Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #851
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!

Because this Thread Rocks! Thanks OP, I've been using this for years now, thanks to you!

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #852
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really want to try making my laundry soap, but am soooo scared to do so. I really want to also be able to use if for my diapers. Don't really like having 2 different soaps for laundry and diapers. If I would do you a bar of soap like Dr. Bronners, would that be ok to use on my laundry...What is the best recipe out there do you think to use for laundry AND diapers...Thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #853
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post
Anyone ever use Octagon soap for this? I know it is a laundry soap and it is sold by Kosher stores so I can use it. It is sold for $0.50 at an Amish store near here.
It reeksit's greenit's goopy
I splurge and use dr. bronners liquid castille. It works the best and it's all natural. And I'm still saving money. And I don't have to grate it.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #854
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't stand dr. bronners or kirks so I have been using Kiss my Face. Octagon does have an odd smell. Can't figure it out. But I have been using it directly on some grease stains and they came out.

When grated the octagon soap has the same creamy texture as kiss my face. It does not make a good liquid soap, but I am going to make a new powdered batch with the octagon today. I will report back.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #855
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanelleB View Post
Oxy clean is powder peroxide, or at least part peroxide--it's washing soda (sodium carbonate) and powder peroxide (sodium percarbonate). No need to add it seperately.
Yes, and don't forget to get Oxyclean FREE if you can! Regular oxyclean has those blue things in it, which the company won't reveal the contents of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirinsmomma View Post
Thanks OP, I've been using this for years now, thanks to you!

Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post
I can't stand dr. bronners or kirks so I have been using Kiss my Face. Octagon does have an odd smell. Can't figure it out. But I have been using it directly on some grease stains and they came out.

When grated the octagon soap has the same creamy texture as kiss my face. It does not make a good liquid soap, but I am going to make a new powdered batch with the octagon today. I will report back.
I've never heard of octagon soap, so I'm interested to hear your results!

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 11-19-2010 at 11:45 AM.
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #856
kcrfoster
Registered Users
seller

wanted to bump this up. I just bought some washing soda, borax, and fels soap to try on our cloths. If that goes well I am going to switch our cloth diaper laundry over with the oxyclean I bought the suns version. Does anyone know if Sun has a free version?
kcrfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #857
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if Sun has a free version, but the regular stuff I get at Wal*Mart doesn't have a scent or weird blue things. I found Kirks regular at Wal*Mart in the bath soap/body wash aisle. I discontinued the use of Octagon. I didn't like the smell and the local store stopped carrying it. Kiss my face seemed to build up on my diapers and it was expensive so I stopped using it. I use 1 bar kirks scent free, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax in five gallons of water. I use 1/2 cup per load of regular clothes and a splash for diapers. I haven't stripped my diapers since switching to this recipe. It works for my water, washer, and clothes/diapers.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #858
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What is this I've read about baking Baking soda for 30 minutes at 350F to make washing soda?

using my iPod. Watch out for inappropriate typos!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #859
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phridae View Post
What is this I've read about baking Baking soda for 30 minutes at 350F to make washing soda?

using my iPod. Watch out for inappropriate typos!
I would read more. I am not a chem major, but from what I understand sodium carbonate and sodium bi-carbonate have different molecular structure. I am not sure how the heat influences this but it would be just as easy to buy washing soda or soda ash.

and for the person who posted about oxiclean. I personally would not make this recommendation. The "optimal Brighteners" in the product are very hard on fiber content of your clothing/diapers and does not necessarily fall into the "natural" category. It is a choice, just noting so you can make the best informed choice for you. Personally I loved how white my clothes were with it, but in the end my stuff showed signed of wear and tear much faster.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #860
corrielainedd
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have read that Borax can basicly destroy PUL and elastic.. and using voids and new diaper's warrenty. I used a similar recipe right before I found that out, and had already stopped because, no matter how many times I rinsed, it burned DD's skin
SAHM/WAHM to DD1 born Nov. 20, '08, and DD2 Oct. 12, '10. Expecting #3 end of Jan 2015 (team green) wifey to my wonderful DH !
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cor...20931291290000
corrielainedd is offline   Reply With Quote