Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #121
Shel9365
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

Great thread! Adding a pot of boiling water, just a couple drops of blue dawn and a bunch of rinses stripped my dipes wonderfully.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #122
mamasneedlove
Registered Users
seller

Holy cow it worked! I seriously thought after a year on my kiddo these were going to bite the dust, but I washed ALL DAY. Must have been at least a half dozen runs through the washer on hot wash. First with Dawn, then with nothing twice, then with Bac-Out, then dry. No good. Then more Dawn (two LONG squirts from the big bottle, and I have a FL, I was desperate), two more washes, one more wash with Bac-Out (like a 1/3 cup or more). They still repel a little, but the water I dripped on it actually went through without my help! Hooray! I'll try the whole thing one more time to see if I can get better results.

Jen
mamasneedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #123
tdjbmusic
Registered Users

What about cover stink? I bought used bsww's and rikki's and a new bumkins and they all stink after one use, even after I rinse them. The bsww's even leak, ahhhh!
Thankfully the pf's don't have a stink issue. I did hang my stash out in the sun and it helped with the stink for a few days but now the stink is back. Please help me.
tdjbmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #124
Honduh Chicken
Registered

My Mood:

I'm so sick of the stinkies. When I get home I'm going to burn my entire stash.

Knitting, CD'ing, Family loving, Earth loving, Diaper sewing Daddy!
Honduh Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #125
TracyFace
Registered Users

My Mood:

This list really helped me! I don't have nearly as bad stinkies with my FB and microfiber inserts anymore. I had been using All Free & Clear. Now I use Allen's liquid. This has helped a bunch by not having to strip as often. I just sanitized my inserts but I still have issues with my actual pockets.
diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html
TracyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #126
SiemTeam
Registered Users

My Mood:

After trying several of the remedies on this site the one that worked wonders for my BG OS is Biokleen All Temp Laundry Powder. I went to buy Biokleen Bac-Out, but my store didn't carry it, so I bought the Laundry Powder to try. It is WONDERFUL! I just wash the BG as directed using this detergent.

***If anyone knows of a reason that I shouldn't use it, please let me know!

Thanks, and good luck!
SiemTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #127
nillarilla
Registered Users

My Mood:

Can you safely bleach PUL or do you have to separate inserts and covers/pockets?
nillarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #128
deshablue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Can you safely bleach PUL or do you have to separate inserts and covers/pockets?
I wouldn't recommend using a chlorine bleach on most things relating to cloth diapers - It will breack down elastics and PUL - they yellow, become brittle & crack. With other diaper fabrics it will wear them out more quickly - Think of that old white T Shirt with the holes in it that everyone has Unfortunately synthetic fibers like microfiber, PUL & Fleece do tend to smell more than natural fibers You could try an oxygen bleach!?!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #129
margiemomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar11977 View Post
RLR!!!!! Awesome stuff! DS was getting red sores on his inner thighs today so i bought some RLR(we have only been cding 1.5 months so far so im surprised i needed to do this) and i had 1 thirsties aio that had a stink to it that wouldnt wash out with oxiclean, bacout, baking soda or vinegar. RLR did the trick- I already washed the dipes with allens and did an extra rinse, dumped the packet of RLR in the washer, ran 3 hot/cold cycles, then a quick cycle and took all my hemp and pockets out, then ran another 2 quick cycles and no smell!! Im hoping this lasts and i dont have to strip all the time
what is RLR?? I am so new!!
margiemomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #130
littlerabbits
Registered Users
seller

I switched to a wet pail when my diapers had the ammonia stinks. Solved the problem. Now I love the wet pail method. I use an old detergent bucket, I don't push the lid down all way (it would be too hard to get it off!) My son is 3 and doesn't have any interest in playing with the bucket. If you have smaller children you would need to put the bucket in a safe place!
littlerabbits is offline   Reply With Quote