Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
PoconoPrincess
Registered Users

Re: Diaper Stink Remedies

CD Virgin here. My son is due in a few weeks. I plan to try what I use for my dogs when they have accidents in my house! Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda! I found even tho I shampoo up a pee spot, it still can have the ammonia smell. I found this recipe online and it truly works wonders. What it is for urine smells is on bottle of peroxide, about 15 oz, and one or two tsp of baking soda. Mix and soak the stain and let air dry. Then vacuum up any remaining baking soda. I plan to try this with the diapers. I will spray the dipes with the solution then wash them...

Advertisement

PoconoPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
AidynElyMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

When the stinkies hit, we OxyClean all of our inserts and prefolds, works like a charm and they come out nice an fresh. For regular loads we use vinegar in the rinse cycle.
AidynElyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
MiksMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoPrincess View Post
CD Virgin here. My son is due in a few weeks. I plan to try what I use for my dogs when they have accidents in my house! Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda! I found even tho I shampoo up a pee spot, it still can have the ammonia smell. I found this recipe online and it truly works wonders. What it is for urine smells is on bottle of peroxide, about 15 oz, and one or two tsp of baking soda. Mix and soak the stain and let air dry. Then vacuum up any remaining baking soda. I plan to try this with the diapers. I will spray the dipes with the solution then wash them...
Have you had any problems with the carpet color bleaching or fading from the peroxide? Ours is a really lite tannish, and I'll test it somewhere hidden first - but just wanted to check if you've had any issues?? Also, do you spray it on or just pour/drizzle to saturate the stain?

TIA!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
mckomet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

i've read somewhere online where a momma soaked her dipes in a tub overnight. i can't remember who/where or if there was anything else involved.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
LadybugMom757
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've tried Dawn and Oxiclean, and both seem to retain some of the smell in my dipes. Instead, this is what I do (this is for a large load):

1.Short cold wash
2.HOT wash with nothing
3.HOT wash with an initial 30-60 minute soak (our washer has a 30 minute soak and then continues the wash cycle), using 12 squirts concentrated Simple Green and 1/4 c. White King (basically Sodium Carbonate=Washing Soda)
4.Then do another hot/warm or warm/warm short wash to thoroughly rinse.

(Make sure you dissolve the WK and SG in the hot wash water before adding the dipes. I usually take the dipes out and then put them back in after everything is mixing already)

I use this on my pockets and inserts, and dry them in the dryer on medium heat. They smell BRAND NEW!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
lakerhart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiksMom View Post
Have you had any problems with the carpet color bleaching or fading from the peroxide? Ours is a really lite tannish, and I'll test it somewhere hidden first - but just wanted to check if you've had any issues?? Also, do you spray it on or just pour/drizzle to saturate the stain?

TIA!
My DD went through a phase of rubbing poop in the carpet and just straight peroxide will get it out too. I POURED it on and let it sit for a while and dabbed and scrubbed the carpet. It got out the stain and the stink of the poop and didn't bleach the carpet. Our carpet is light gray though. I would test on darker carpet.

Last edited by lakerhart; 07-29-2008 at 03:13 PM.
lakerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
kar11977
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

RLR!!!!! Awesome stuff! DS was getting red sores on his inner thighs today so i bought some RLR(we have only been cding 1.5 months so far so im surprised i needed to do this) and i had 1 thirsties aio that had a stink to it that wouldnt wash out with oxiclean, bacout, baking soda or vinegar. RLR did the trick- I already washed the dipes with allens and did an extra rinse, dumped the packet of RLR in the washer, ran 3 hot/cold cycles, then a quick cycle and took all my hemp and pockets out, then ran another 2 quick cycles and no smell!! Im hoping this lasts and i dont have to strip all the time
Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
baylandria
Registered Users

I don't use very much detergent (I use free and clear) on a hot extra long cycle...then every few washes...I run them a 2nd time with vinager. But, I am getting lots of good ideas here!
baylandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
octobersweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my diapers got really stinky I boiled them for a couple minutes in a big stock pot. Probably not the best thing to do for elastic and I didn't do anything with PUL, but I've only had to do it once in almost 2 years of CDing. It was a last resort - nothing else I tried worked (bleach, Dawn, vinegar, different detergents, etc). I was worried about the snaps but they (and the elastic) seem to be fine. That's what worked for me!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
manymillers8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How much bac-out do you use in a FL? And do you just squirt it onto the dipes, or add it by the capful to the water?