Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
shannong
Registered Users
seller

need some help with this please!

Hi!

I am 30 weeks PG with baby #3. I am still nursing DS2 about 5-6X a day (he just turned a year).

With Each of my boys, I have started out with a great supply. Very engorged having to pump just to feel comfortable etc. Then at about 2 months PP AF comes back and rears her ugly head. That is when my supply starts to tank. We are talking BIG dive. I have taken More milk plus and lactuca verosia to combat this as well as pumping with a Medela symphony. The drop in supply is so bad that my boys both have been low weight gain and even FTT because of supply issues and reflux. Even though we nurse on demand.

My question is What can I do to combat this vicious cycle for baby #3?

any advice would be greatly welcomed

Shannon

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
MagnoliaWhisper
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: need some help with this please!

Have you been tested for PCOS?

Also have you tried dom?

What I would also do, just from what I hear about others. I would pump, after each feeding right from the get go (it's easier to keep a supply then to rebuild it, as you have learned).

So to keep the supply better, I would pump no less then 8 times a day, along with breast feeding as much as possible. I would pump after eat feeding. Right from birth. That way your supply doesn't get a chance to go down.

Also while your having that engorgement problem, I would freeze, freeze, and freeze some more.

If I had your problem, with baby 3, I would in fact actually pump mor ethen 8 times a day if possible right from the beginning, I would pump like 11 times a day if at all possible. I know hard, hard, hard work, but it may help, I don't know.

I'm just tossing out things, I have heard from others. I know about supply issues as I have had them too, so I've kind of got a bank of ideas in my head about baby number 2, and how I will do things differently based on tips I've heard from others. So the above are the ones I have banked in my brain for my own baby number 2.
MagnoliaWhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
shannong
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for replying to my post.

No, I have not been tested for PCOS directly, but I have had many rounds of blood work done. We had to go through fertility treatments to get our 1st son. I DO have endometriosis though.

As for DOM, I ordered it to use when DS2 was 7 months old and then I found out I was PG with DD. SO I have not actually used it yet. I plan to use it with DD. Just not sure when to start....

I own a Medela Symphony because of m y previous supply issues and I am (unfortunately) VERY familiar with pumping 8X a day. It IS alot of work, but I will do that if I have to. I was pumping a good 3-5X a day when I had the engorgement and that milk got use through almost till 1 yr (we had to supplement due to low weight gain) then I had a close friend donate milk to me so we made it to our 1 year. DS2 is still nursing about 3-6X a day. I just want to prevent as much of this vicious cycle as possible.

Thanks again for replying

Shannon

p.s. I also wanted to share a link with you that I found about combating supply issues http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/art...ssysupply.aspx
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
MagnoliaWhisper
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the link, I'll look at it.

I would really wonder if the endometriosis (sp) doesn't have to do with the milk supply problem. I would ask a ob/LC. And make sure.

Also I would start taking the DOM probably as soon as possible. Is what I am thinking. I will too, I think with the next child.

Good luck! I hope it goes better this time!
MagnoliaWhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
shannong
Registered Users
seller

I have asked an LC and she doesn't think so, but I wonder.... I am glad the link helped you

Shannon