Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #51
cryssi1978
Registered Users

Re: Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

My amazing 11 year old DD has found a great way to get the stinkies out. I have yet to have to wash dipes because every time the pail even gets half full, she takes them and cleans them. She throws vinegar in the downy ball for every other load and we rarely have stinkies. When we did get some really stinky ones she said let's use what we used when the cat had the accident on the couch. Take the clean dry diapers and hang them out on the line. In a spray bottle mix 50% water with 50% vodka. Spray them down and let them dry. Then run them through one cycle as normal and no more stinkies. This also gets rid of cat pee smell if your furry family members are accident prone.

Advertisement

cryssi1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #52
wesevanmom
Doo Doo a Da DA its all.....
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublentwins View Post
I'm sorry....I'm still fairly new to CDing (6 months) and I use 99% BG 3.0 dipes. They have horrible ammonia smell when DS pees in them and I have tried using dawn to strip the inserts. No luck. My regular wash includes cold/cold full cycle with nothing in it. Hot wash/cold rinse with soap to the 1 line of All Free & Clear. Then probably 4-5 cold rinses. My questions are...
Should I be doing something differently?
Is bleach okay for BG -- both inserts and cover?
Is vinegar okay for same?
I don't want to ruin my diapers!
Cottonbabies recommends bleaching every month or so to get rid of stink in the microfiber.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #53
ebony_vbac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont know if i should post here if i'm making this thread unecessarily longer. but i dont know if i have stinkies, i dont think i care if i do. i assume diapers with pee on them will stink. but my bgs are not as absorbant as they used to be. i think they would last 8 hrs with one insert without leaking now it's more like 2. i've stripped them once maybe 6 months ago. someone told me to strip them every month. should i only strip the inserts? my elastic is super shot is that from boiling them in the pot. some of my leaks are from gaps in the elastic i know. my routine is cold rinse for poopy diapes after vinegar soak, then add all diapers and wash in cold with baking soda, and sometimes an extra rinse of the poopy diapers if i had maggots. which i've gottne all summer. i only wash onces a week and use cold water which are no nos so i should expect to strip often right. i've never heard of lemon juce, i line dry when its not cold
Old 10-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #54
dizzywaif
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the hints, mamas!
dizzywaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #55
spindletosashes
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't forget to keep the lid OFF of the pail! That makes a huge difference!
spindletosashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #56
thecowgirl
Registered Users

Location: Coupons & Freebies Mom, sharing freebies & deals! www.couponsandfreebiesmom.com
My Mood:

just discovered this thread. it rocks! this is what works for us.

"Like" Coupons & Freebies Mom on Facebook for more HOT FREEBIES!
thecowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #57
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
WOW! I'm inspired! I love that drying rack!
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #58
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryssi1978 View Post
My amazing 11 year old DD has found a great way to get the stinkies out. I have yet to have to wash dipes because every time the pail even gets half full, she takes them and cleans them. She throws vinegar in the downy ball for every other load and we rarely have stinkies. When we did get some really stinky ones she said let's use what we used when the cat had the accident on the couch. Take the clean dry diapers and hang them out on the line. In a spray bottle mix 50% water with 50% vodka. Spray them down and let them dry. Then run them through one cycle as normal and no more stinkies. This also gets rid of cat pee smell if your furry family members are accident prone.
Good excuse for me to buy a bottle I think I'll have to try that
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #59
Sytera
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have to second the power of the sun and the question of using bleach.

That being said, when our diapers stink, I can't afford to do the extra rinses. We used to live in a house with our very own washer and dryer. Now, we live in an apartment and use the laundry room. It costs me $1.50 per load to wash and $1.00 to dry. So, I do one hot wash/cold rinse with Soapnuts and then sun them as often as possible. If it is cloudy out, I put them in the sewing room with the fan on.

About once a month, when I go visit my parents, I toss white vinegar in the softer compartment on their washer and then dry them in the dryer. They come out so soft and clean.
Sytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #60
SeanieBeansMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
This is getting built either before the dh deploys or I will build it while he's gone!!! I am sick to death of $230+ electric bills!

Thanks so much for all the tips!! I have Calgon and Dawn and will be strippping tomorrow. I have some Nellie's soap on the way for future washes. I was using a free and clear, but my ODS is getting blisters from some kind of allergy to it. It's the same free and clear I've always used too...My 2mn old is also showing signs of an allergy to it. I am so glad I found all this information. Although I've been cding for 1.5yrs, I always wind up with stink issues. Hopefully by the end of tomorrow they will be gone. All dipes, clean or dirty, are getting stripped. I'll let ya'll know!!