Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping at work after 1 year?

Mamas to kids over 12 months, do you still pump at work? What do you do?

Right now I pump twice a day at work and manage to make enough to give to ds the next day, we haven't had to formula supplement yet, but it takes a lot of time from my day to go up twice.

I don't mind it for right now but in September, DS turns 1 and I go to school full time as well as working part time, and I'm not sure if I will have the time to pump the same as now.

What do you guys do? What's your routine like at 12 months, what is the ratio between breastmilk and solids? Is it possible to have a baby not eat during the day but power nurse at night?

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
mnmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pumping at work after 1 year?

I despise the pump. With my first, I didn't pump a day past one year. Heck no!! We switched to cow's milk while I was at work and nursed when we were together. I know lots of people are against cow's milk, and some kids can't tolerate it, but soy works too.

There is no way I'll pump past one year this time either.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was a reverse cycle baby from the start so she didn't take bottles while I was at work. I continued pumping until she was 22 months. She didn't eat solids at all until she was 12 months.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I continued to pump until about 15 months. I went away in April and it screwed up what I was able to pump while at work.

Also, I just got busy...and didn't have the time. I'd only get 2 oz and I really had to get other things done. He had BM from the morning and by that time was drinking some cows milk and just started juice.

I recently bought a pump (I had one from WIC and returned it a few months ago). I'm not sure if I will pump at work. I don't get painful engorgement anymore...KWIM?

OH, my LO is 18 months and I think he drinks so much milk at night (that's another story) and I really don't know if we'll be stopping in December (he'll be 2). He loves to !
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I work part-time (every morning 8-12:30) and I would only pump once during that time. So when my kids hit 1 year, I started introducing raw cow's milk by putting some cow's milk into their regular bm bottle for daycare and slowly increased the amount of cow's milk until it was all cow's. When I got to that point, I stopped pumping at work (but kept nursing when I was w/ the kids). So for Gavin, I stopped pumping at 13 months, and with Claire, I stopped at 14 months. Gavin continued to nurse until 18 months and Claire continued until 30 months! GL - I hate pumping!!

Oh, and honestly I can't remember how much they nursed at 12 months, Gavin probably about 5 times (not counting the milk bottle at daycare) and Claire probably more (she LOVED her "mamo"!) Gavin was a big solids eater, Claire was not. Gavin slept through the night no problem, Claire was still waking at least 2-3 times to eat. So no idea what your LO will do! But I will say their sleep/wake patterns didn't change because I introduced cow's milk.

Last edited by kezoo; 07-11-2008 at 09:04 AM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pumped at work until a month ago (when ds was just barely 11 months), but I quit when my supply seriously tanked due to the new pregnancy. I had a good stash in my freezer, so it's only been a little more than a week that I've had to switch him to formula at daycare. Now he takes 10 to 12 ounces of formula at daycare and gets one or two good feedings at home, from me. We have upped his solid food intake a little bit, but mostly he's adjusted to the decrease in nursing by being more willing to take bottles at daycare. When my supply was good, he knew he could just wait it out by subsisting on fewer than 8 ounces at daycare, and nurse a lot at home!
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
schmerna
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmama View Post
I despise the pump. With my first, I didn't pump a day past one year. Heck no!! We switched to cow's milk while I was at work and nursed when we were together. I know lots of people are against cow's milk, and some kids can't tolerate it, but soy works too.

There is no way I'll pump past one year this time either.

I hate the pump too! I am going to slowly decrease my number and length of pumping sessions, then give it up. He will be getting cow's milk when we are apart. We will nurse when we are together until he gives me up.

Last edited by schmerna; 07-14-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
schmerna is offline   Reply With Quote