Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #81
ourfamilyof5
Registered Users
Formerly: jaydenandsethsmommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!

I use the 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 bar of Dr. Bronner's castille soap to wash our cloths but NOT our diapers. I use the Purex free & clear. That has worked really well for us. Witht he uncertainity if the borax is good or not good for the diapers I do not want to take any chances!

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #82
kara&aidansmom
Registered Users
Formerly: dau**jes***
seller

My Mood:

I talked with some people and borax is NOT alright to use with hemp. Hemp will hold onto the borax like crazy. It can cause really bad burn rashes and blisters. We did 1 load in it and my DS has some small blisters starting. So please, if you are washing hemp, DO NOT use borax!

Watch your other detergents, too. Many detergents contain borax. Some have a little bit and are ok, other have quite a bit and are not ok.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #83
mom2olivia1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so if borax is potentially not good for elastic contained dipes and certain proportions can cause blisters as well as particularly attach to fibers such as hemp and from what some have said that soap will eventually build up regardless of whether you notice a performance issue in cloth dipes then I would love to know the ingredients list and proportions any of you are using when making your own (knowing your water and perhaps other conditions will warrant proper testing to come up with custom variations) please feel free to list here...ONLY home made recipe's not using borax or soap and not one you are buying OTC.

THAT BOTTOM LIP DESIGNS
mom2olivia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #84
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby827 View Post
This is great stuff! I use the liquid version and Fels Naptha and haven't had any problems. I would love to try the other soap though. I use 1 cup borax 1 cup washing soda and 1/3 cup of grated fels naptha I heat it one the stove in a stock pot to melt it than put it in a five gallon bucket and fill it up. I've been using this for about 4 months and love it! I am still on my first batch, and it is excellent on my sons super sensitive skin. His excema has gone away completely since I changed over!
Just FYI - Fells Napatha is NOT a natural soap. it is a detergent bar. It is basically the same detergent that comes in regular laundry soap, just in a bar form.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #85
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Wow! This thread took off! I've been away on vacation and I'm going to PM people with specific answers, but here's a short list for those just reading the thread.....

Laundry Soap is for your laundry, Diaper Detergent does not have soap.

Washing soda can be harsh, but baking soda can be harsh too! I have used both and DD got burns from the baking soda so I prefer the washing soda.

If your diapers don't come out super-yummy-clean-smelling....use more detergent! LOL...it really is that simple...don't be afraid to use more!

I leave my soap in a warm spot before slicing so it's pretty soft and easy to puree in the processor. I just wash off the processor and let it air dry before using on food. If you choose a harder soap, or don't let it soften, then it might be better to try the cheese grater!

I have heard bad things about Ivory in this recipe, but I don't remember where, so I'm just throwing that out there for consideration.

See the second post in this thread for more info on Fels Naptha.

The amount of any one ingredient in this recipe is so small that I don't think you'd have to worry about your elastic or PUL. I use 1/4th cup in a large load and I haven't noticed any change in my diapers (HHOS, FB, BG) in the past few months.

If you get lots of bubbles, or tons of dirty water...it's from your old detergent washing out!

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 07-30-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: readability
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #86
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughertyjessica View Post
I had the same problem yesterday. My pockets were mostly clean smelling, but not all, and everything else was stinky after the wash. I too used 1 tbsp. I think i'll just stick to my CS.
Use more soap!

The amounts I gave are just guidelines....you'll have to experiment a little to see what works for you!

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 07-30-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarification
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #87
4lillovelies
Seek and you shall find
seller

My Mood:

I am going to try this too!

Search and win withSwagbucks
4lillovelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #88
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2olivia1 View Post
so if borax is potentially not good for elastic contained dipes and certain proportions can cause blisters as well as particularly attach to fibers such as hemp and from what some have said that soap will eventually build up regardless of whether you notice a performance issue in cloth dipes then I would love to know the ingredients list and proportions any of you are using when making your own (knowing your water and perhaps other conditions will warrant proper testing to come up with custom variations) please feel free to list here...ONLY home made recipe's not using borax or soap and not one you are buying OTC.

There isn't any soap in the diaper detergent recipe I listed, but if you're looking exclusively for soap-free and borax-free you could go with washing soda and a squirt of simple-green!

Of course that's not guaranteed to be irritant-free because washing soda also has potential to cause irritation. So does baking soda! It all depends on the type of water you have (hard/soft, iron deposits, minerals, etc) and the little bottom you're covering!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #89
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

BTW, this is how I find the detergent most effective with my hard water and top loader.....

cold rinse (no detergent)
hot wash/cold rinse (with detergent)

I only do one rinse before washing (cold, to avoid setting in poop stains) and one rinse after.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #90
kara&aidansmom
Registered Users
Formerly: dau**jes***
seller

My Mood:

I only posted the info about the borax as i was cautioned by a very reputable retailer. She was very concerned that my DS and others would have bad reactions to it. She did say the oxi-clean and washing soda are ok, and that the recipe needs a surfactant of some type (olive oil soap, simple green, something).

I just wanted other to know in case they came upon this rash. We used this recipe 2 times and my DS did get the blisters.