Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:
What's wrong with DS? (with a WWYD at the end)

So last Thursday (7/3), DS came home from school with a fever. He was complaining of his mouth hurting the night before, but wouldn't let us look.

Friday, still feverish (100-101).

Saturday, he let us look in his mouth-full of ulcers. We immediately thought hand foot and mouth (he's had it before).

Sunday, he spent all day throwing up. He couldn't keep anything down-not even water.

Monday, still acted sick (laying around, sleeping a lot), wouldn't eat (just drank yogurt).

Tuesday, fever came back. Took him to the doc. Had to see nurse practitioner because doc was out. She said the ulcers didn't look like HFM-just regular ulcers that appear for no reason. Puking and fever was probably a virus, but it was gone. That night, DH and I got fast food and DS wanted a few fries. I know, horrible choice, but he hadn't eaten in 2 days and finally had an appetite. He had mayve 10-15 fries. Threw up on the rest of them

Wednesday, ate normal (but bland) food, no fever, no puking.

Thursday-went back to school. Acted tired that night, but no fever, no puking.

Today-went to school. I went early to take cupcakes for DD's birthday and he had just woken up from nap. He wouldn't even get up. Teachers said he wasn't himself yesterday or today. He didn't even want a cupcake at first, but then decided to eat the icing off one (a mini one). Then he asked to go home. So I took him home with me and he just cried and said his belly hurt all night. He had a couple crackers for dinner, but wouldn't eat anything else. He had a low-grade fever.

Just now-puked 4 times. WTH?!? I thought he was getting better. What now? Do I take him back to the doc tomorrow? Do I assume it's a virus (that lasts over a week!) and let it run its course? DH is really worried that it's something serious. DS hasn't acted like this before. He just wants me to hold him all the time. He's normally running everywhere. Did he get reinfected at school? Ugh.

Here's the kicker-tomorrow is DD's birthday party. We were going to cancel it, then he seemed to be getting better, so we told everyone it was still on. We've gotten all the food, the cake is made (by my SIL, who is a professional, so it's like a $200 cake), the balloons are blown up. Do we cancel now?? Or just make it a quick thing and ask everyone to leave if he gets sick? The party is 15-20 people (just family) and it's at our house. What do I do??

Advertisement

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's wrong with DS? (with a WWYD at the end)

Oh, and this may be nothing, but he's been really sensitive to light the past week. He wants it dark and cries if we turn on the light (I've gotten good at changing his diaper in the dark!).

Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Oh poor little guy!!!!!!!!

I would cancel. If it's just family, they will understand. I'm so sorry.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've really been through the ringer with him-between Sept of last year and Jan of this year, he had strep 6 times, pneumonia, bronchitis, a febrile seizure, and a tonsillectomy/adnoidectomy. But he hasn't been sick since then except a 24-hour flu in March. I just hate seeing him so sick again.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Man that is rough! Sounds like you are going back to the doc! I have heard great things about acupuncture (no needles on the little ones) for tummy stuff, but in the meantime he probably needs to be seen by the doc. maybe you could call and sound really upset and get him in before the party?? I hate to say it, but maybe one of you could man the party and the other take him in so DD doesn't miss out? Then again they are family and probably don't want to get exposed...but if you are not catching it maybe it is ok. Tough one!

Last edited by jewelzbird; 07-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
jewelzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's a tough one..i'm sorry he's so sick :hug: Your family might not want to come to your house if they know he's been sick or is still sick, they might fear it's contagious or something. Is the party outside? If you really want to have the party you could keep him quarantined and have you or your DH stay with him.
Or you could cancel and just have a small celebration since you've already got the food/cake.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would cancel the party Poor baby, I hope he feels better soon
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, that sucks. I'm so sorry. We just got home with DS after a three-day hospitalization for pneumonia. I would definitely take DS back to the doctor tomorrow (or to emerg tonight, if he seems to be getting worse.) And if possible, I'd try to do so before DDs party. That might give you a better idea of what you're dealing with and if you should cancel the party or not.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, the doc is open 9-12 and the party is at 3, so I guess I'll do that. I specifically asked on Tuesday if she felt he was contagious and she said no (I'd never send a contagious sick kid to daycare). I also don't want to infect my nieces/nephews (1yo, 3yo, 9yo) or my family. Ugh. This sucks.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

What is with the sensitivity to light? So strange! Does he complain of headaches?
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote