Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #101
melodyjstray
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestlyn View Post
I chop mine into the smallest bits I can with a knife and use my coffee grinder. Works great! And it washes up really clean and shiny
Does the soap "taste" completely come off when you do it this way? I am afraid that it would leach into the plastic of my coffee grinder (or food processor) and I would have soapy-tasting coffee...

Advertisement

Wife of Chris, mama to Evangeline (7/8/07), Cana (7/3/09), and Ruby Rae (6/25/11), follower of Jesus of Nazareth. Get free amazon gift cards: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melodyjstray Read my pointless ponderings: www.soggymama.blogspot.com
melodyjstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #102
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

I haven't had any problems!

It only takes a minute or two to pulverize the soap and then I wash any residue off with dish detergent and it's all ready to go!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #103
Arkaidy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2olivia1 View Post
personally i don't use pockets or aio's, but i would then think that my covers which are pul as well as procare (in some cases) shouldn't use this then....I want to be sure i am using ingredients that will be the most natural, green, yet be as clean as possible. I DO feel like I am in chemistry class for sure.

AAAHHHHHHH!!! Lol, this will be the third time I say it in htis thread. This recipe does not call for soap so your PUL will not get a residue buildup!

And also to everyone else. I have washed a few loads of regular laundry (including DH's "smell you from a mile away" work clothes) and it's great. His clothes especially smell SOOOO much better. He's a cook and seriously I want to puke when he walks in the door, lol. He smells like a rotten mop bucket

Also, we washed our first load of diapers in this, and they smell GREAT!!!!!!! We'll see if they reek after she pees in it but I'm super optimistic.

Veggie lovin', cloth diapering, semi-vaxing, babywearin', co-sleeping, extended bfing, extended rear-facing, non spanking, no CIO EVER kinda family with lot's of fuzzy luvies.
And expecting #2!! ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35** **40
Arkaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #104
evelynsmom07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm really excited to try this! I'm going to go get everything this weekend! sounds like I need borax, washing soda, oxyclean, and dr bronners to make both of the soaps right?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #105
brandislee
Registered Users
seller

Haha, I was sitting at the table grating my Dr. Bronner's the other day with my grater (PS, so using the food processor next time- ended up finishing with it anyway) and my hubby was like "are you going to use that for food, too?" (the grater). I was just like "dude, it's just soap, it'll wash off!" Men.
brandislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #106
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Sara...yup, that's all you need!

I just made up a triple batch this morning to give to a friend and it took all of 10 minutes to make and package!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #107
KaiyaSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMoose View Post
I found the first recipe online and tweaked it to make it more gentle, and then created the second recipe especially for cloth diapers!

I have been using both recipes for 2 months now with great success, so I thought I'd share them here!

Use amounts will vary depending on your water....I have a top loader and hard water.....you might require more or less to effectively clean!

Super Gentle Homemade Laundry Soap

1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 bar Kirks Castile Soap
I've tried this one a couple times before. Found it on a blog. I used Ivory soap instead though since I had it on hand but don't use it on my skin anymore. I shredded the soap in my food processor and then added the other ingredients and pulsed it all until it was well blended. I put it in a big jar and sprinkled some EOs and shook it up. It worked ok for us, but I was always unsure of how much to use. I have seen other recipes out there that call for more soap so maybe that would do better for us. I did use it on diapers and it was just ok. I think that so much has to do with your water situation. My other issue is that I wash everything execept dipes on cold and I found I had to predissolve it in really hot water first or it would leave powder on my clothes. I know there is a liquid recipe too, but I don't have anywhere safe to store it. So we are on to testing soap nuts now. LOL

It sure is fun (and cheap) to make your own laundry soap! I'll be watching this thread. Maybe I'll give it another shot later.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #108
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Kaiya...I've noticed that if these recipes aren't working great for people, it's usually a problem with the soap they used or the amount they washed with.

If you're going to give it another go, you might have better luck switching to a castile soap (kirks or dr bronners) and using 2 tbls in a front loader or 3-4 tablespoons in a top loader.

You'd still have to dissolve the powder to use with cold water, but it's worth the little inconvienence to me, since I love the recipe so much!

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 08-01-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: fixing 8am grammar issues :)
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 AM   #109
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

BTW....this thread has gotten me interested in Dr Bronners and I noticed that the online price is $3/bar! I can get a 3-pack of Kirk's for that price, so I'm wondering what all you "Dr Bronner's lovers" pay for one bar?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #110
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

If you have tried this recipe and it worked well for you.....

...please let us know what kind of diapers you washed, how much detergent you used, your washer type, and your water type!

I wash prefolds, MF inserts, microfiber towels, pul covers, bumgenius, fuzzi bunz, and happy heiny one size in 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of detergent in a top loader, with super hard water.

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 08-01-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: to get your attention :)
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote