Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
VeryChicBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: jenny342
seller

My Mood:
Need advice - and fast!!!

Hubby's family is having a "meet the baby" thing tonight. UGH! I am so nervous. What do I say to the people that want to pass the baby? I just do not do that & have not put myself into this type of position before. What about if my MIL takes him from me & tries to pass him off to strangers (strangers to me & to him). I don't care if people think I am overprotective but don't want to be considered a bi$#h... Ya know? HELP!!

Advertisement

Jenny, Mama to many, 16, 14, 11, & 3 & & 10 mth baby girl!!

~Custom Recycled Wool Shoes ~ & Leather, OBV & Fabric Soft Soles

VeryChicBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need advice - and fast!!!

Are you not comfortable with anyone holding him besides your immediate family?

I think at 2 months old, it's would be okay to just ask the guests to wash their hands and to refrain from touching his face, kissing him, or letting him put his hands in his mouth.

People are definitely going to come to a "Meet the Baby" expecting to get to hold the baby.

If it will be around time for him to eat, you can always spend a good bit of time feeding him (just say that you need to do it, if you aren't BFing).

You can wear him in a sling & make sure he's sound asleep, so they won't want to bother him.

Also, if there are certain people you are uncomfortable with just talk to MIL before hand if you have a decent relationship or get DH to do it. That's always a good time to need to change a diaper too, if someone is making you uncomfortable.

Last edited by TeachinAuntie; 07-11-2008 at 01:21 PM.
TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So you are going to a meet the baby party where you don't want anyone to get to hold the baby?

I think your best bet is to tell people the baby is sick or something. If they buy that they may be ok with not passing him around. Or if you could find some way to make them believe your pediatrician told you not to let people hold him?

If you just say you don't want new people holding him you won't come off well.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmm, yeah most people are going to expect to get to hold the baby at a "meet the baby" party. Why exactly don't you want to? Maybe that can help us give you some ideas or polite ways to word your request?
You may strive to be like them but seek not to make them like you."
-- Kahlil Gibran
aidensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
LittleB'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree...wear him. I wear DD anytime I am at something lke that. I'm alot like you in not wanting a bunch of strangers passing my baby around. And due to health issues I tell my MIL to sit in a chair to hold DD...I don't trust her walking around holding DD...
At my baby shower I brought DD's playyard and when she fell asleep after her feeding (at the beginning of the shower), I put her in that and made an announcement that she was sleeping and to please not bother her. If there was time after she woke up, I would bring her around to meet everyone. Everyone respected that and, well DD slept through the whole thing! Most of those people I have yet to see again so obviously they really don't care to meet DD! I think most people respect sleeping babies...I also joke that if she gets woke up before she should, they have to deal with a grouchy mama!!

Good luck mama ....I'm sure it will be fine...sending for you though!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
clothdipemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know this did and would make me nervous too. Just make sure people are washing there hands or have hand sanitizer ready for them. I would also make sure everyone that you feel comfortable with knows how you feel so they can be your support system..

I liked the idea of feeding the baby. That's what I did when we had our party. Go into another room and feed the baby and change the baby so you can have your 100% safe time. Stretch it out for 30 min.

My baby slept the entire time at her party, so maybe your baby will too. If so, maybe lie the baby down in a quiet room by itself, people will understand! Or wear the little one, I agree with that too!
Good Luck Mama and Congrats on the new little one!

Last edited by clothdipemama; 07-11-2008 at 01:37 PM.
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
VeryChicBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I know what you are saying. The thing is its a drinking style party and I am sure you can all understand why I would be uncomfortable with someone that has been drinking holding my lo. I dislike these types of things and was not comfortable having it anyways. This is not my first rodeo. He is my 4th child after all. I just know its going to be a long long night for me if he gets passed around to 100 different well wishers this evening. I am planning to take my babyhawk tonight. I am sure I will end up nursing him for a good part of the time... Just not the kind of mama that enjoys passing off my lo...

Old 07-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I've never had a drink of alcohol--but my grandmother and all of her friends like to DRINK when they get together. Poor Grandma is already 84 and pretty woobly... so the rule was, if you wanted to hold the baby: a) wash your hands and b) you MUST remain sitting.

I can't help what people want to drink--but of course, our children's safety is first. I hope it goes okay for you.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
NCMommy119
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck. If you feel really uncomfy throw it back on your ped. "Ped said it's not okay". Some people won't want to respect that though so idk..It could go either way.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
VeryChicBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You guys are so much like me - idk either.. but it helps to have support! I am just going to say the handwash thing - I think it will throw people off and if they really want to hold him that will show.. I just hate when peeps pass around babies & claim they are fussy because you nurse (which all these people think is ridiculous) or try to shove a paci in him.. Or worse, attempt to feed him tablescraps or some of their "tea" or "soda".. UGH!
Thanks for the advice girls - it helped!