Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
sadie.j.
Registered Users

My Mood:
working/pumping questions...

I'm re-starting school this August. This time, its Pharmacy school which means that I'll be gone all day, everyday. DS2 will be only 4 months old when I start and exclusively breast-fed. I read that freezing milk robs it of some enzmes and white blood cells and generally isn't the best way to store milk.

What do you guys do? Do you pump, refrigerate at work and then freeze milk at home? I was thinking that I could pump at school, refrigerate and then give that to the babysitter the next day?

I was also thinking that I would have to do a couple extra pumpings before I go to work for an emergency stash in the freezer.

Uhg. I really don't want to go back to school so soon, but this will really help out the family if I can become a pharmacist and make some really moolah for a change. Its worth it, right? The pumping I mean. I have always hated pumping I feel like Daisy being plugged in to the milker (I'm from WI, dairy cow images are part of my DNA)

Advertisement

sadie.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: working/pumping questions...

How old is your infant and have you tried to bottle feed DS? There is a period between 0-12 weeks that if a bottle is not introduced the baby might not take it.
Freezing may not be the best way to store milk but breast milk is MUCH better than formula no matter how it is stored. (3,6,9 - 3 hrs outside, 6 days fridge, 9 months frozen). I keep 3 or 4 bags frozen just in case, but I pump as much as DD eats (or more) and then give it to the nanny the next day. I call everyday and ask how much DD has eaten so I know how much I need to pump.
Don't beat yourself up for it if you can't pump and manage your school. We all have to do what we have to do and DS2 will thrive on formula also. As an adult no one ever ask if you were BF or FF as a child.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
mg1278
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie.j. View Post
What do you guys do? Do you pump, refrigerate at work and then freeze milk at home? I was thinking that I could pump at school, refrigerate and then give that to the babysitter the next day?

I was also thinking that I would have to do a couple extra pumpings before I go to work for an emergency stash in the freezer.
I went back to work when my daughter was 12 weeks old; the month before I went back I started pumping early in the morning to build a freezer stash. I pump at work, store the milk in the cooler bag that came with my pump (Medela PIS) and then transfer to freezer bags at home. I send 2 bottles to daycare each day. The morning bottle is made with freezer stash milk. Her afternoon bottle is made with milk I pump that morning. I was going to do what you talk about - just using the previous day's pumping (no freezing needed), but I have a gigantic freezer stash that I'm trying to rotate through. I would use freezer stash milk for both bottles, but she sometimes sleeps through the afternoon feed. Since thawed frozen milk is only good for 24 hours, I use fresh/fridged milk that the bottle could be recycled the next day if she doesn't take it.

Good luck to you - going back to school does sound like it will be a good thing for your family in the long run!
mg1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
mnmama
Registered Users
seller

I usually use the milk from the day before. If there is some left over, that's fine with me. I've been freezing a bag every Friday which I'm ok with. It's better than having to haul the pump back and forth in my eyes. With my first, I didn't make enough during the day, so I had to pump at night. Oh and I absolutely 100% hate pumping. Hate is not too strong of a word for pumping. I'm hoping to quit pumping prior to Grace's one year birthday, I hate it so much. Whenever my freezer stash allows me to, I will.

Oh and like someone mentioned, frozen still has great nutrients in it. Fresh is just ideal that's all.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
JennyWLS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always use whatever I have fresh in the fridge and just keep going through that until the end of the week, and then I freeze anything extra that I won't need for Monday (I use Friday's milk for Monday).

I don't freeze a whole heck of a lot because I hate laying out the cash for those bags LOL!

Our Total Money Makeover Blog
JennyWLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I froze a stash before I went back to work(pumped once a day) Sure some of the properties of the milk are lost.. but it's still way better than alternatives (IMO) and my dd's were ebf for 5 1/2 months and 7 months with no issues

ps yeah pumping makes me feel like a cow too
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)

Last edited by joy7s; 07-14-2008 at 01:54 PM.
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't read all of the replies so some of this may of been already said. I EP'd for my DD since she was like 4 days old. I pumped enough BM to last her to her 11 month birthday and I stopped 5 months prior to that. BM does loose some of it's qualities being frozen and even refridgerated but it is still has a lot more benefecial properties to it still, plus it's "free". Here is a website with a table as to how long your expressed milk will be good for in the fridge freezer, deep freeze.
What I did was I would pump and freeze it in ice cube trays, label a ziploc freezer bag and put it in the deep freezer. Then at night we would pull out the oldest milk and thaw it out for the next day. The nice thing about the ice cube trays is they were an ounce so I could just count out how many cubes she would need for the next day. Plus they laid flat when stacked on top of each other.
By doing the freeze thaw rotation I never had really old milk in my freezer and I also never worried about not having enough (until the end).
To make it through all the pumping I recomend getting a good double electric pump (Medela PIS is the same as the hospital grade Lactina) and making yourself a pump bra.....seriously saved me! Here is a link on how to do that. The one thing I did different was got a sports bra that zipped in the front that way I didn't have to fiddle with putting the straps on or clasping it in the back.
GL with your schooling and decisions....from one dairy cow to another MOO!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
your.cyn
Registered Users

I've been pumping at work for 6 months now. I pump enough for one day at a time, and DS uses it the next day. Any leftover goes into the freezer. We've started using some of the frozen stash to mix up fresh baby food.
your.cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
sadie.j.
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey thats a good idea: frozen milk and baby food. I'll remember that one.
sadie.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pumped and froze 3 oz every day of my maternity leave, starting when DD was 8 days old. This was my backup stash.

I pumped at school 3 times a day-when I got there at 7, lunch, and right before I left at 4:00. I then also pumped at 11:00 pm after DD was in bed, and for awhile at 4 am when she woke up, I pumped one side after I fed her the other. I also pumped at least twice a day on weekends. Whatever was left over on Friday, I froze, and then used the weekend sessions to get ready for Monday.

Long story short...IT SUCKED.

But...I didn't get enough milk just pumping at work to keep up with DD who ate every 2 hours, and the extra sessions were necessary because I'm too cheap to buy formula, since BM is free. I stopped pumping at a year, and DD had frozen milk for breakfast every morning til she was 14 months, and every bottle til she was 13 months.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-16-2008 at 09:43 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote