Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #521
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

Hello mamas. I'm so excited about making my own detergent! I havent really had the time to shop around for washing soda yet, but I happened to be at walmart today and noticed they still had pool supplies out. I bought something called pH decreaser, the active ingredient is sodium bisulfate. Is this washing soda? Or did I get the wrong thing? TIA!

Advertisement

foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #522
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymommy View Post
velouria, could it be irritation to your airways rather than an actual allergy? I am thinking that, depending on which recipe and soap you are using, there may not be a lot to actually be allergic to, but I imagine that borax, washing soda, and soap can be quite irritating and sensitivity-causing. My daughters just tonight decided they wanted to try carving soap, so we let them go at it with a couple of bars of Ivory and a butter knife (kind of hard to really carve much of anything that way, but they were having fun) and they ended up sneezing and sniffling up a storm. I had to curtail the activity because of it.
Not sure exactly what it is yet... but irritation makes more sense than allergy at this point. But I'm STILL not sure what could be so irritating. We don't even keep the laundry detergent in the house; it's 2 stories down in the garage next to the washer & dryer.

I'm using 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup Borax, and 1 bar of Kirks natural soap.

I just filled the rx for my emergency inhaler and that doesn't seem to be helping all that much in addition to the Prednisone. I am still wheezing like a chainsaw and coughing up lots of phlegm.
velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #523
kara&aidansmom
Registered Users
Formerly: dau**jes***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by velouria View Post
Not sure exactly what it is yet... but irritation makes more sense than allergy at this point. But I'm STILL not sure what could be so irritating. We don't even keep the laundry detergent in the house; it's 2 stories down in the garage next to the washer & dryer.

I'm using 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup Borax, and 1 bar of Kirks natural soap.

I just filled the rx for my emergency inhaler and that doesn't seem to be helping all that much in addition to the Prednisone. I am still wheezing like a chainsaw and coughing up lots of phlegm.
My asthma has been totally controlled for the past few years, to the point where i don't even need meds anymore. Then a few months back i started trying to make my own detergent, too. Well now my asthma is back, though not as bad as yours. I've had a tight chest, coughing up phlegm, and was so short of breath recently i couldn't even read to my son (night after making a new batch). I know it's irritation from the washing soda or borax. The last batch i made i was fine until i added them to the bowl and stirred them together. They washing soda actually made my lungs burn. I found that mixing the ingredients in the food processor was the worst, but hand mixing gently with a spoon still did it. I have decided to no longer mix it in the house, it might be cold out, but i'll mix them in the barn from now on. It took me several weeks to get rid of the cough after the first batch, so we'll see how long it takes to go away this time. And i'm seriously considering no longer making my own at all once this is used up. Both my kids have asthma and i don't want them having trouble just to save a bit of money.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #524
crunchymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wonder if the liquid recipe is better because once it's done, there isn't any powder to float around and get inhaled. I'm going to keep an eye on this because my dh has asthma and my kids are allergy-prone. My dh mixed the last batch and hasn't had an attack, but maybe to be on the safe side, I should mix in the future.

Considering that some have had this trouble, O.P., would you mind adding a caution to the recipe post and a note that it should probably be mixed in a well-ventilated area?

By the way, so far we are loving our laundry detergent! :-)

Wife of 15 years to Mike, mom to Téa , Brynn , and Baby Noah . Bradley Method Childbirth Educator and Birth Doula

Last edited by crunchymommy; 01-02-2009 at 08:16 AM.
crunchymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #525
TheBeeNest
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Which one is better to use? Irish Spring or Ivory? TIA!
TheBeeNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #526
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you use other soaps than ivory or irish springs???
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #527
crunchymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxynursejo View Post
Hello mamas. I'm so excited about making my own detergent! I havent really had the time to shop around for washing soda yet, but I happened to be at walmart today and noticed they still had pool supplies out. I bought something called pH decreaser, the active ingredient is sodium bisulfate. Is this washing soda? Or did I get the wrong thing? TIA!
I'm not an expert, but I think the pool product that is actually washing soda increases pH, not decreases.

Wife of 15 years to Mike, mom to Téa , Brynn , and Baby Noah . Bradley Method Childbirth Educator and Birth Doula
crunchymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #528
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been doing this since summer and love it. I make the liquid as I think it makes more. Though I will have to switch to a different kind of soap as I have been using Fels Napa.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #529
Redmomma
Registered Users
seller

Washing Soda is Sodium Carbonate not sodium bisulfate.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #530
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Super! Thanks mamas!