Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #131
freedance13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

I am wondering if the using Bac-out with pockets has been answered yet. I didn't see it anywhere so I am thinking I will only use it on my inserts.

I was also wondering if anyone has had any experience with Vask? It's what I have been using since I started, 2 1/2 months ago. So far so good except for a few inserts are starting to smell and 2 of my pocket hybrids.

Advertisement

freedance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #132
Abbyam
Registered Users

I have been using vinigar while I rinse and drying out in the sun which seems to help. I love reading all the other suggestions!
Abbyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #133
NiNo_Mama
Registered Users

I've used vinegar in the rinse cycle, but I'm still having stink issues.

I'm going to try the Dawn/hot water suggestion.

This may seem like a silly question, but for the bleach suggestions: if I use that for pocket diapers that are colors (Fuzzi Bunz or BumGenius, for example), will that take the color out?...
NiNo_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #134
johnna
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not a very seasoned cd'er here, but I have definately noticed that using a natural material for an insert can make all the difference as far as stinkies go! But I still have yet to master the art. My pockets smell like a barnyard and they leak. It's so frustrating.
I am off to the health food store tomarrow!!! I want to try Country Save & Bio Kleen Bac Out first...what do you think? PS Do hfs's sell bac out?
johnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #135
deshablue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
using a natural material for an insert can make all the difference as far as stinkies go
Definitly! Natural fibers don't seem to smell nearly as bad - Anything with synthetic fibers like PUL or microfiber does seem to smell barnyardish quickly - having said that many mamas still find the benefit of their convienience worth the stink!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #136
Erynne-L
Registered Users
seller

Well, I've been CDing my 3-wk old son for about a week and a half now, and this morning I washed a full load of pockets and stuffers using my normal routine, and when I went to take them out of the wash to put in the dryer, they smelled very oddly of MOTHBALLS. Yeah, I know!

So I tried putting in a scoop of OxyClean with the All Free-and-Clear detergent I normally use, and washed them on a hothothot cycle. That seemed to get rid of the odor! I'm doing a cold water cycle now with no additives, rinsing the remainer of the residue out of the dipes.

Has anyone else tried using OxyClean? Does it work okay? Have I just done harm to my dipes that will come back and bite me in the butt in a few months or years?

- E

Erynne-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #137
deshablue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have used Oxyclean - my only warning would be to wrinse wrinse wrinse - I had a bad experience once where I didn't wrinse enough and burned one of my babe's bums - I felt just sick about it
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #138
Textile_Mike
Registered Users

Investing a little time into understanding your local water chemistry and how it interacts with your detergent can virtually eliminate the need for stripping.

Stripping becomes necessary when calcium and magnesium minerals buildup on the fibers of your diaper making fabrics. The mineral buildup is the same white or red residue you find around taps and drains. .

Hemp and cotton, bamboo, rayon, silk, are the most susceptible. Least susceptible are the hydrophobic fibers polyesters, nylon, polypropylene (fleece, micro fiber).

Understanding what happens.

Most household water supplies are hard (about 90 in the USA and Canada). Typically they are high in ions of magnesium and calcium.

Magnesium and calcium interfere with a detergent’s ability to clean and sanitize fabrics, that’s why detergents work better in soft water. In addition, drying fabrics evaporates moisture but leaves behind dissolved minerals. Every wash adds to the microscopic crusty plating on fibers, which after time restricts the fibers from absorbing. This mineral plating creates additional of grip surface for soils and bacteria so you often get staining and odor as they become mineral plated. When that becomes noticeable, it’s time for stripping!

Prevention

Hold on – I’m putting on my armored suit before I debunk a couple of myths. The most common problems are: diluting detergent doses and using the wrong type of detergent.

First let’s look at basics of detergents. Detergents come in 2 basic types, those with builders & surfactants, and those with surfactants only. Surfactants are the parts of detergent that soften and release solids, all detergents have this part. Builders are ingredients that soften wash water by tying up the magnesium and calcium ions. Softening the water makes the surfactants work better, in addition those minerals are flushed with the water so they do not create mineral deposits on your fabrics.

The big brands, Tide, Cheer, All etc have sophisticated manufacturing capabilities and the ability to formulate and manufacture ‘builders’ at low costs so their detergents have them. Most boutique brands, Charlies, Allens, etc. usually leave builders out of their formulation simply because they are too expensive to produce in small volumes. Without builders, the calcium and magnesium interfere as mentioned above.

Detergents work best when match the hardness of your water. Most of us have hard water, so big-brand detergents with ‘builders’ will almost always be better at cleansing and reducing mineral buildup. If your water is naturally soft or you have a water softener, the boutique detergents should work fine (you probably never have stripping problems anyway).

The next problem is low dosing detergents. Many diaper manufacturers tell you to use a fraction of the detergent recommended by the detergent manufacturer for reasons that are not always in your favor. Low dosing can extend the life of fabrics (good), however it also reduces performance, particularly absorbency, and makes diaper a lot harder to sanitize. When you reduce doses, the surfactants are not sufficient to soften and lift soils from the fabric so residual soils are left in the form of stains and traces of poop residues. These residues can react quickly with urine to form skin irritating ammonia and slowly with moisture in the air to form a barn smell odor, so getting them out of your diapers is a priority. Next, low dosing renders the builders ineffective as they are not available in sufficient volume to soften the water. This exacerbated the problem by making surfactants less effective AND leaving the calcium and magnesium deposits behind on your diapers.

Conclusion

Stripping is a cure. Selecting the right detergent and dose can eliminate the need for stripping in most cases.

If you’re one of the 90% that has hard water, use brand name detergents with builders softeners. They will get your diapers cleaner and may eliminate the need for stripping all together. If you have soft water, you have more choices; use the brand you like best!

Use the recommended dose of detergent. Not only will your diapers get cleansed more completely, using the right dose eliminated buildup that leads to stripping.

Last edited by Textile_Mike; 04-22-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Textile_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #139
deshablue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Textile Mike - What a great post!

I was wondering if you could perhaps enlighten me on the chemical name of the 'builders' so that I can look for it on the label or enquire about it with a brand name detergent company?

I am leary of the other additives in many big name detergents as they can leave residue too... a detergents biodegradabilty is also an important factor to our family and many of the big brand detergents don't biodegrade or do so very slowly...

but from your post it sounds like a big name detergent without additives like fragrance, fabric softener, enzymes or optical brighteners would be good (maybe tide sensitive) OR a detergent without additives like Claudia's or Country Save (the latter is actually really cheap) with an added softener like Calgon...Hmmm very interesting! We have very hard water and I know the Calgon helps...

I was also wondering if you happen to know what anionic and nonionic surfactants are? I saw them on a detergent label amd was reluctant to buy the detergant because I did not know what they were.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #140
paperjam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you use bleach with colored diapers? I want to bleach my BG's because I have stains and stink issues. I have been using these for about 6 months now and they are just starting to smell. I was surprised. But I don't know what to do to get the stains and smells out. Just wondering what works...
paperjam is offline   Reply With Quote