Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #101
deshablue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehungry98 View Post
Ok, I lied ~ my mom used a strange combo (2 small MF inserts in a med. FB) and holy crap ammonia smell. I'm about ready to throw in the towel on diapers...our water bill is becoming super high due to all the special washing and extra rinses

Are prefolds this difficult to wash? If I switch to all prefolds am I going to have the same issues, or will that effectively solve my problem? There could be a pretty decent sized diaper stash (freshly boiled...grrr...) going up on FSOT in a few days...
We have a stash of mostly fitteds and PFs and the PFs NEVER smell - isn't that funny - probably because they wash really well and dry really fast -I don't know what size you need but I have some GMD Yellows...

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #102
mehungry98
Registered Users

Desha ~ I JUST this morning ordered some yellow GMD PF...shoulda waited a few hours :P We've been using premium PF on my 17 month old and they are huge! I measured and the yellow (even though the site says they won't) should fit DD. She is tall and skinny, so the weight and age guesses are off for her :P

As far as my wash routine...I don't usually make it so complicated. Rinse, wash with extra water and Allen's detergent (1/4 scoop) and then an extra rinse. Rinse again if more bubbles. If I use more detergent I'm forever and ever rinsing the detergent out. If I use less, I get bad ammonia.

For stripping, I've tried (not all at once):

A squirt of Dawn in the wash followed by rinse after rinse until no bubbles
Boiling
Bleach (not sure if that one counts)
Rinsing and rinsing and rinsing until no bubbles (but without Dawn to begin with).

Someone on another site suggested Bac Out to me, so I think I might check at our HFS when I go later today...

Any other ideas?
mehungry98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #103
Honduh Chicken
Registered

My Mood:

Quote:
Desha ~ I JUST this morning ordered some yellow GMD PF...shoulda waited a few hours :P We've been using premium PF on my 17 month old and they are huge! I measured and the yellow (even though the site says they won't) should fit DD. She is tall and skinny, so the weight and age guesses are off for her :P

As far as my wash routine...I don't usually make it so complicated. Rinse, wash with extra water and Allen's detergent (1/4 scoop) and then an extra rinse. Rinse again if more bubbles. If I use more detergent I'm forever and ever rinsing the detergent out. If I use less, I get bad ammonia.

For stripping, I've tried (not all at once):

A squirt of Dawn in the wash followed by rinse after rinse until no bubbles
Boiling
Bleach (not sure if that one counts)
Rinsing and rinsing and rinsing until no bubbles (but without Dawn to begin with).

Someone on another site suggested Bac Out to me, so I think I might check at our HFS when I go later today...

Any other ideas?
Bac Out was the answer for us. We soaked in diluted amount of bac out, and switched a a very small amount of country save, and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. The Bac Out pulled SOO much built up detergent out that it took us literally 5-7 no detergent wash cycles to get it all out. Another thing that helped was I let the wash machine spin (rigged up the lid switch with a screw driver) so it would spin with the lid open, and while it was spinning, I shot the sprayer from sink hose onto the diapers.

Knitting, CD'ing, Family loving, Earth loving, Diaper sewing Daddy!
Honduh Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #104
mehungry98
Registered Users

Ok, I'll try the bac out We have a FL, so I can't do the lid up thing (though DH did have our old washer rigged that way for some reason...can't remember exactly why now!), but I'll try soaking in bac out. Do you think it would be just as effective to soak in a big bucket as in the washer? I haven't figured out a way to soak in the washer we have, because if you pause it while it's full, it just leaks out the door (when you hit pause, the door unlocks :P).

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #105
Honduh Chicken
Registered

My Mood:

Quote:
Ok, I'll try the bac out We have a FL, so I can't do the lid up thing (though DH did have our old washer rigged that way for some reason...can't remember exactly why now!), but I'll try soaking in bac out. Do you think it would be just as effective to soak in a big bucket as in the washer? I haven't figured out a way to soak in the washer we have, because if you pause it while it's full, it just leaks out the door (when you hit pause, the door unlocks :P).

Thanks so much for your help!
The bucket method is how we did it too. This helps because the water in the bucket get's disposed of before it's tossed into the washer, along with some of the soap it's stripped off.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #106
mehungry98
Registered Users

Thanks again! I called out HFS and they're out of the Bac Out but ordered some for me...I'll have to wait until Thursday to try it out...
Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #107
Honduh Chicken
Registered

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks again! I called out HFS and they're out of the Bac Out but ordered some for me...I'll have to wait until Thursday to try it out...
We have a co-op grocery store in our town called "Outpost Natural Foods" that carries it. If you have something similar you might be able to get it there.

Bio Kleen doesn't list them on their site, they actually don't list very many people at all...

Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #108
deshablue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Bac Out was the answer for us. We soaked in diluted amount of bac out, and switched a a very small amount of country save, and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. The Bac Out pulled SOO much built up detergent out that it took us literally 5-7 no detergent wash cycles to get it all out. Another thing that helped was I let the wash machine spin (rigged up the lid switch with a screw driver) so it would spin with the lid open, and while it was spinning, I shot the sprayer from sink hose onto the diapers.
Oh how I wish they sold Bac Out in Canada, or would ship here...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #109
momoftribe
Registered Users

My Mood:

i can get the bac out but where can i get the charlies soap?
momoftribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #110
mehungry98
Registered Users

As far as I know you have to order it online, unless you have a CD store in your area that carries it...I've not seen it at any B+M store.