Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #501
Mouse
Registered Users

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

Both recipes work great for me! I have reather hard water and as long as I use calgon on my dipes every now and then they are fine. Though I have to use calgon even when I use Country Save. Persoanlly, I find this washes my pfs, flats and anything else 100% coton just fine with the regualr amount, but my mf and other pocket pieces seem to need a little bit more of the detergent to get clean. The stuff for the laundry works great though! I have severe allergies due to an auto-immune disorder, and there are so few detergents I can use on our clothes. It gets them nice and clean, and they always smell even better if I hang them on the line to dry! Which remind me I need a clothes line....

Advertisement

Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #502
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anyone added a packet of lemon koolaid (with out sugar kind) to the dishwasher recipie? I hear this helps?
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #503
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavypride View Post
I can't say what homemade soap is safe, but I will agree to the don't use it on hemp comment I accidently tossed in one of our Thirsties Hemp Fitteds in this soap recipe and DD woke up yesterday with a red butt. Literally every part her skin was touching the diaper, front, back, sides, were all pink/red. She does have mild exzema which could attribute to some of it, but it hasn't happened with the other diapers, inserts, or pockets that I've washed in it. I feel bad for putting that one on her now. I like the homemade laundry soap, but I will either have to wash her diapers in the laundry soap, or get diligent about washing the two hemp fitteds in different soap.
Do you think that was because of the Borax? I wonder if it would be good to use without the Borax?
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #504
BigButtSoWut
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
Anyone added a packet of lemon koolaid (with out sugar kind) to the dishwasher recipie? I hear this helps?

I did and it has greatly improved my dishwasher soap.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #505
TheBeeNest
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what does the Kool Aid help w/? I used the det. a few times and it left the white residue. Would the kool aid help w/ that?
TheBeeNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #506
BleedingBlack
Registered Users

My Mood:

I emailed Cotton Babies about using homemade cd detergent on BGs.... they highly advise against it as it may cause repelling, PUL & elastic issues. It also voids warrenty on new dipes.

I was disappointed that I cant use homemade detergent. But I think I will make the clothing detergent!
2 DDs Due with #3: August 30th, 2010!
ISO: Preemie & NB AIOs or Pockets or Patooshie Pants
IHA: 4 girly unknown WAHM Fitteds, S/M/L Maternity Clothing
BleedingBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #507
BigButtSoWut
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajordon View Post
what does the Kool Aid help w/? I used the det. a few times and it left the white residue. Would the kool aid help w/ that?

yes the kool aid helps with the white residue
Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #508
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaU View Post
Wow. That's all I can say.

I was just telling my DH the other day that I wanted to try making my own laundry detergent and here is the solution. As I want to make it as simple as possible, I think I'll just make the CD batch & use it for both the dipes & the clothes. I've been meaning to make some type of dryer sachets for scents. Anyone have any experience with this?

As for the dishwasher detergent...I may give it a shot as well. Since all of the ingredients will be on hand, I figure it couldn't hurt to try a couple of times.

For other household cleaners, I've been using my grandmother's recipe for window cleaner for years...1/2 cup ammonia, 1/8 cup white vinegar, 1 quart water. It works great and no streaks!

I was also happy to see that the mamas that had been using Charlies were happy with this CD detergent, as I've been using Charlies - and it's nearly gone!
I've been making my own dryer pouches for about 8 months now and I won't use anything else. I have even converted my parents to them. I use a 5" square, cotton pouch (usually a really bright print of heavier nap quilter's cotton) filled about 2/3 with flax seed and I take a 10" by 2" strip of heavy flannel, or corduroy, roll it up really tight and douse it with EO and put that in the pouch as well. But make sure that little strip is really rolled tightly and try to thoroughly saturate it with the EO, the scent lasts quite a while this way. Each pouch lasts me at lest 3 months, some have lasted for 5 months. HTH

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #509
MPwifey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Has anyone else's water turned a dark grey when washing with this for the first time? I read up to page 23 and I thought I saw something on it, but I wasn't sure. Oh and I am using the diaper recipe, but with regular clothes ( trying to simplify and having 2, DH might get confused and use the wrong thing)

Loving my hubby, momma to baby girl.
MPwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #510
TheBeeNest
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I added the kool aid and it helped w/ the white film!
TheBeeNest is offline   Reply With Quote