was consistent, I saw a difference in only a few days.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegyrl View Post

I do agree that CIO does not always feel like the best option, but you also have to decide when to let them start learning to comfort themselves. I believe it is a step up of independence. Does your child have a lovie? Some kind of animal or blanket that they love to hold?? U can choose one and use that every time u put them to bed, too.

HTH
I also don't like CIO for sleeping.(though I use it for temper tantrums) It just doesn't feel right. I've noticed in the last little while that she has started to soothe herself to sleep, without crying, by scratching the mattress or laying on her tummy and "humping" (for lack of better description) so I can see with her that learning how to comfort themselves can come without feeling desperate/scared/alone or any other negative emotion that I worry might be felt during CIO at night.