Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
~sarah~
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Question Eye exam for a 1 year old?

Has anyone had one of their LO's in for an eye exam when they were around 12-13 months old? Sean's pediatrician referred us to the eye doctor for an exam. Sean has had a big head ever since he was born. It has been off the growth charts since he was 6 months old. The pedi thinks that it is just a familial trait and nothing medically wrong but wants us to get the eye exam to check for pressure.

How in the world does a 1 year old sit still for an eye exam??? Any experience you have would be greatly welcomed. TIA!

Advertisement

~sarah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Eye exam for a 1 year old?

Logan had to have an eye exam before he had his tear ducts probed when he was 14 months. He just sat on my lap and the doctor did what she needed to do. She used a bunch of small toys and a video of a dog or something accross the room. It actually went really well.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im sure you are seeing a pediatric opthlamologist, they are quite skilled at getting done what they need.

it wont be the "typical" eye exam that an adult, or even older child would get...they uses lenses and lights basically to get it done

Anderson and TJ (my baby and 3 year old) have had eye exams since birth, due to being premature

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
~sarah~
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
im sure you are seeing a pediatric opthlamologist, they are quite skilled at getting done what they need.

it wont be the "typical" eye exam that an adult, or even older child would get...they uses lenses and lights basically to get it done

Anderson and TJ (my baby and 3 year old) have had eye exams since birth, due to being premature
No, it's the same eye doctor that my DH and I go to. I figure that they must know how to work with kids or our pediatrician wouldn't refer us there, at least I hope so.
~sarah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Mama2Noah
Registered Users

My Mood:

my eye doctor does free routine eye exams for little ones 6 months to a year. We are planning on taking ds next month. Not sure how they do it, but if you have a doc who does it regularly I'm sure they have tricks. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

My daughter has a larger-than-average head, too... always had it from day 1 (she had a 14.5" head when she was born), but she's not off the charts.

Never had to have my daughter's eyes examined, but my partner's mom is really pushing that we do it, because DD is sensitive to sunlight. I don't think it's necessary (for her), because she has light blue eyes (just like me) and is no more sensitive than I am.

I hope that he handles the appointment well!
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son went in for an exam around that age (he was running into things constantly that should've been obvious and we wanted to make sure he was seeing ok) and he did great. I wondered how they would do an exam also, but he had a blast and got to play with toys and didn't act the least bit bothered. I think the Dr. had more fun than he did because she commented on how they don't see babies very much, although we did take him to a pediatric practice. It won't be bad and they did figure out that my son was seeing just fine. I'm sure things will go very well for your little guy as well!
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
mtchen79
Registered Users
seller

A pediatric ophthalmologist isn't the only person who can examine a child's eyes, a general ophthalmologist and optometrist are very qualified to do the same as well.

Basically, the doctor will look at your little one and a lot of this can be done with your child on your lap the whole time. There are activities that distract the child but also give the doctor useful information that help to assess the overall vision and the ocular health. The doctor will rely on "objective" testing instead of "subjective" testing. It's no biggie and your little one will do great.
Mom to DD1 02/07, DD2 03/09 and #3 in 01/12
mtchen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

With DS I sat in the chair and held him while they examined him.

He was only 6 months and he did great!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sarah~ View Post
No, it's the same eye doctor that my DH and I go to. I figure that they must know how to work with kids or our pediatrician wouldn't refer us there, at least I hope so.
I wouldn't take my kid to an optomotrist if there were ANY indi3ca.tions. that something might be wrong. I would take him to an Ophthomologist. My DD first started seeing one when she was barely 4 years old. She couldn't read or anything and he got what he needed just by dialting her eye and looking into them. She went to an optomotrist for the first time a year ago (she is now 8 y/o). I only go to an Optomotrist for the "simple stuff" i.e. new glasses and make sure my Rx is up to par. I would demand a new referral for an Ophthomologist. If there is something to your son having eye problems, and Optomotrist can only do so much, and I'm really surprised your pedi would refer you to an Optomotrist at all.