Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #511
larisabatchelor
Registered Users

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

I have a quick recipe for a liquid version of making your own liquid detergent

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value
4 Cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar or Ivory, Sunlight, Kirk's Hardwater Castile or Zote bars
1 Cup Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

Also have a recipe for some natural fabric softners:

Inexpensive Fabric Softener Recipes
Recipe #1
1 Cup White Vinegar
Add vinegar to rinse cycle. Works great. Removes residue and odors. Also helps to keep washing machine and hoses fresh and clean too.

Recipe #2
1 Container of Name Brand Fabric Softener
4 Inexpensive sponges, cut in half
Pour entire container of softener into a 5 gallon bucket. Fill empty softener container with water twice. (2 parts water to 1 part softener) Add sponges to softener/water mixture. When ready to use wring out extra mixture from one sponge and add to the dryer as you would a dryer sheet.

Everyone has there own version of detergent but I thought I would include some that I have been using for about ten years now and have worked WONDERFUL for our family...Merry Christmas everyone..

Advertisement

larisabatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #512
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I found Kirks at Hannafords it was hiding on the bottom shelf were they have the bar soaps.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #513
kristenb423
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I'm making the laundry soap and was wondering if I can use EO's to scent the detergent. I'm using the Kirk's soap, borax, washing soda and wanted to try different scents. Is this possible and how would I do it without getting clumps in the powder? Thanks!
kristenb423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #514
crunchymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dh decided to make some laundry soap today but he bought the Fels Naptha. That stuff has a nasty smell!! (Do I remember from reading this thread last night that Fels Naptha is actually a detergent bar rather than a true soap? I have an 8 day old and I am rather sleep deprived. I may have dreamed it. lol)

Anyway, is the barsoap on the kirksnatural website the Kirk's soap that's being referred to in the original recipe? (I have not posted enough to post a link.) There was some discussion about castile soap (like Dr. Bronner's) causing an oil residue, but the only Kirk's soap I could find online is also castile. Just wanted to make sure it's the right thing. I frequent the natural section of the local big grocery store (Wegmans - any other Weggies fans out there?) and also several area health food stores, and I have never seen Kirk's locally, so I may have to order it online. BTW - Weggies DOES have Borax, Washing Soda, and Fels Naptha, for those who are near one.

ETA: NEVERMIND! I just re-read the original post and see that the recipe calls for Kirks CASTILE soap. Forgive me.

Wife of 15 years to Mike, mom to Téa , Brynn , and Baby Noah . Bradley Method Childbirth Educator and Birth Doula

Last edited by crunchymommy; 12-28-2008 at 04:30 PM.
crunchymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #515
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestlyn View Post
I've used both the liquid and bar Dr. Bronners with equally good results. The bar requires chopping and processing, but the liquid requires clump breakup...so you need to work a bit either way
How much of the liquid did you use? TIA!
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #516
HPC1234
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tonight when we ran out of charlies, I had to wash diapers so I went out to Kroger to get some Bi O Kleen - they did not have it!! So I got a box of washing soda and fels naptha remembering it could be combined with borax to make detergent. I started with the fels naptha in the food processor and now my apartment is filled with a horrible chemical smell!!!!!! My DH is going to kill me - he has asthma and since my eyes are watering surely he will be on the rampage when he gets home. My advice - do not use Fels Naptha for anything!

Also, do not use any SOAP of any kind on your diapers including Kirk's which is made from coconut oils and will leave a residue.

Anyway, I looked on here and just stirred up a batch of the diaper detergent recipe (original on page 1) instead of using the fels naptha. It's in the washer now so we'll see how it works! I think Charlies is very very similar if not identical to this recipe.
HPC1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #517
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to remind everyone to read posts #2 and #3 on the first page!

90% of the questions being asked are already answered there...as well as some tips and hints!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #518
crunchymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just want to add for anyone interested: Yes, Wegmans does have Kirks! My husband picked some up there today. Smells soooo much nicer than the Fels Naptha. I can't wait to use it!

Wife of 15 years to Mike, mom to Téa , Brynn , and Baby Noah . Bradley Method Childbirth Educator and Birth Doula
Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #519
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um.... WOW. Has the laundry recipe caused asthma in anyone here????

I have been suffering from SEVERE asthma since October 5th. It started with a cold/flu thing and then morphed into extreme cough spasms, tons of phlegm, wheezing, and chest tightness. I've been coughing so violently that I pee my pants at least 1x/day and I've pulled muscles in my rib cage and, just last night, the side of my neck.

It has gotten progressively worse since it started almost 3 months ago. Finally, I had to go in for an urgent doctor's visit this morning. I am now on 20 mg of Prednisone to help control the inflammation but I'm still having terrible cough spasms with lots of phlegm.

The doctor has been talking about allergies causing asthma and it just baffles me as to why this would crop up NOW. Then it occurred to me tonight... the only thing I was doing differently around the time this started is I changed our laundry detergent to homemade. It took me about 30 minutes to find the post I made on the night I made a batch for the first time. It was September 29th.

COINCIDENCE? I hope so! Anyone else?

I don't understand it.
velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #520
crunchymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

velouria, could it be irritation to your airways rather than an actual allergy? I am thinking that, depending on which recipe and soap you are using, there may not be a lot to actually be allergic to, but I imagine that borax, washing soda, and soap can be quite irritating and sensitivity-causing. My daughters just tonight decided they wanted to try carving soap, so we let them go at it with a couple of bars of Ivory and a butter knife (kind of hard to really carve much of anything that way, but they were having fun) and they ended up sneezing and sniffling up a storm. I had to curtail the activity because of it.