Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #201
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

Oh, before anyone gets too excited, you should know that "a load" of detergent is always the smallest load, so it's 4 cents for a small load and as much as 20 cents for a large load of really dirty clothes/diapers.

Of course Tide is 18 cents for a small load and 36 cents for a large load....if you buy in bulk and on sale...so it's still a lot cheaper to make your own!

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #202
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Important note....

I just realized that I've been using oxyclean free!

I never shop without my two kids and the "free" is off to the side on the label, so I never even noticed! Of course, how I missed the little blue things being absent, I still can't figure out!

I changed the recipe on page 1 to reflect this difference, so for those of you concerned about oxyclean....no, the OCF doesn't have the little blue things...I think it's just plain powdered hydrogen peroxide....and yes, it works great!

Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 08-15-2008 at 08:38 AM.
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #203
mama z
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry if this has been covered before

How do I add liquid Dr. Bronners to the mix seeing as how everything else is powder?

I haven't done a local search for washing soda but I think I can find it at Acme if my googling has served me well. I do have a question about it, though...how is it with hard water?? If I can't find it is there an alternative?

And I have Baby OxiClean. Is that ok??

I've been using Baby Oxiclean and Crunchy Clean with great results (after switching to a wet pail) and if I can make my own yummy smelling detergent with Dr. Bronners that would be awesome! Anyone know the ingredients of Crunchy Clean? I'm almost out of it and don't think the maker can ship to me fast enough...making my own might be mandatory!

Last edited by mama z; 08-15-2008 at 11:06 AM.
mama z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #204
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMoose View Post
Oh, before anyone gets too excited, you should know that "a load" of detergent is always the smallest load, so it's 4 cents for a small load and as much as 20 cents for a large load of really dirty clothes/diapers.

Of course Tide is 18 cents for a small load and 36 cents for a large load....if you buy in bulk and on sale...so it's still a lot cheaper to make your own!
I think there is a factor that is being left out in the calculations for savings:Water treatment costs are much lower with things like washing soda and OxiClean than the costs of cleaning water with Tide in it. And clothes/diapers free of residues will dry faster as well. So really, making your own detergent has some serious long term savings as well. Not just $$ wise, but for our planet as well.

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #205
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama z View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before

How do I add liquid Dr. Bronners to the mix seeing as how everything else is powder?

I haven't done a local search for washing soda but I think I can find it at Acme if my googling has served me well. I do have a question about it, though...how is it with hard water?? If I can't find it is there an alternative?

And I have Baby OxiClean. Is that ok??

I've been using Baby Oxiclean and Crunchy Clean with great results (after switching to a wet pail) and if I can make my own yummy smelling detergent with Dr. Bronners that would be awesome! Anyone know the ingredients of Crunchy Clean? I'm almost out of it and don't think the maker can ship to me fast enough...making my own might be mandatory!
When I experimented with the liquid I just kept everything in the original box and added it directly to the wash...1 tbls borax, 1 tbls washing soda, and 1 tbls liquid soap. I prefer Kirks though.

Washing soda shouldn't be a problem with hard water...I just have to use more detergent....and I haven't tried baby oxyclean, but I'm guessing it should work the same.

Crunchy Clean contains similar ingredients to this recipe, but I don't know exactly since the "contents" on the webpage don't list specific ingredient names.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #206
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I think there is a factor that is being left out in the calculations for savings:Water treatment costs are much lower with things like washing soda and OxiClean than the costs of cleaning water with Tide in it. And clothes/diapers free of residues will dry faster as well. So really, making your own detergent has some serious long term savings as well. Not just $$ wise, but for our planet as well.
I only posted the "savings" in financial terms because that's the way the question was posed (re: cost per load), but the "savings" in evironmental terms is significant as well when you consider that this detergent uses all biodegradable ingredients, as well as minimal manufacturing and packaging!

I'm so glad that things that are good for the planet are also good for our babies and our wallets!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #207
mama z
Registered Users

My Mood:

Crap...can't find washing soda locally.
Any alternatives?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #208
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just commenting in another thread that the planet is really an amazing entity. It truly provides everything we need and want.

As for finding an alternative, have you checked the hardware store for pH Up? I think it's the same thing. Didn't I read that earlier in this thread?

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #209
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

washing soda is just "sodium carbonate" so look for that where you buy pool supplies...someone posted earlier that ph Up is one brand, but I'm sure there are others.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #210
staceyleanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

just got my kirks i also bought a grater and used it instead of my food processor. just mixed it together in a freezer bag--very easy. i like the smell of the kirks much more than the fels napha! the fn is very strong. although it doesn't smell as strong on the clothing after it is washed and dried.

i also bought a bar of kiss my face olive and lavender soap and think i will grate that up and use it in another bag of detergent. i'll wash my sheets in it. hoping the lavender scent will last through washing and drying. if not i'm thinking of making some dryer sachets.
stacey
staceyleanne is offline   Reply With Quote