Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #601
floweringmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshB View Post
So I've been using the diaper detergent for awhile, and I love it, but it seems like everytime my ds poops it stains. I'm doing a cold rinse, hot wash, and then an extra rinse. He's almost ebf, maybe 3oz per day of formula, and I've tried rinsing the diapers before throwing them in the pail too, and also washing them right away, but I still am getting the orangish stains from the poo. How do you guys NOT get stains-it's pretty much just on my prefolds?

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #602
isabelsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought Borax could ruin the elastic and was not recommended for cloth diapers. Thanks for the info on FelsNaptha- I was using that to make my laundry soap, but will switch to Dr. Brommer's or Kirks now.
Lisa, child of the One True King, momma to Beanie 5/08 , soon to be adoptive momma to Tank 6/13 and foster for now/hoping to be forever momma to Blue 1/13 and wife to the love of my life The Fun One 10/02
isabelsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #603
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

I've heard from *so* many people who are worried about Borax and elastic, but the amount here is really small.

I've been using this detergent on our diapers for a year now and the elastic is still going strong. In fact, I think the aplix will wear out before the elastic does at this rate!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #604
karobin
Registered Users

What about ZOTE soap ?? Wal-mart has that one and it sounds friendly enough from my research - a citronella scent but doesn't linger much.
karobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #605
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those that use the diaper det recipe, how much are you using in a large diaper load? How are your microfiber inserts if you have them?
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #606
elleystar
Registered Users
seller

I think it's only us newbies checking this thread anymore...everyone who's using this successfully must not know we have questions!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #607
DanelleB
Registered Users
seller

I found washing soda yesterday! I'm going to try to make my own soap, so once that's done, I'm going to make my own detergent. I also found some FO's locally and plan on making my own vinegar/FO fabric softener very soon. I'm so excited--I've been telling everyone that'll listen about it. My mom did bring up a good point about the powdered detergent. Anyone have any troubles with their pipes after using the homemade det for a while? I told her that you use such small amounts, it shouldn't make a difference, but I wanted to make sure, ya know?
DanelleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #608
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!

jswinks just did a blog about the laundry soap recipe and I wanted to give her some recognition and share her awesome *photo* tutorial!

http://ecoetsy.blogspot.com/2009/05/...n-laundry.html
Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #609
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

FYI...newbies, you're not alone!

I have no idea about Zote.

I use 1/4 cup detergent for my diapers (but if the MF really stinks I'll use some plain Dawn to strip them).

And after a year of answering questions I've never had any complaints about pipes, or diapers wearing out, or anything (except one mama who blew out her blender...oops!)
Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #610
joshsmomma
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I went to Meijer today to get the stuff to make the detergent. I was bending down to get the Kirks soap (of course it's on the bottom shelf and bending is sort of difficult with a baby strapped to the front of me.... anyway...) there was a store employee stocking some other soaps and she said to me that "there's all these great 'old fashioned' soaps" and she asked me if I've ever used Kirks before. I told her no, that I was going to make my own laundry detergent. She got all excited and asked me how. I told her and then walked down the aisle so DS could look at the fish. I heard her talking to another customer about it and heard her tell the lady how to make laundry detergent!! Sooooo cool!!!
joshsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote