Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Daycare, what to do??

Hi there, I am a nurse 3 nights a week and my husband is a stay at home dad. Our daughter is 5 months old and we've had people tell us that when she starts crawling and getting things herself we should put her in daycare, even if it's just for a few hours a week, for socialization. Has anyone tried this? We thought about it and maybe 1-2 days a week for an hour or two while we go eat lunch or shopping. Is it necessary at this age? Does it really make that big of a difference? Any opinions, info, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks mamas

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare, what to do??

IMO, that's just silly. Your LO gets plenty of "socialization" from being with you and DH. Really. That's just weird. I wouldn't pay for childcare just so LO could be with other people? It's really just a preference. I prefer to keep my babies with me as much as possible (GASP!) ESPECIALLY if I'm working and away often.

Plus, it's hard to find p/t childcare like you're talking about unless you have a "mommy's day out" program in your area (and if you do I'm jealous). Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and money on something like this. Besides daddy can take her to lap sit story time for FREE at the local library and the playground to "socialize" with others. JMO.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
IMO, that's just silly. Your LO gets plenty of "socialization" from being with you and DH. Really. That's just weird. I wouldn't pay for childcare just so LO could be with other people? It's really just a preference. I prefer to keep my babies with me as much as possible (GASP!) ESPECIALLY if I'm working and away often.

Plus, it's hard to find p/t childcare like you're talking about unless you have a "mommy's day out" program in your area (and if you do I'm jealous). Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and money on something like this. Besides daddy can take her to lap sit story time for FREE at the local library and the playground to "socialize" with others. JMO.
The Montesorri school up the road has a mommy's day out program and we ere thinking about that. However, we prefer to have her with us, she is never lacking stimulation ,in my opinion, and she is happy, healthy, and right on target for a 5month ols, even though she was preemie, 4lbs. But, people keep telling us she needs to be around other kids.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, from what I've read and heard, most babies really don't get the whole "socialization" thing until after they turn 1. Before then they get all they need from you. I think if you are looking to get her around other babies, I'd join a playgroup. All she'll get from a daycare is a cold (at least that is how it was for us :S)
Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
midominga
Registered Users
seller

Join a playgroup that will give her the "stimulation" she would need at that age. My kids didn't really start socializing till 2 (daycare or momdayout). 5 month old only really needs you and daddy.
midominga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! That is exactly what I was thinking. I figure when she is old enough to walk around and communicate, then I will make sure she is around kiddo her age and gets to interact. Until then I think I will keep her with me and DH where she belongs!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Forgive me, I haven't read all of the replies.

That is ridiculous IMO to send your child to daycare for the sake of socializing, there are so many other opportunities to socialize other than daycare.

If you're worried about her not getting interaction with other kids, then join playgroups or other social organizations that involve kids. Even when she's older, there are plenty of ways to get socialization other than daycare. Shoot at 5 months a trip to the grocery store or farmers market where she gets to see every day life is a huge adventure!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with all the other mammas. Also being in larger groups at a young age just means more chances of spreading germs and being sick. Seriously socialization before 2 is just a preschool gimmick (I use to be a Dir. at high end structured learning center for infants and preschoolers). Now the Gymboree and Mommy & Me stuff is really more for the mammas than the child. Children first learn parallel play and its not until 1 1/2 to 2 do they really start socializing with peers.