Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Starting Solids... How old?

Our Dr is pushing us to start solids. DS is only 4 months. My daughter couldn't nurse so I pumped with her for 6 months before switching to formula. But this little guy and I have a lovely nursing relationship. I want him to be my baby forever but know he needs to be allowed to grow up. How old should babies be when you start solids? DS is also sensitive to milk and soy protiens (I can't have any or he gets a terrible tummy ache, gas, vomiting, and diarhea) so I'm nervous to introduce new foods and have him react poorly. What do you guys think? HELP!

Advertisement

keikiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Starting Solids... How old?

Is your ds underweight that they want him start solids? My ds just had his 4 mo check and they don't want to start solids till at least 6 months! My ped said parents nowadays are way to anxious to start solids.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He was a 6 week early preemie but was 5 lbs 15 oz when born (5th%) and at the 4 month check up he was 13.5 lbs and 25.5 inches (25-50th%). So his growth is fine and belive me the kiddo has filled out! He wears 3-6 M clothes so I think he's normal. I would think b/c he was a preemie and has known sensitivies that they would tell us to wait on the solids. I'm so sick of Drs thinking every baby is made with the same mold. Not to mention all the RX happy Drs out there. I'd rather things just be natural as God intended and to go with the flow of my baby. Who in my opinion isn't anywhere near ready for solids. I should follow my "mommy insticts" right? Doesn't Mom know best anymore?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Sounds like he is doing great to me! My ds just turned 4 months on Sept. 19 and he was 13.7 and 26 1/2 inches long (he was on time and weighed 8.4 and 21 inches). I would definitely say follow your mommy instincts! If he does not act like he is hungry after you BF him than I would say he doesn't need anything more! I know my ds does not act like he is anywhere near ready for solids so I am not even going to think about it anymore until he is at least 6 months. If he still doesn't act like it then we will prolong it even more!

You are doing what is best for you and your baby! Do what you think is right for your ds and don't let your doc talk you into something you don't think ds is ready for!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
shell015
Banned
seller

My son was a preemie too. He is 4 months and the ped said to start them. We are FF because my milk didn't come in... So we have done it. I give him 1 jar per day and the rest formula. It is working great for us.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

I think you should wait until he seems ready, esp since you are breastfeeding. The recommendation is no solids before 6 months anyway.

doctors really push solids too early I think. Viktor's pediatrician bugged me about it at his four month visit and DS just didn't seem ready yet. So I waited. And then at his six month visit he told me he should be eating 3 times a day and he should have had meat by now!!! He's just barely gotten started with his fruits and veggies and I'm in no hurry.

go with your gut, DS let me know when he wanted solid foods. My mother was with me when he took his first bite and she was amazed at how readily he went after it. She said that with my brother and I she started solids at 3 months and we just spit it out, and it was a struggle to feed us in the beginning.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd wait... we had started solids (just cereal) at 4 months because DS would practically hop up and down when he saw us eating. But a few months later he was still only eating one little "meal" a day. When his pedi asked us how much he ate a day she said "well, really we try to go for 3 meals a day but if he's gaining its no big deal. Solids before 12m are just for practice anyway".
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mommy DOES know best. You kow your kid better than anyone. DD#1 was EBF until 10 months, DD#2 (now 3 1/2 months) just started ceral in her bottle last week. Each baby is different. Do what feels right. As long as DC is thriving, you aren't doing anything wrong.
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Definitely not before six months. Btw my FIL is a doc and would likely say that your doc is off his/her rocker for pushing so early.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I'm not a super over protective mama (just a little bit)! Thanks for all the tips, comments, advice, and thoughts! I think I'll wait until I feel like DS is hungry after nursing or is much closer to 6 months. The Dr can bite me!